Losses of the 10th Mounted Rifles, Polish 1st AD, on 9 Aug 1944 around Hill 111 SSE Soignolles

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
MarkN

Re: Losses of the 10th Mounted Rifles, Polish 1st AD, on 9 Aug 1944 around Hill 111 SSE Soignolles

Post by MarkN » 19 Jan 2019 14:55

The aerial imagery used by Bechthold can also be used to trace the movements of KG Waldmuller as well as identifying the location of the wrecks of 2nd Armoured Regiment on 8th August. On the latter point, once one has confirmed the location of the 2nd Armoured Regiment ambush position, one can then derive the movement - if it is not visible too - of the 10th Mounted Rifles. If, as it seems likely, they were pushed out to the east protecting the left flank, one can then with reasonable certainty state whether they had any contact with 1./SS-Pzjag.Abt.12 or not.

Juha

Re: Losses of the 10th Mounted Rifles, Polish 1st AD, on 9 Aug 1944 around Hill 111 SSE Soignolles

Post by Juha » 19 Jan 2019 23:26

Maybe, but at least some aerial photos are too early for that (show USAAF bombers). To get possibility to zoom photos to sensible accuracy one must pay, the £12/year is not a bad price but I must plan some research projects to utilize those aerials before I am ready to pay the price. The digital images themselves are rather expensive from £ 8.25 to £ 90. But first I must conclude a couple fairly complete projects. I was surpised when I noticed that at least some of the photos were taken by an USAAF plane.

Juha

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”