The Battle of Britain.

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Attrition

Re: The Battle of Britain.

Post by Attrition » 26 Aug 2010, 14:39

Mainwaring: A typical shabby nazi trick!

dcmatkins

Post by dcmatkins » 28 Sep 2010, 10:14

It has probably been mentioned before.
I would thoroughly recommend the book " The most dangerous enemy A history of the Battle of Britain" by Stephen Bungay.
It is an excellent read. Answers alot of questions. Both from a political, strategic and economic point of view. Which is often overlooked and forgotten about, in context of this battle.

The Germans before the war looked at the possibility of an air war with the UK. They realised it would be a long drawn out campaigin. Though never buit a long range heavy pay load bomber to do so. Even throughout the entire war.

Personally, I think the Germans generally over confident. Hitler thought his Luftwaffe would finish the BEF off at Dunkirk. Goring was an intelligent man. Throughout the batte he failed to listen too his operational commanders which were facing ongoing operational problems.

The directive that set up the Luftwaffe was primary to support the army. Hence the role of the Stuka. Whereas the ME110 was intended to win air superiority over foreign airspace.

Attrition

Post by Attrition » 28 Sep 2010, 12:14

I incline to the view that the victory in France looks less like a strategic decision and more like an operational success each time I look at it.

Graeme Sydney

Post by Graeme Sydney » 02 Oct 2010, 12:39

Attrition wrote:I incline to the view that the victory in France looks less like a strategic decision and more like an operational success each time I look at it.
:D That's my view.

Germany lost the war when they attacked Norway. Between lost military/naval resources, trying up mil resources and costing time that's when they lost their chance to defeat Britain. And they would never dominate Europe without dominating/controlling Britain and the approaches to Europe.

Germany had several choices to dominate Britain; diplomatic isolation, blockade or invasion. They achieved none of the above. Norway was about outflanking and making the submarine/naval blockading of Britain effective. Excepting for miracles, in 1939 Germany didn't have the resources to both invade Norway and defeat France and invade Britain. They took the scattergun approach and failed in their primary aim.

State and maintain the aim. Basic stuff for a strategist, but what would you expect when you give Generals job to a fawning work dodging corporal.

Attrition

Post by Attrition » 02 Oct 2010, 15:14

I suppose from the Germans' point of view the chronic underestimation of Soviet ability was the worst mistake. Had the USSR crumpled as it was supposed to, the western conquests would have been invaluable in finishing off the British.

Graeme Sydney

Post by Graeme Sydney » 02 Oct 2010, 22:31

Attrition wrote:I suppose from the Germans' point of view the chronic underestimation of Soviet ability was the worst mistake.
It wasn't a German point of view it was a Hitler delusion. The 'kick the door in and the rest of the house will fall over' is the most optimistic outcome you could wish for. Military Science is not about wishful thinking :wink: :roll: .

Aquarius1011

Post by Aquarius1011 » 15 Sep 2012, 20:22

Today is Battle of Britain day. (And the national day of a country in Europe I thought of.)
A mind is like a parachute - it works best when open.

Attrition

Post by Attrition » 15 Sep 2012, 21:01

Graeme Sydney wrote:
Attrition wrote:I suppose from the Germans' point of view the chronic underestimation of Soviet ability was the worst mistake.
It wasn't a German point of view it was a Hitler delusion. The 'kick the door in and the rest of the house will fall over' is the most optimistic outcome you could wish for. Military Science is not about wishful thinking :wink: :roll: .
It worked in 1939 and 1940.

Cultus

Post by Cultus » 31 Dec 2021, 07:33

Does anyone out there know how the Calais battery came to be named Batterie Oldenburg? And what’s more how come it was also known as The Moulin Rouge? Thanks.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”