Hechtel 1944, battle of

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
queenfromars

Re: Hechtel 1944, battle of

Post by queenfromars » 13 Apr 2021 11:23

Hello, does anyone know where I can buy a copy of Gérard Wuyts book?
I believe my aunts uncle was killed in Hechtel, and would like to find an English version of this book.
Has anyone had any success obtaining a copy recently?

Many thanks.

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 13 Apr 2021 22:40

Hello,
I think that book was only edited by the autor himself and I don't know if it's still available Have a look over here :
http://blog.seniorennet.be/autumnstormhechtel/
You are able to see the autor's adress, his e-mail, the price, and his bankcode. But, I think it's better to contact the autor him self
Sorry for my poor english.
Kindly regards from Belgium
Prosper

Angus50

Post by Angus50 » 05 May 2021 19:03

Hello,
My grandfather fought in the battle and was killed on 12th sept 44 in Hechtel. Captain John Mytton Thornycroft, 3rd Monmouthshire reg. (Mentioned in Gerard’s book)
I have met Gerard Wuyts and have a signed copy of his book, English version. Fascinating book, historically accurate and well worth getting, especially if you have a connection to the village. Would try through the blog as mentioned before although bear in mind Gerard is in his 90’s now, so his son, Robert, maybe the best point of contact.
What was the name etc of your Aunts Uncle who was killed in Hechtel, as there is a researcher in Hechtel who can possibly help you with that who is on this forum.
Kind regards.

queenfromars

Post by queenfromars » 30 Jul 2021 23:09

Hello, my aunts uncle was capt. Robin W Burton, of the Ayrshire Yeomanry. I have tried contacting Gerard several times, but sadly no reply, so possibly he is no longer active online. Unfortunately, I've been unable to source a copy of his book. If anyone has one, I'd love to know if Robin is mentioned at all, and the events of the 10th September, as i believe that is the date he was killed.
My aunt visited his grave some years ago, but has always wanted to find out more about what happened to him. Many thanks.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”