Degrelle's 1945 flight to Spain

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Chris Sykes

Degrelle's 1945 flight to Spain

Post by Chris Sykes » 04 Nov 2005 10:32

The Duchess of Valencia wrote in her book on Degrelle that his plane took off From Norway with 4 comrades on Board. Who were these four individuals?

Jean Mabire wrote in his book on the "légion Wallonie" that when Degrelle met Himmler on 2 May 1945 he was accompagnied by Cpt Robert du Welz and Cpt Charles Generet. Were these two with Degrelle on the flight to Spain? If so what happened to them (Degrelle was severely injured in the crash landing)?

It seems that the pilot was called Alberto Durigent. Was he Spannish? Was he from the "Legion Azul"? Was he Speer's pilot?

Lots of questions, first visit to your forum. Thank you in advance for your help

Daniel Laurent

Post by Daniel Laurent » 04 Nov 2005 14:12

A source where you may find what you are looking for or, if needed, ask for it:
http://leondegrelle.org/
Regards
Daniel

narwa44

Post by narwa44 » 06 Nov 2005 21:56

Hello,
With regard to whom accompanied L. Degrelle on his escape to Spain, apart from the German crew only Walloon Robert DuWelz accompanied him. Duwelz died in Spain after the war. Charles Generet accompanied Degrelle as far as Copenhague, then quit there and managed to join the French Foreign Legion. He was killed in Indochina.
Yours,
Eddy De Bruyne

Chris Sykes

Post by Chris Sykes » 07 Nov 2005 11:32

Thank you very much Mr De Bruyne. I am very happy to get this information from a reliable and respected source.

Can you shed more light on Charles Generet? I have not found his name in any books which deal with the military activities of the "légion Wallonie". Was he a shadow polital figure active in occupied Belgium?

Last but not least, would you have a date and place for du Welz's death? We actually found some original paper work dealing with the iron cross given to him in Pomerania. That is the reason for our interest.

Sincerely,

Chris Sykes

narwa44

Post by narwa44 » 07 Nov 2005 12:03

Chris,

DuWelz lived in San Martin, Spain. He died in 1964. He was awarded the EKII for an action during the Estonia campaign (August 1944). I do not know of an EK (I ?) in Pomerania.
Charles Generet was a teacher of Latin and Greek enrolled in August 1941. No political activities in Belgium apart from the fact that he became a member of Rex. He performed combat duties during the 1941-1942 winter campaign and the 1942 Summer campaign as a NCO.
He then attended the 11. Kriegslehrgang at Bad Tölz and was promoted SS-Ustuf on 01.04.1944. He did not return to the unit but was sent to Kienschlag-Neweklau academy where he acted as a teacher (Heerwesen) during the next walloon sessions.
He did not participate in the Pomeranian campaign.
Hope this helps.
Yours,
Eddy De Bruyne

Chris Sykes

Post by Chris Sykes » 08 Nov 2005 13:56

Dear Eddy,

I stand corrected. With the certificate in front of me, I confirm that ss Untersturmführer du Welz Robert was given the EK 2nd klasse on 20/08/44.
The certificate is signed by SS General Steiner. Next to the date we find the letters "K.Gef.St.", not sure what this stands for. Will get you the text of the nomination but do not have it with me.

More questions for you if I may. Why was du Welz picked to escape with Degrelle? Were they old friends? Why did he and Generet accompagny Degrelle to see Himmler? They were not important players.

sincerely,

Chris

narwa44

Post by narwa44 » 08 Nov 2005 14:42

Chris,

For the simple reason that du Welz had been his orderly since 08.08.1941. Degrelle en du Welz enlisted on the same day, same spot ( see photo in For Rex and Belgium ). Du Welz had been in charge of Degrelle's daily needs, etc...some kind of handy man and luggage carrier since the beginning of the Eastern Front adventure.
Degrelle met Himmler at random. Generet and du Welz happened to be present. As Degrelle did not speak a single word of German (apart from Führer which he pronounced in the French way ...Führère ), Generet acted as an interpreter.
Yours,
Eddy De Bruyne

Chris Sykes

Post by Chris Sykes » 16 Nov 2005 09:39

Dear Eddy,

Sorry for the late reply. As promised, here is the text typed on something like school paper:

"Kampfgruppe Ruelle
O.U. le 27.08.1944

Est cité à l’Ordre du Jour du Bataillon
L’Untersturmführer du Welz Robert

Arrivant en mission près du Commandeur au moment où un panzer soviétique venait de couper les communications avec le Kampfgruppe wallon et s’emparait des camions indispensables au transport de nos troupe ; est parvenu à rassembler quelques hommes, a bondit sur les camions, les remit en marche et les sauva ; a reçu du Général Steiner la Croix de Fer 2e classe."

Do you known what O.U. stands for? A place name most probably.

Chris

jv
In memoriam

Degrelle in Spain

Post by jv » 22 Nov 2005 23:10

Degrelle of course lived in Spain under the protection of Franco's regime, holding frequent interviews glorifying his time during the war. I came across this photo from a Dutch magazine with one of Degrelle's post-war interviews. It's interesting that Degrelle designed this uniform himself proudly showing off his awards. jv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 26 Nov 2005 17:16

Hi Everyone -

Chris: "O.U." in German military parlance refers to "Orts Unterkunft." Roughly translated, it means "In Garrison."

Hi Eddy: I just checked the French government database of KIAs for Indochina and the only Generet listed was a Jean Marcel Henri Generet, born 5 November 1913 in Doubs. He was KIA on 27 December 1952 on Hill 38 at Phu Ly. Is this the same person? (By the way, those who joined the Legion and were afforded new identities are listed under both names in this database.) Do you possess further information on his death?

Best regards,

George

Helly Angel

Re: Degrelle in Spain

Post by Helly Angel » 27 Nov 2005 04:26

jv wrote:Degrelle of course lived in Spain under the protection of Franco's regime, holding frequent interviews glorifying his time during the war. I came across this photo from a Dutch magazine with one of Degrelle's post-war interviews. It's interesting that Degrelle designed this uniform himself proudly showing off his awards. jv

JV,

I think this uniform was not designed by Degrelle, this uniform was official uniform cocktail in the SS, I can´t remember the correct name but in this forum you can found a lot of photos with SS officers wearing white uniforms like this.

Best regards,

jv
In memoriam

Re: Degrelle in Spain

Post by jv » 27 Nov 2005 22:53

Helly Angel wrote:
jv wrote:Degrelle of course lived in Spain under the protection of Franco's regime, holding frequent interviews glorifying his time during the war. I came across this photo from a Dutch magazine with one of Degrelle's post-war interviews. It's interesting that Degrelle designed this uniform himself proudly showing off his awards. jv

JV,

I think this uniform was not designed by Degrelle, this uniform was official uniform cocktail in the SS, I can´t remember the correct name but in this forum you can found a lot of photos with SS officers wearing white uniforms like this.

Best regards,

Hi Helly Angel,

You may be right. I'm not an expert on SS regalia. In the interview (unfortunately it's in Dutch) he claims that he designed the uniform himself. I do not know if you have ever read a Degrelle interview during the time he spent in Spain but he was a braggart, i.e. he always extended the truth a bit further to make him look good. Listening to him you'd think that he single-handedly fought the war (a bit like a John Wayne war movie, if you see what I mean). jv

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 28 Nov 2005 01:37

Hehehe I understand you JV, I did read "Hitler para 1000 años" (Hitler to 1000 years) by Degrelle, he is very popular in my country, I enjoy too much your posts and photos because are very informative, thanks!!

Ironmachine

Re: Degrelle's 1945 flight to Spain

Post by Ironmachine » 21 Feb 2009 18:12

Chris Sykes wrote:The Duchess of Valencia wrote in her book on Degrelle that his plane took off From Norway with 4 comrades on Board. Who were these four individuals?
Jean Mabire wrote in his book on the "légion Wallonie" that when Degrelle met Himmler on 2 May 1945 he was accompagnied by Cpt Robert du Welz and Cpt Charles Generet. Were these two with Degrelle on the flight to Spain? If so what happened to them (Degrelle was severely injured in the crash landing)?
It seems that the pilot was called Alberto Durigent. Was he Spannish? Was he from the "Legion Azul"? Was he Speer's pilot?
Lots of questions, first visit to your forum. Thank you in advance for your help

According to an article about Degrelle's flight to Spain published in the number from October 2004 of Revista Española de Historia Militar, Degrelle was in the plane with Robert du Welz and the four members of the crew: Albert Duhinger (pilot), Gerhard Stride, Georg Kubel and Benno Epner. The plane, an He-111H.23 (code TQ+MU), was Speer's personal plane and this was the usual crew.

chicho

Re: Degrelle's 1945 flight to Spain

Post by chicho » 02 Apr 2009 04:09

Ironmachine wrote:
Chris Sykes wrote:The Duchess of Valencia wrote in her book on Degrelle that his plane took off From Norway with 4 comrades on Board. Who were these four individuals?

According to an article about Degrelle's flight to Spain published in the number from October 2004 of Revista Española de Historia Militar, Degrelle was in the plane with Robert du Welz and the four members of the crew: Albert Duhinger (pilot), Gerhard Stride, Georg Kubel and Benno Epner. The plane, an He-111H.23 (code TQ+MU), was Speer's personal plane and this was the usual crew.

I want to learn more about this subject, I am Benno Ebner's grandson....

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”