Norwegian Army 1940

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
jwsleser

Re: Norwegian Army 1940

Post by jwsleser » 21 May 2019, 15:43

Yan

RE: Mot.feltsykehus. No, my 17 was a typo. 11 is correct.

RE: Divisions: There isn't a division framework. These are paper HQs that can be manned if the Norwegian Army decided they need a higher HQ to control multiple brigades. The brigades are self-contained and have all the resources necessary to operate independently (like a small division). If you are familiar with US Army formations, think of the Norwegian brigades as separate brigades in the US Army. It is unlikely there are any Norwegian units which were to be mobilized that were created solely to be part of a division. Any supporting arms or services (artillery, maintenance, transport, etc.) that are not part of a brigade are Army-level assets to be assigned to any brigade as needed.

The division framework is likely two or more brigades plus any army-level assets deemed necessary for the specific mission sign to the division. There isn't a TO&E stating that a division will have X type of units.

An unanswered question is how many of the D.K. personnel are also considered part of the division HQ if activated? It is common that staffs assigned to military districts or other area-based peacetime organizations are used to form tactical HQs like divisions and corps when mobilized.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 24 May 2019, 21:38

Thanks Jeff.
You do come across some strange stuff, I found out today that the Østfold Infanteriregiment Nr.1 had an unofficial III/IR 1 battalion which was an ad hoc unit consiting of personel from the 2nd Division who were on a training exercise and some Landvernet personel. This battalion was led by a Captain named Arne Sunde.
I can't find any more on this ad hoc battalion so I don't know if it had three rifle and one MG companies.

Yan.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 25 May 2019, 04:59

The unit wasn't ad hoc, it was the Lvbat of the IR 1. The unit was mobilized as the III/IR 1. I assume it was organized as 3 rifle cp. and one MG cp., but can't be sure.
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 25 May 2019, 12:32

So there was no additional troops from the 2. Brigade then Jeff.
The troops I was told where from the 2. brigade school who were training in the area at the time.
Cheers
Yan

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 25 May 2019, 17:13

It is very possible that additional troops were added, but from the very little info I have, the unit was formed around the Lvbat IR1. So not ad hoc in the sense that the unit didn't previously exist, but the Lvbat was mobilized as the III/IR1 and incorporated into the field army.

Compare this to III/IR11 that was raised 'from scratch' using men that couldn't join their mobilization units.

The 1.Div Skolebataljonen was organized as a separate battalion using the personnel from 1.Div and 2.Div Skole and placed under the command of Captain Fritzner. It was being organized under the 1.Brig. until it was overrun on 13 April.

So the III/IR1 and the 1.Div Skolebataljonen are two different units.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”