Nordkaukasische Legion !

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Armenische_Legionar

Post by Armenische_Legionar » 05 Dec 2005, 16:40

Larry

OK, fine!
Thanks!

Georgien

Post by Georgien » 05 Dec 2005, 23:44

Larry

Which biography of Canaris are you referring? to HITLER'S SPY CHIEF : The William Canaris Mystery by Richard Basset?

most of the books about his biography (I have read couple of them due to my interest of Canaris for a while now) concentrate more on his career before WWII as admiral and his best years as chief of Abwehr. Very few times did they mention foreign volunteers in Abwehr II units. The latest bio about him by Basset is more about his connections with British intelligence agency.

But i want to thank you for dedicating time and looking up for info in books about him. Indeed Admiral Canaris (most dangerous men in the world as soviets called him) was one of the most interesting personalities in Germany that time. As for his connections with Georgian government in exile, I got the info from the Gablianis book (officer of Gerogien division under Abwehr II). Gabliani himselve visited Canaris on some occasions. His also despised Hitler and wanted to collaborate in the plot against him. In fact as gabliani claims many members of Georgien Abwehr II division hated Nazi regime.

I will start translating that part from Georgian into English if anyone would be interested. His memoirs are very interesting and controversial.

All the best Larry and thanks again!

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 06 Dec 2005, 14:46

Georgien -

Yes, Canaris is an interesting case. Here is the only biography of him that I have:

Abshagen, Karl Heinz. Canaris. London: Hutchinson, 1956. Hb. Dj. 264p.

So much of what Canaris did was in secrecy that none of his biographers have been able to tell his entire life story. I think there is much that he did that we will never know about. The Abwehr is a fascinating subject and one that has not been fully explored yet.

Anything you might find time to translate regarding the Georgian military formations in the Wehrmacht and the Georgian involvement with the Abwehr would be of interest, or course.

Cheers,

--Larry

Georgien

Post by Georgien » 07 Dec 2005, 00:23

Dear Larry,

I would highly recommend you to get the new bio about Canaris, HITLER'S SPY CHIEF : The William Canaris Mystery by Richard Basset

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/029784 ... s&v=glance

The author did an excellent research and used many different and reliable sources. The most interesting part of this book is 1939 just before 'Operation Green' against Czechoslovakia. Canarsi masterminded coup with the support of the generals to arrest Histler if he would attack the Czechs. However, thanks to Chamberlain, the plot failed. It is a fascinating book. There are lot of new facts based on the memoirs amd diaries of British intelligence officers, the surviving Abwehr men and many more. The book starts with his adventures in Chile on the war ship of Dresden, Spanish civil and finally ends up with his Abwehr years and execution.

As for Givi Gabliani, i will starts translating interesting facts about the connection between Georgians in Berlin and Canaris. He just published his memoirs in Tbilisi but unfortunately they are in Georgian. He has many interesting facts about the people he met and places where he got the training for Abwehr (italian alps). Many Georgians that time in berlin had an admiration and great amount of sympathy for Admiral Canaris. Specially Prince Tsereteli and members of Georgian aristocracy in exile in France. Gabliani even claims that many Georgian POWs were saved due to an effort by Canaris and Georgian Congress in Berlin. Therefore, they had some serious connection. Both sides shared their hatred for Hitler and the Nazi regime.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 07 Dec 2005, 00:34

Both sides shared their hatred for Hitler and the Nazi regime.
Yes, that's one of the most interesting aspects of the Abwehr leadership and many of the people around it: they hated Hitler (but feared him) and wanted to get rid of him.

Thanks for the Basset recommendation. I've added it to my list.

--Larry

LMA-17

Post by LMA-17 » 12 Dec 2005, 03:14

Any infos or pics of Nordkaukasiche Sonderkommando ‘Schamil’ ?

Thanks

Semenov

Unternahmen "Shamil"

Post by Semenov » 13 Dec 2005, 01:00

Hi,
Unternahmen "Shamil" - it is small unit from Abwehr (Rgt. 800 ?) and foreign volunteers. CO - leutnant Lange. It formed for sabotage on Groznyj oil refining factory. In this operation also participated georgien agents from "Tamara II".

Regards!

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 13 Dec 2005, 01:17

Operation "Shamiel"
An Abwehr II airborne sabotage expedition to the Caucasus under Hptm. Lange that was designed to foment an insurrection among Caucasian ethnic groups and then link up with the advancing German ground forces. Although the group penetrated as far as Groznyy, the primary objective was not achieved. Another source claims that it was "a paratroop attack in the Maikop area for the protection of the oilfields."

There are two postwar interrogation reports on Operation "Shamiel":
1. U.S. Third Army Intermediate Interrogation Report 8;
2. BAOR 031/G0927/II ("BAOR" means British Army of the Rhine).

So, as you can see, there are three different versions of what "Shamiel" had as its objective: (1) foment insurrection; (2) sabotage the Groznyy oil refineries; and (3) protect the Maikop oilfields. Which is correct?

Semenov

Re

Post by Semenov » 13 Dec 2005, 01:25

In soviet documents claims that it was attempt capture Groznyy oil refineries, but it was unsuccefull and unit has established connections with chechen insurgents.

LMA-17

Post by LMA-17 » 13 Dec 2005, 02:33

Larry D. and Semenov, thank you for your infos.
Any infos about the composition of the members nationality? I also like to know about the background of the name uni. Was it came from Imam Samil name?
Related with Chechen rebels, was the unit could establshed contact with Hasan Israilov group? I also read that although failed to capture Grozny refeniries, they succeded to escape and back to German line. How they could that?

BTW, is there any book which have good enough infos about the unit operation?

Regards

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 13 Dec 2005, 14:32

LMA-17 -

I don't know the answers to your questions, but here are some books that might have a lot more information on "Shamiel":

BENTZIEN, Hans. Division Brandenburg: Die Rangers von Admiral Canaris. [Hans Bentzien may be a nom d’ plume for Franz Kurowski].

BERTHOLD, Willi. Die Männer der Division Brandenburg.

BROCKDORFF, Werner. Geheimkommandos des Zweiten Weltkriegs: Geschichte und Einsätze der Brandenburger, der englischen Commandos und SAS-Einheiten, der amerikanischen Rangers und sowjetischer Geheimdienste.

GURREY, Donald. Across the Lines: Axis Intelligence and Sabotage Operations. Tunbridge Wells: Parapress, 1994.

LeFEVRE, Eric. Brandenburg Division: Commandos of the Reich.

LUCAS, James. Kommando: German Special Forces of World War Two.

KESSLER, Leo. Kommando: Hitler’s Special Forces in the Second World War.

KUROWSKI, Franz. Brandenburgers: Global Mission. (Translated by David Johnson). The first detailed account in English of this highly secret Special Commando unit formed by the Germans and organized and operated by the Abwehr under Admiral Canaris during WW 2. From a small beginning as a special battalion with numerous detachments, they soon grow to a division sized unit by war's end. They served in every theater of the war, many times far behind Allied line including Africa, the Middle East, the Balkans, Russia, France and more. 1997. New hard bound, laminated illustrated cover, 6 x 9, glossy page stock, , 305 pp, numerous illus, bibliog, maps.
KUROWSKI, Franz. Deutsche Kommandotrupps 1939-1945: Die “Brandenburger” und Abwehr im weltweiten Einsatz. Band 1 and Band 2.

SPAETER, Helmuth. Die Brandenburger: eine deutsche Kommandotruppe – z.b.V. 800. 1991. 449p. A few photos and sketch maps.

--Larry

LMA-17

Post by LMA-17 » 14 Dec 2005, 02:59

Thanks Larry D.

Leo Kessler? Is he the writer of Waffen-SS novels, the Wotan battalion series? If so, how good is his book?
Lucas, LeFevre, and Kurowski seem more easy to be get.

Regards

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 14 Dec 2005, 11:14

Hi All

In a German report from mid 1945 , I red that the Russ. Brig. 599
was in Denmark and had 2 Gren.Regt to it's disposal .

Aufkl.Abt. 1599 (r)
Gren. Regt. 1605 (r)
Gren. Regt. 1607 (Kauk.)
Pz.Jg.Kp. 599 (r)
Art.Abt. 1599 (r)
Pi.Kp. 599 (r)
Nachr.Kp. 1599 (r)
And also some Ung. units

In "Tessin" Russiche Brigade 599 a part of the
"Russischen Befreiungarmee" from Gen.Wlassows

Gren. Regt. 1604 (r) later bei Prenzlau ( Hgr. Weichel )
Gren. Regt. 1605 (?)
Gren. Regt. 1607 (Armen.)
Art.Abt. 1599

Are the troops of Gren. Regt. 1607 Kaukasich or Armenisch ?

Regards Jos

Georgien

Post by Georgien » 14 Dec 2005, 20:00

Dear Semenov

Do you have any info on "Tamara II"? members? who created it? what happened to it?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Juanjo

Post by Juanjo » 19 Dec 2005, 14:44

Hi Georgien

Tamara II were created in 1941 for the Abwehr but under the direction of OKH. 80 georgiens maked up the unity for to do sabotage´s operations.
CO.: Leutnant Dr. Kramer (member of the Abwehr II)
Second CO.: Dr. Hauffe (member of the Abwehr II)

Regards

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”