Alfons Rebane

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
CAS

Alfons Rebane

Post by CAS » 11 Sep 2005, 20:54

Does anybody have picture(s) of Estonian Waffen-Standartenführer Alfons Rebane wearing oak-leaves?

Tapani K.

Post by Tapani K. » 16 Sep 2005, 13:44

Rebane won his oakleaves in the last days of the war and actually was not notified of the fact until after the war, in the 1970's IIRC. Therefore, I do not think he ever wore the actual decoration. I am at work now, but will check for more details once I get home.

regards,
Tapani K.

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 17 Sep 2005, 08:31

I agree with Tapani, Rebane didn't receive the decoration in the field, and thus there are no wartime photos of him with it.

Tapani K.

Post by Tapani K. » 19 Sep 2005, 09:20

Hello again!

I checked a bit and it looks like this: At the end of the war there were some rumours that Rebane had been awarded the Oak Leaves but no official notification reached Rebane at the time. The archives were moved to Great Britain and returned to Germany in 1975. At that time Rebane asked if the rumours held any truth and he was then notified of the fact that Dönitz had awarded him the Oak Leaves and also promoted him to Standartenführer. I have a book that shows a picture of Rebane’s decorations, shoulder boards and such and although the picture is not very good I believe there is an EK with Oak Leaves there. I assume this means that he somehow received the Oak Leaves some time after 1975 and before his death in 1976.

regards,
Tapani K.

Edit: Corrected the year of death.

Reinuvader
Banned

Post by Reinuvader » 12 Jan 2007, 17:33

hello

Here is some pic about Alfons Rebane.

http://www.freewebs.com/alfonsrebane

CAS

Post by CAS » 12 Jan 2007, 23:01

Hi,

Thanks for the link. I actually visited this site from a link on wehrmacht-awards earlier today. There are some good pictures of Rebane which I haven't seen before.

Thanks again,

Regards,

CAS

Reinuvader
Banned

Post by Reinuvader » 22 Jun 2007, 20:52

Hi! Some pic about young Rebane, when he started his military carer.
:|
Alfons Rebane in Estonian Military school. 1928.
School end. 1931.
In Estonian army. 1932.

1976. German doc, thath Rebane have oakleaves.

More NEW pictures is here! http://www.freewebs.com/alfonsrebane/eestiarmees.htm

VascoTrain

Re: Alfons Rebane

Post by VascoTrain » 29 Nov 2019, 05:24

I know this is old but, the Dönitz decree (Karl Dönitz declaring all recommendations to the knights cross and/or oak leaves or swords, accepted) was declared illegal by the German court back in the 90's or early 2000's. So that basically means that the oak leaves he received after the war by the knights cross association( which he was apart of, so possibly could of contributed to him getting those oak leaves) is not an official decoration to him.
thank you,
Vasco

Tapani K.

Re: Alfons Rebane

Post by Tapani K. » 29 Nov 2019, 15:16

Hello,

Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight%27 ... Iron_Cross gives us this:
Grand Admiral Karl Dönitz, as President of Germany and Hitler's successor as Head of State and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, soon declared that "All nominations for the bestowal of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and their higher grades which have been received by the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht — staff of the Wehrmacht high command — until the capitulation becomes effective are approved, under the premise that all nominations are formally and correctly approved by the nominating authorities of the Wehrmacht, Heer including the Waffen-SS, Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe all the way to the level of the field army and army group leadership."[24]

This "Dönitz-decree" (Dönitz-Erlaß) is most likely dated from 7 May 1945. Manfred Dörr, author of various publications related to the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, requested legal counsel on this decree in 1988. The Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt) came to the conclusion that this decree is unlawful and bears no legal justification. This blanket decree is not in line with the law governing the bestowal of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross which requires a case by case decision.[25]
regards,
Tapani K.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”