Where was this photo taken?

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Kingfish

Where was this photo taken?

Post by Kingfish » 05 Jan 2018, 12:35

http://veteransfirstltd.org/red-cross-w ... each-wwii/

Caption reads this was taken in Normandy but the mountainous background would suggest otherwise.
Italy? South Pacific?
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Re: Where was this photo taken?

Post by OpanaPointer » 05 Jan 2018, 13:44

Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 06 Jan 2018, 06:34

I'd agree with the Riviera as a good bet. Screwing round with Google Earth There were some views from the DRAGOON landing sites that resemble the background. Second choice could be the Brit beaches near Salerno. The coast bent sharply west there with steep hills overlooking the bight.

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 06 Jan 2018, 13:47

It's not a picture taken in Normandy.
According to Corbis images the picture was taken in Southern France in the beginning of 1945 when Red Cross Nurses came on land.
Kindly regards
Prosper :wink: :wink:

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 06 Jan 2018, 14:48

It's clearly not Normandy. The water also doesn't remind me of the Channel. The first female nurses came ashore a few days after D-Day, and would have been wearing uniforms, boots and helmets, and medical supplies bags and other equipment.

Those ladies are very clearly not about to enter a combat zone. They also don't look as if they're part of any kind of military organization. I can't find the exact reference at the moment but I understand they are part of a USO show and landing in Southern France in early 1945, with the nearest enemy soldier a few hundred miles away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Se ... rld_War_II
Last edited by Knouterer on 06 Jan 2018, 15:34, edited 2 times in total.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 06 Jan 2018, 15:21

Picture of the Radio City Rockettes just before appearing in a USO show in Europe in 1945. They are more uniformly dressed than the ladies above and even have military issue handbags if I'm not mistaken.
From: https://www.rockettes.com/photos/a-phot ... rockettes/
Attachments
Rockettes.jpg
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 06 Jan 2018, 16:00

Prosper Vandenbroucke wrote:It's not a picture taken in Normandy.
According to Corbis images the picture was taken in Southern France in the beginning of 1945 when Red Cross Nurses came on land.
Kindly regards
Why would they come ashore from landing craft in 1945?
Both Marseilles and Toulon were liberated and in full working order by then
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 06 Jan 2018, 16:23

Yes you'r right Marseille and Toulon were liberated in 1944. Toulon was liberated on the 26th of august 1944 and Marseille the 25th of the same month and the same year.I just sayd that the picture was not token in Normandy, The nurses don't wear a combat uniform, neither combat shoes, two of them are wearing sunglasses and wearing some kind of glasses was not necessary on D-Day the 6th of june 1944
It's not me that have sayd that the picture was token in 1945 but Corbis images.
Sorry for my bad english but it's not my native language.
Kindly regards from Belgium

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 24 Jan 2018, 16:17

Picture of some real army nurses coming ashore in Normandy on the 4th of July (D+28). They're dressed rather differently.
Attachments
D-Daynurses.jpg
D-Daynurses.jpg (76.01 KiB) Viewed 872 times

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 26 Jan 2018, 00:24

Perhaps this:

After the bombing of the HMHS Newfoundland on the 12th of September, 1943, the 95th nurses were returned to Tunisia for medical attention and refitting. On Sept 24th, they returned to the Salerno beachhead. Being part of VI Corps, 5th Army, the unit landed at Paestum, Italy, in support of Operation Avalanche. The landing was expected to face little resistance, as Italy had agreed to an armistice with the Allies and Mussolini had fled. It was not to be.
https://ussbb62.blogspot.ca/2015/03/iv- ... no-to.html

modern photo of beach:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/40387118

Carl Schwamberger wrote:I'd agree with the Riviera as a good bet. Screwing round with Google Earth There were some views from the DRAGOON landing sites that resemble the background. Second choice could be the Brit beaches near Salerno. The coast bent sharply west there with steep hills overlooking the bight.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”