German Invasion of Norway

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 16 Jan 2003 22:00

A few new names indeed!
Only problem is to find more than just the name....
Guess I`ll have to upgrade my bookshelf about tha Narvik campaign!

Erik E

varjag
Financial supporter

Post by varjag » 18 Jan 2003 05:12

Thanks Jack Nisley for adding those names - you're the expert here, did not know about NORTH CORNWALL....the Germans were entirely correct with possible exception of BUCHENHEIM about which I can find nothing. A fifth Swedish ship may have been s/s MERTAINEN. Rgds, Varjag

varjag
Financial supporter

Buchenheim - FOUND

Post by varjag » 19 Jan 2003 11:24

Jack - I think I found Buchenheim - only it's spelled BOCKENHEIM or BOKENHEIM depeding on whom to believe. And you're right - she was in Narvik on the morn 9.4.40. German 'losses lists' says she was sunk by her own crew when the German attack went in on 9.4. (!) Presumably her captain (if that's true) mistook the attackers for British and pulled the bung a bit prematurely. Poor sod - I bet the Shipowners and the Insurers both sent him 'please explain'-letters!

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 20 Jan 2003 16:13

was reading a book about the war. written by a Norw Naval officer.
when the germans was firing at norw partolboats, a Norw destroyer Olav Tryggvason asked for permission to engage the enemy.
the answer from Gow in Oslo was that it wasn't nessesary!!!
it then had to fight from within the harbour against Emden.

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 23 Jan 2003 00:18

When the war ended Norway was (and is still today) filled up with bunkera and fortifications of any cind.
I see you talk about an English invation in spring -40, but what do you think of Germany beat back an invation in may -45.
There were plans for an invation in case the Germans in Norway wanted to go on fighting after Germany fall.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”