Where did a wounded German soldier go to if he was sent?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
WarTimeTravelerLeo

Where did a wounded German soldier go to if he was sent?

Post by WarTimeTravelerLeo » 17 Sep 2017, 22:32

I know a wounded soldier would go see a medic and get fixed up and stuff. But i want to know if where would they send a injured German soldier, because many wounded would go to the hospital. I'm wondering which hospital and where in Germany or occupied places would a wounded German soldier be.

I'm writing a story about a Time Traveler that goes to World War 2 and engages in a fight and got injured while fighting for the Axis in the "Battle of Dunkirk"

Atrevida

Re: Where did a wounded German soldier go to if he was sent?

Post by Atrevida » 20 Sep 2017, 20:09

A soldier's wound would be assessed at the principal dressing station. I am writing here of the Russian Front, if it was decided that he needed to be interned in a military hospital for treatment, depending on the severity of the wound he would be sent by ambulance train or aircraft to Poland, and then redirected to one of the military hospitals in the Reich. I can provide the names of some of the latter hospitals.

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 20 Sep 2017, 20:37

This has been shown on the forum before - there is a medical thread somewhere but I can not seem to find it at the moment.
Evacuation of sick and wounded.jpg

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 20 Sep 2017, 20:43

Stephan

Post by Stephan » 01 Oct 2017, 22:08

As a general rule, the germans had a very good medical services for their wounded soldiers. I had read some accounts, a recovalescent could be sent to several check ups well into the spring of 1945, in the middle of collapsing german war machine. While in all other countries he would prob be send back to front line.
Of course, if he WAS deemed fit for fight, he was sent back.
An alternative could be easier duty. So for example, Waffen SS normally just fighting, their ex wounded could do instead service in camps, as if they were Allgemaine SS...

I presume others could make get easier duty in the railway protections corps, the BanSchutze... And so on.

Denys

Post by Denys » 31 Dec 2017, 16:23

Hucks post describe the way of a wounded german soldier very clearly. But I guess it´s important to understand the tactical signs on the graphical overview. For example the little black round points with the cross on top means "Krankensammelstelle". Here the solider get his first medical care. If it´s necessary for more medical care like surgery, the soldiers would be send to "Hauptverbandsplatz". After a more intensive medical treatments the soldier would go by plane or railway transport to a Reservelazarett in Germany. There were specialized hospital - so the type of injury was imported for the decision where the solider was sent to. At the end a doctor descided if he will be deemed fit for fight or not. If so he was sent back.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”