Faiery Battle bomb release

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
maltesefalcon

Faiery Battle bomb release

Post by maltesefalcon » 09 Apr 2019, 04:14

I have a very specific quextion in regards to the Fairey Battle. There was a dedicated bomb aimer's station and crew member.
If that crew member was incapacitated, could tbe pilot arm and/or release the bombs from his position?

Would be a bit ugly, landing a damaged kite with a dead bomb aimer and a fully armed bombload....

Anyone have insight?

Ironmachine

Re: Faiery Battle bomb release

Post by Ironmachine » 09 Apr 2019, 08:09

I found this:
A Vickers machine-gun is fixed in the wing. This machine-gun can be fired by the pilot, the sight for the gun being mounted on the windscreen. The pilot also has a bomb release switch.
https://www.wondersofworldaviation.com/ ... attle.html
So it seems the pilot could release the bombs, but a better source may be needed.
Regards.

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 09 Apr 2019, 13:29

Greg Baughen's book about the Fairey Battle notes that in May 1940 the navigator/bomb aimer was generally left behind as the pilots were able to find their targets without them. It follows that the pilots were able to release the bombs. Usual load was four 250 lb (113 kg) bombs in bomb bays in the wings. The bomb racks could be lowered hydraulically to make sure the bombs would clear the aircraft in a dive bombing attack. Picture shows the sliding cover of the bomb aimer's window:
Attachments
Battle 001.jpg
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

maltesefalcon

Post by maltesefalcon » 13 Apr 2019, 18:26

Thank you both for your assistance!

ROLAND1369

Post by ROLAND1369 » 18 Apr 2019, 15:18

I believe that you will find that all WW II bombers had at least and emergency bomb release accessible by the pilot. My father was an aircraft commander on B24s during WW II and told me of once reaching to turn off the auto pilot and hitting the emergency bomb salvo by accident. It only makes sense to enable the pilot to be able to lighten the aircraft in an emergency.

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 05 Jun 2019, 13:26

Indeed it does. In the Westland Lysander the pilot did the bombing, but the rear gunner/observer could also release the bombs, in an emergency (like just before a crash landing) if the pilot for some reason (technical failure, injury) was unable to do so. However, he could not arm them.

On checking again, I see that there was in fact a small bomb aiming window in the floor of the aircraft for the observer too.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 01 Dec 2019, 13:19

Nice shot of the bomb aimer in a Battle:
Attachments
001.jpg

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 10 Dec 2019, 10:11

And a picture of ground crew loading a 250 lb GP (General Purpose) bomb in a Battle.
Attachments
001.jpg

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”