POWs

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
yantaylor

POWs

Post by yantaylor » 25 Jan 2019, 14:27

Hi everyone, now I don't know if this question has been asked before but is there any truth in the story that the US Army virtually starved to death thousands of German POWs in the late war or just after?

I saw a web site saying this and if I can recall, I am sure that a TV channel showed a documentary about this too and that Ike knew about this and turned a blind eye.
The document also says that the US Army had enough rations to feed these POWs but gave them none and kept them outside in fenced off pens with no cover or shelter.

I hope that these reports are untrue and that we can dismiss there reports as fake news.

Yan.

Aber

Re: POWs

Post by Aber » 25 Jan 2019, 15:10

The allegations are based on a sensationalist book by James Bacque.

For the full story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinwiesenlager

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 25 Jan 2019, 15:14

The allegations by sensationalist Canadian author and university professor James Bacque many years ago are exhaustively covered in thousands and thousands of posts right here on Axis History Forum. Start here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27723&p=1577344&hil ... s#p1577344

L.

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 26 Jan 2019, 16:31

Thank you both.

I tried to read through as many of those posts in the link as I could manage, but alas I am still none the wiser, but it does seem more likely that this was exaggerated because I have spoken to a American friend of mine and reckons that when the US Army captured these soldiers, they simply let a lot of them go, this happened after the war ended and they said to the boy soldiers 'go home and get to school' and to the old men 'go home and look after your grand kids' and these boys/old men simply left without being recorded.

Yan.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”