Israeli Star of David on Allied armour?

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Felix C

Israeli Star of David on Allied armour?

Post by Felix C » 31 May 2018, 14:21

Has anyone come across a tank with the insignia painted onboard?

Sheldrake

Re: Israeli Star of David on Allied armour?

Post by Sheldrake » 31 May 2018, 15:22

Not before 1948.

Contrary to some modern perspectives, WW2 was not an crusade against Nazi ill treatment of the Jews.

Unless the entire vehicle crew was Jewish and keen to advertise their religion, I can't see why anyone might feel minded to apply a star of David insignia.

In WW1 There were German pilots flying with a six pointed star -but they may not have been jews.

and

The aircraft has been identified as the mount of Friedrich Vonschott, who, I think died on 14 May 1917. https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/foru ... avid/page2

But this German jewish air ace flew with swastika markings rather than the star of David.
one with aImage Story here http://daytonholocaust.org/resourcesexh ... f-the-air/

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 01 Jun 2018, 02:46

US Marines crossing the Tenaru River on on a makeshift bridge built atop two Amphibian tractors. The one closest to the camera shows what appears to be a Star of David symbol, although I doubt that is what is represents.
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

South

Post by South » 01 Jun 2018, 13:55

https://www.marlowwhite.com/military-sw ... -star.html

Good morning Felix and all,

I'm taking a guess that the referenced star with 6 points MIGHT have been the Star of Damascus, possibly meaning "battle-hardened".

The above link gives some background.

Hopefully link has some research value.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

ROLAND1369

Post by ROLAND1369 » 01 Jun 2018, 14:53

If you look at the amphibious tractor behind the first on you see a triangle marking. Both of the symbols appear to have letters /numbers in the center. I would say that these geometric symbols represent unit assembly markings to enable amtrack units to form up on the water prior to going ashore as a unit. Similar markings were used later on landing craft for the same purpose. Generally amtracks and landing craft are not launched from their vessel em mass but a few at a time and then move to assembly areas on the water in the vicinity of the launching vessel. There they circle until the entire unit is assembled and then proceed to the beach in a loose line or wave. Such markings would be needed to assemble amtracks which might have been launched from separate vessels. An additional need for such markings would be to identify the amtrack for the units ordered to load in them.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 01 Jun 2018, 14:55

Thanks as always gentlemen. I recently viewed the film Lisa in which a concentration camp survivor mentions seeing a tank with a star of David. (A Comet was used as well which was nice) I thought to ask if there was any shred of truth or not.
Pardon me for my foolishness in considering a theatrical production would have some truth.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 01 Jun 2018, 14:57

Kingfish wrote:Image

US Marines crossing the Tenaru River on on a makeshift bridge built atop two Amphibian tractors. The one closest to the camera shows what appears to be a Star of David symbol, although I doubt that is what is represents.

Good eye! I had to look at the photo closely in order to pick it out from the surroundings. hahahah. Damn jungle.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 04 Jun 2018, 04:24

I've seen remarks about how the locals in Algeria thought the US Army vehicles were part of a Jewish Army from the US. They referred to the five pointed star commonly used by the US Army. Apparently they did not differentiate between a five & six pointed star. German propaganda amy have initiated this as there was some reference by German radio news broadcasts to the US Army being led or controlled by Jews.

Possibly the concentration camp survivor misremembered the five for the six pointed star?

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”