Operation Market Garden was a success

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
KrzysieM

Operation Market Garden was a success

Post by KrzysieM » 11 Jun 2017, 18:27

Hi
Is there any historian stating in his/hers book, that the operation was Allies' success?

Aber

Re: Operation Market Garden was a success

Post by Aber » 12 Jun 2017, 09:40

IIRC it has been claimed that it was 90% successful.

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 30 Jul 2017, 17:22

The purpose of Operation Market Garden was to get across the Rhine so that the British Army could encircle the Ruhr Industrial area from the north, and execute Operation Gatwick.

So, how was it a success? We did not establish a bridgehead across the Rhine and therefore Operation Gatwick could not be executed. Mission failure.

Mike

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 30 Jul 2017, 17:59

There will never ever be any objective concensus over Market Garden. The battle is too important to those who believe Montgomery was the cause of all problems/setbacks in WW2 and they will never accept any conclusion that departs from that narrative.

Takao

Post by Takao » 31 Jul 2017, 03:49

Prince Bernhard of The Netherlands: "My country can never again afford the luxury of another Montgomery success.", as told to Cornelius Ryan, author of "A Bridge Too Far."

AFAIK, the only author I have read claiming Market Garden was a success would be Montgomery himself.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 31 Jul 2017, 04:17

Takao wrote:Prince Bernhard of The Netherlands: "My country can never again afford the luxury of another Montgomery success.", as told to Cornelius Ryan, author of "A Bridge Too Far."

AFAIK, the only author I have read claiming Market Garden was a success would be Montgomery himself.
Montgomery never said MG 'was a success' so you could not possible have read him claiming it was.

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 31 Jul 2017, 06:58

Takao wrote:Prince Bernhard of The Netherlands: "My country can never again afford the luxury of another Montgomery success.", as told to Cornelius Ryan, author of "A Bridge Too Far."

About the mythical statement from Bernhard;

1 ) I like to see a better proof than what Ryan is saying

2) If what Ryan is saying is correct, the fact remains that Bernhard is wrong : there is no relation between the infamous hunger winter in the centre of the Netherlands and the failure of Market Garden .

Takao

Post by Takao » 31 Jul 2017, 10:51

Michael Kenny wrote:

Montgomery never said MG 'was a success' so you could not possible have read him claiming it was.

Odd...90% successful is not a success. If 90% successful is not a success than it is a failure.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 31 Jul 2017, 13:34

Takao wrote:
Odd...90% successful is not a success. If 90% successful is not a success than it is a failure.

Your original statement:

the only author I have read claiming Market Garden was a success would be Montgomery himself

Is quite clearly incorrect.
In short you made it up.

Takao

Post by Takao » 31 Jul 2017, 21:11

Michael Kenny wrote:Your original statement:

the only author I have read claiming Market Garden was a success would be Montgomery himself

Is quite clearly incorrect.
In short you made it up.
Then where is your list of authors/books that call Market Garden a success?

Takao

Post by Takao » 31 Jul 2017, 22:07

ljadw wrote: About the mythical statement from Bernhard;

Box 120, Folder 2 of Ohio University's Cornelius Ryan Collection of World War 2 Papers.

ljadw wrote:2) If what Ryan is saying is correct, the fact remains that Bernhard is wrong : there is no relation between the infamous hunger winter in the centre of the Netherlands and the failure of Market Garden .
As usual, you are in error...

The Dutch Government in exile called on Dutch railway workers to go on strike in support of Market Garden. Which the Dutch railway workers dutifully did. The strike itself had minimal effect on the German efforts to combat Market Garden, and they quickly took over operation of the Dutch railroads. However, the Germans, in retaliation, prohibited the shipment of food and fuel in Holland.With no shipment of food or fuel, stocks rapidly dwindled. Of course, the German propaganda machine blamed the famine and fuel shortage on the Dutch railway workers strike.

Now, do you see the connection between the famine and Market Garden?

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 31 Jul 2017, 22:24

Takao wrote: Then where is your list of authors/books that call Market Garden a success?
Not having claimed MG as a 'success' I have no need to list books/sources that say as much.
You however had failed to produce the book/quote where Monty said MG was a success.

Perhaps an admission you were mistaken would be in order?

wm

Post by wm » 01 Aug 2017, 09:50

The railway strike although started concurrently with Market Garden lasted till the end of the war. The food blockade was meant to break the strike. It lasted only a few weeks anyway, later it was partially lifted - but because the strike continued food could have only be transported over water, unfortunately the early and harsh winter made that impossible.
The German propaganda machine kept insisting that the strike would only harm the Dutch civilian food supply. Keeping up the railway strike became a matter of prestige. The strike continued until the liberation.
Nor Rayan, nor Prince Bernhard said the quote was about the famine, the blockade or the strike. In fact the events aren't mention at all in his book.

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 01 Aug 2017, 12:32

Takao wrote:
ljadw wrote: About the mythical statement from Bernhard;

Box 120, Folder 2 of Ohio University's Cornelius Ryan Collection of World War 2 Papers.

ljadw wrote:2) If what Ryan is saying is correct, the fact remains that Bernhard is wrong : there is no relation between the infamous hunger winter in the centre of the Netherlands and the failure of Market Garden .
As usual, you are in error...

The Dutch Government in exile called on Dutch railway workers to go on strike in support of Market Garden. Which the Dutch railway workers dutifully did. The strike itself had minimal effect on the German efforts to combat Market Garden, and they quickly took over operation of the Dutch railroads. However, the Germans, in retaliation, prohibited the shipment of food and fuel in Holland.With no shipment of food or fuel, stocks rapidly dwindled. Of course, the German propaganda machine blamed the famine and fuel shortage on the Dutch railway workers strike.

Now, do you see the connection between the famine and Market Garden?
1) Box 120 etc is not a proof :it is only parotting what Ryan said

2 ) Wrong : even without the railway strike ,there would be a famine in the west of the Netherlands (Randstad Holland ) which was very industrialized and heavily populated .

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 01 Aug 2017, 12:43

Bernhard was a vain creature ,without military experience, who 50 years after MG said that Montgomery was responsible for the failure of MG .

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”