Which Armeekorps?

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
BFBSM

Which Armeekorps?

Post by BFBSM » 30 Sep 2019, 03:17

I am currently researching the 10th Hussars (Prince of Wales Own) activities at Huppy on May 27 1940. I am aware that the advance was against elements of the 2. Infanterie-Division (thanks to MarkN for help). The assistance I seek this time is to determine which Armeekorps the said Division is attached.

Robert Forczyk in his book Case Red (ISBN: 9781472824424), places it with Wietersheim’s XIV Armeekorps, whereas, Wayne Price, in a description published online (https://www.krh.org.uk/battle-of-huppy-monday.html), puts it with the XXXVIII Armeekorps commanded by Manstein (my understanding being the latter was not in France but Germany at the time).
Could someone please help clarify this for me?

Mark

MarkN

Re: Which Armeekorps?

Post by MarkN » 30 Sep 2019, 15:54

BFBSM wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 03:17
I am currently researching the 10th Hussars (Prince of Wales Own) activities at Huppy on May 27 1940. I am aware that the advance was against elements of the 2. Infanterie-Division (thanks to MarkN for help). The assistance I seek this time is to determine which Armeekorps the said Division is attached.

Robert Forczyk in his book Case Red (ISBN: 9781472824424), places it with Wietersheim’s XIV Armeekorps, whereas, Wayne Price, in a description published online (https://www.krh.org.uk/battle-of-huppy-monday.html), puts it with the XXXVIII Armeekorps commanded by Manstein (my understanding being the latter was not in France but Germany at the time).
Could someone please help clarify this for me?
When 10H attacked on 24 May, the Abbeville bridgehead was held by 2.Inf-Div(mot) under command of XIV.AK.

To explain the confusion...

At 09.00 (German watches) on 27 May, 2.Inf-Div(mot) came under command Manstein's XXXVIII.AK as they took over the line. At that time 2.Inf-Div(mot) was in the process of handing over the Abbeville bridgehead to 57.Inf-Div. During the day, 27th, a series of Anglo-French attacks (units of 51st Highland Div committed) were made against the position with the brunt of the defence being made by the arriving 57.Inf-Div. During the night 27/28 May, this handover was complete and 57.Inf-Div became soley responsible for Abbeville.

Information derived from the KTBs of XIV and XXVIII.AK and 57.Inf-Div.

BFBSM

Re: Which Armeekorps?

Post by BFBSM » 30 Sep 2019, 19:37

Thanks, Mark, much appreciated.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”