American Corps or armies units

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
diciassette2000

American Corps or armies units

Post by diciassette2000 » 20 Feb 2019, 10:34

Hello
I am a non-professional historian who deals with events that occurred on the western front during the Second World War. In the course of my research, I have been able to ascertain that the news about the American divisional units has been dealt with over the years while there is not much information available on the units directly attacked by the Corps and the armies. If possible I would be grateful if someone could give me a list for Corps or Armies of units directly attacked (only fighters) mainly armored, artillery and genius.
Thanks a lot and best regards

Sheldrake

Re: American Corps or armies units

Post by Sheldrake » 20 Feb 2019, 11:38

I guess English isn't your first language, but assume you are looking for a list of non divisional units that served in the European Theatre of War. Here is a starting point. (Found in 5 seconds using Google and a further 2 mins to skim) ) https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a590011.pdf

You could develop your skills as a historian by searching the internet for lndependent Tank, tank destroyer, artillery asn engineer units... Try starting with the Nafziger Orders of Battle at the US Army's Combined Arms Research Library https://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/carl/nafziger.asp
This isn't an exhaustive list of non divisional units, but does lists the units attached temporarily to Divisions to support them in combat,

diciassette2000

Post by diciassette2000 » 20 Feb 2019, 11:59

I guess English isn't your first language, but assume you are looking for a list of non divisional units that served in the European Theatre of War. Here is a starting point. (Found in 5 seconds using Google and a further 2 mins to skim) ........
Yes English not is my first language........thankyou very much for the links but (Nafziger list dont work for me and the other dont list if the unit attached are Corps units or division units-of others divisions) my problem remain to know if the unit attached its Corps or Army and obtain an exaustive list........anyway thankyou very much.....
All the best
Maurizio

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 20 Feb 2019, 14:12

Can you narrow down what you are looking for? Perhaps you could explain what you wan to do with the information?

The list of units and subunits that served under direct corps or Army command is huge. It is also complicated by their organisation of many of these into non divisional formations such as Groups Regiments and Brigades. For example, there were 238 separate field artillery battalions operating in the ETO by war’s end, with 36 105mm and 71 155mm battalions. Read mmore here nhttps://owlcation.com/humanities/ArtilleryBattalions

diciassette2000

Post by diciassette2000 » 20 Feb 2019, 15:11

Interesting article........
The list of units and subunits that served under direct corps or Army command is huge. It is also complicated by their organisation of many of these into non divisional formations such as Groups Regiments and Brigades....... this its right but in twenty years of research i see exaustive list of german, italian, british Corps and Army units but never USA's lists.......mine was an genaeric question.....I am aware that the US Army of the Second World War was a huge military machine but I thought someone had tried to list these units ...
Anyway, thanks again
ALl the best
Maurizio

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 23 Mar 2019, 17:37

Stautons OB of the US Army in WWII is the best published source. Used copies are common. I have two.

DC North West

Post by DC North West » 08 Apr 2019, 23:11

Hi this may be of interest http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ Ike Skelton Combined Arms Research Library Digital Library.
There is a lot of information on the WW2 army units and associated after action reports.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”