Market-Garden White Washing History

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Delta Tank

Re: Market-Garden White Washing History

Post by Delta Tank » 06 Aug 2011, 17:44

Attrition wrote:Could it have been the other way round, to get started before the prospects dimmed altogether? I daresay that if the gig had been called off, the controversy today would be that it was a glorious missed opportunity.
Or they would be talking about how we open the port of Antwerp so quickly! And we kept moving east and closed on the Rhine. But, another thing we have to remember is the V-2 launch sites, IIRC the British Govt wanted something done about this quickly and so we probably would of moved north in some manner, yes?

Mike

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 06 Aug 2011, 18:07

Mike,

It's either Antwerp OR move east, as we discovered in the Broad/Narrow front thread!

Let's not go there all over again!!

Regards

Tom

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 06 Aug 2011, 18:27

Tom from Cornwall wrote:Mike,

It's either Antwerp OR move east, as we discovered in the Broad/Narrow front thread!

Let's not go there all over again!!

Regards

Tom
Maybe we should of had women running the military they seem to be the only ones that can multi task. So while the six or so divisions, I am guessing, but there ain't a lot of room there for more divisions, open up the approaches to Antwerp everyone else just sits on their hands. . got it!

Mike

Aber

Post by Aber » 06 Aug 2011, 19:32

Opening Antwerp requires:

- clearing the Breskens pocket to the South
- clearing Walcheren, which was an Atlantic Wall 'Fortress'
- pushing forward, probably to the Waal, to get enough defensive depth to protect Antwerp

This requires 21st Army Group's full attention.

Pushing East requires 12th Army Group to takes Metz or Aachen quickly - would it have been better for them to concentrate on one of them?

willi_klingel

Post by willi_klingel » 06 Aug 2011, 20:12

Being ever respectful of the fact that many of you have researched 'Market Garden' in great depth, I have another question: We know that there was a lot of opposition to Montgomery's plan by his American colleagues and I previously asked about the Intelligence reports by Major Brian Urquart allerting the allies to a heavy German presence in the Arnhem area - this leaves me to ask if there were other plans proposed from the American side which were considered at the time. Other than comments about proceeding on a broad front, I have never heard of any significant alternate plan being put on the table. I appreciate that the Market Garden gamble took place in an attempt to shorten the hostilities. If any of you have information in this regard, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Respectfully,
Willi Klingel (ex 1st Bn Parachute Regt 1954-61)

JonS

Post by JonS » 06 Aug 2011, 23:15

willi_klingel wrote:We know that there was a lot of opposition to Montgomery's plan by his American colleagues
We do?

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 07 Aug 2011, 15:10

JonS,
willi_klingel wrote:
We know that there was a lot of opposition to Montgomery's plan by his American colleagues

We do?
Of course the Americans were opposed! After all, Eisenhower was so against the operation he wrote to Montgomery on 16 September,
"Dear Monty,
Your M.525 has just arrived here and I must say that it not only is designed to carry out most effectively my basic conception with respect to this campaign but is in exact accordance with all the understandings that we now have.
Which seems strange, as Beddell Smith later claimed that he flew to see Mongomery on 15/16 September to warn him about the presence of panzer divisions at Arnhem. Of course, I've never seen documentary evidence for this visit, although I think Beddel Smith made the claim post war in an interview with Forest Pogue. I would, of course, be delighted if someone could show me some documentary evidence of this trip.

Hence, my remark about Op Market Garden being launched as Eisenhower had ordered Montgomery to capture the Ruhr, especially as it supported his "basic conception with respect to this campaign". Of course, and in the interest of pulling a few legs :) , one can argue that Eisenhower was as responsible for Operation Market Garden as he was for D-Day and the Battle of Normandy - and that can be read both ways depending on one's point of view. :lol:

Of course, Patton opposed the operation, but then he would have opposed the operation even more if it had been lauched on the front of Hodges 1st Army I expect!! :lol:

Regards, and taking cover, :)

Tom

Aber

Post by Aber » 07 Aug 2011, 15:50

[quote="willi_klingel" ] this leaves me to ask if there were other plans proposed from the American side which were considered at the time. Respectfully,
Willi Klingel (ex 1st Bn Parachute Regt 1954-61)[/quote]

Bradley's instructions to 12th Army Group on 10th September (date that Market Garden was approved) were:
First Army.
(1) Continue to advance to the East to secure crossings over the RHINE River in the vicinity of KOBLENZ, BONN and KOLN.
(2) Make contact with 21 Army Group and protect the left (north)flank.
Third Army.
(1) Continue the advance to the East in zone and secure crossings of the RHINE River in the vicinity of MANNHEIM and MAINZ. If sufficient forces become available to Third Army, it will also seize a bridgehead in the vicinity of KARLSRUHE.
(2) Protect the south flank East of ORLEANS inclusive.
Ninth Army.
(1) Reduce the BRITTANY Peninsula and protect the south flank along the LOIRE River from its mouth to ORLEANS inclusive.

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 07 Aug 2011, 15:56

Aber,

Thanks for that post - I wonder what casualties the Americans suffered attempting, and failing, to carry out these widespread operations - I wonder if anyone has written a book about these orders called "A Magnificent Disaster"? Why not?

regards

Tom

Aber

Post by Aber » 07 Aug 2011, 16:17

Well, the First Army adventures in the Huertgen Forest do get some coverage, but Patton's problem with Metz generally gets overlooked. :)

willi_klingel

Post by willi_klingel » 07 Aug 2011, 16:24

Thank you Aber and Tom. I don't pretend to have researched things like you. I really do appreciate the information. Let's be thankful that the war ended when it did. I am sure that - personalities aside - all the particpants did what they believed they had to do. My own field of interest is in WWII aviation, hence my lack of detailed knowledge regarding the ground warfare. It's great to belong to a Forum such as this where things can be discussed in a civil and friendly manner. One thing that people like youselves have taught me is that a lot of the facts have gotten distorted over time and 'Hollywood' has been responsible for quite a bit of that.
Cheers,
Willi

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 07 Aug 2011, 23:11

Tom from Cornwall wrote:In the interest of fairness and in the undoubted knowledge that you have the memory of an elephant I should post what you wrote much earlier on the thread before we got to talking about D-Day... :lol:
Frankly given their reluctance to make such an advance on the night of 20 September and that their advance on 21 September didn't begin until afternoon, I sort of doubt it? Not BTW that I am condeming them, they had virtually no infantry up and would have been easy meat, so they were probably sensible.
To which I can only reply that this is what I was trying to say about the American forces on the evening of D Day - "they were probably sensible"!! :idea:
Weell... :lol: I don't think the Guards Armoured had been onboard in rough seas for two days or been up since about 0400 when they decided not to advance on the evening of 20 September...and by the morning of 21 September they had quite a snooze. It does appear though that the general stricture against night advances worked in their favor. Otherwise by that time the decision was sensible, like I said before, they had little infantry available, especially given the tardiness of 43rd Division. :lol:

Anyway, where in that did you see me complaining about tea times? :lol:
The other good news is that I found a reference to Brits drinking tea in d'Este's "Decision in Normandy" in the "Price of Caution" character assassination of the British Army chapter. Even more pertinent to this discussion, is that he says that Gavin told him that is what the Brits did after the capture of Nijmegen bridge - which brings me back to another of my pet questions of what direct, contemporary evidence there is of American chaps shouting nasty things at the Guards at the north end of Nijmegen bridge.
d'Este has his problems...nor can I find anything about nasty things being shouted at the Guards...it was all postwar rumination AFAICT.
As for Bennett's book - yes I have got it, no I haven't read it all (but I did chuck it across the room shouting "bollocks" a couple of times) and somewhere else on one of these threads I recall calling it curious. I certainly wouldn't agree that "David Bennet's arguments regarding the flaws in MARKET GARDEN are very compelling" - but would encourage people to judge for themselves.
What, was that because of his strange excursis about Rommel's "proposed" kidnapping of Hitler? :lol:

Or was it his dismembering of the planning assumptions that MARKET GRADEN were based on? :lol:

Or was it Appendix 2, which proposes, like I have tried numerous times to get you to see, that there simply were no solutions to the logistical problems bedeviling the Allies? :roll: At least not in that timeframe and in the circumstances that pertained. Given the logistics in the Final Push in 1945, which also essentially collapsed at the end, despite Antwerp, railroads, and etc being operational, I'm not sure how anyone can say there was a solution?

Cheers!
Richard Anderson
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall: the 1st Assault Brigade Royal Engineers on D-Day
Stackpole Books, 2009.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 07 Aug 2011, 23:32

Tom from Cornwall wrote: Thanks for that post - I wonder what casualties the Americans suffered attempting, and failing, to carry out these widespread operations - I wonder if anyone has written a book about these orders called "A Magnificent Disaster"? Why not?
Er, Tom, what failures were those? Did they fail to advance eastwards? Was the Brittany Peninsula not captured...given that it was a fortified position, in good time and for minimal casualties to boot? No Rhine crossings, but that was kind of a general failure on the part of the Allies at that time, not a particular one.

And, given that the Lorraine Campaign alone takes about 600 pages to describe just the Third Army autumn operations, compared to about the same number of pages in the British "official history" (were no Briton does any wrong, least of all Monty), then again I have to ask where the absence you perceive is? :roll: It seems to be like the nonexistent tea drinking stories you keep attributing to "anyone"... :P

Cheers!

Oh, BTW, if I get a chance I'll be sure to look up Bedell (one "B", two "L") Smith's appointments diary. :D
Last edited by RichTO90 on 07 Aug 2011, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Anderson
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall: the 1st Assault Brigade Royal Engineers on D-Day
Stackpole Books, 2009.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 07 Aug 2011, 23:34

JonS wrote:
willi_klingel wrote:We know that there was a lot of opposition to Montgomery's plan by his American colleagues
We do?
Not digging too deeply into it right now Jon (for one thing I can't since my library and papers are all packed) but IIRC Ridgway, Taylor, Gavin, and quite a number of the officers junior to them raised quite a few objections and were told to soldier on.

Cheers!
Richard Anderson
Stackpole Books, 2009.

JonS

Post by JonS » 07 Aug 2011, 23:36

RichTO90 wrote:Weell... :lol: I don't think the Guards Armoured had been onboard in rough seas for two days or been up since about 0400 when they decided not to advance on the evening of 20 September...and by the morning of 21 September they had quite a snooze. It does appear though that the general stricture against night advances worked in their favor.
!ANECDOTE ALERT!

Some years ago I was chatting with a then-recent ex-member of the Irish Guards. He was telling me about a St Patrick's Day regimental shindig he'd been at a few years previouslym, which had been graced by the prescence of several members of the Regiment who'd fought in NWE. The old Mick he was talking to related an exchange he'd had during Market Garden, which went something like
Para: Where the bloody hell have you been? We've been fighting for three fvcking days!
Irish Guardsman: Quit flapping yer gums. We've been fighting for three months.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”