Radio beacons in newly freed territory

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
maltesefalcon

Radio beacons in newly freed territory

Post by maltesefalcon » 18 Sep 2018 18:05

Does anyone know if any kind of air navigation radio beacon system was set up as the Allies pursued the Wehrmacht across Western Europe?

I am not thinking of an extension of Gee. Rather a system of known map locations on the continent, with radio beacons at specified frequencies. In order to discourage the relatively few Luftwaffe aircraft from using them as well against allied airfields or cities, they could be set up at remote locations, where the exact position was known. Obviously, the frequencies would need to be changed at regular intervals to prevent spoof transmissions.

It would be sort of a reverse Huff Duff where ones position was fixed by two transmitters and one receiver instead of vice versa. This would certainly aid Bomber Command's navigation in the final months of the war.

Anyone have any insight on this? (Maybe this should have gone in the What If? section,but I am not sure if the equipment actually existed in some form.)

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: Radio beacons in newly freed territory

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 23 Sep 2018 19:17

I passed over something about this in one of the histories of the US AAF in Europe 1944. Probablly in relation to radio guidance systems for night or bad weather bombing. Sorry I can't recall details, but your core assumption is correct. There were radio navigation aids for the aircraft transiting NW European airspace.

Tom from Cornwall

Re: Radio beacons in newly freed territory

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 23 Sep 2018 19:53

Have just seen this, and I kind of vaguely remember something about beacons being set up for Op Market Garden and Varsity just inside Allied lines. Let me have a look and I'll come back to you.

Regards
Tom

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”