The Market Garden glider with the plans

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Mister_Burns

The Market Garden glider with the plans

Post by Mister_Burns » 12 May 2020, 18:42

Hello. Forgive me for just barging in here and asking questions right off the bat, but this seems like the right place to get detail on the issue in the subject.
I've tried googling it myself, but as you might imagine I mostly get a one sided view of the goings on in Operation Market Garden.

Quick explanation, for context.
I'm writing a story that has absoluetly nothing to do with any kind of war. Also, it will probably never be released, so in the interest of transparancy: Your help is appreciated, but a waste of time. ;o)
Because of that, I'm not very keen on spending writing time combing through detailed reports for information that's probably not even in there.

Alright, on with it. There's a short flashback to Operation Market Garden in my story, which will be mostly fictional, but I want to be sure that the parts that brush up against reality are correct.
1. Is the name of the person that went into the glider that was downed on september 17th '44 and found the Market Garden plans known?
2. Which battalion (or "group of army guys") was he in?
3. Who commanded that battalion?
4. Where exactly did the glider go down? Like, specifically, if possible.

I'm thinking about making the guy in the flashback the one that actually finds the plans, but if history says this was some well know name I'm gonna have to write around that.

So, thanks in advance for your assistance.

wwilson

Re: The Market Garden glider with the plans

Post by wwilson » 12 May 2020, 20:56

You may enjoying reading this thread on this site:

viewtopic.php?t=101697

Mister_Burns

Post by Mister_Burns » 12 May 2020, 21:57

Which is the thread that got me here.
And also the thread that I didn't read carefully enough, I now see.

Let me just double check, if you don't mind. From that thread I gather that one Feldwebel took the document from the glider in Vught.
From what I can google "feldwebel" isn't a name, but a rank like sagreant. I can't seem to discern the guy's name. I know it's not Student.

wwilson

Post by wwilson » 13 May 2020, 08:17

I may be wrong, but I don't think the name of the soldier who discovered the plans is known. Yes, Feldwebel was a non-commissioned officer rank in the German army and air force.

Student was commanding general of the 1st Airborne Army (1. Fallschirmarmee) on 17 September 1944. This organization was part of the German air force. Since the claim is that the plans were recovered from a glider near Student's headquarters, it makes me wonder if the soldier who found the plans was a German air force member. Student's headquarters would have been protected by a security detail, and ground troops of the air force could have had that duty. Perhaps one of the other members in these forums knows how Student's headquarters was organized.

Reading the other thread, there is also the interesting speculation that the operation was betrayed by a spy, and the explanation offered, as a German attempt to protect their information source, that some incognito German NCO found the plans in the glider.

Mister_Burns

Post by Mister_Burns » 13 May 2020, 23:04

For my story flashback, an unkown soldier is exactly what I wanted.
I think I have all the information I need with that. Thank you.
With the hard time I seem to be having finding out the identity of someone that seems pretty pivotal, I'm guessing you're right in thinking that his identity is unknown.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”