Lutrebois 30.12.1944

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
strops

Lutrebois 30.12.1944

Post by strops » 30 Dec 2020, 12:30

Hi together,

with this topic I want to remember a small Battle in the greater Battle of the Bulge in 1944/45. This battle took place in Lutrebois on Dec 30 in 1944. At this day the german troops started an attack to encircle Bastogne again, after it was reached by the 4th Armored Division. On the eastern side of the then splitted german troops south of Bastogne stand the 167th Volks-Grenadier-Division with a Battle Group of the Panzer-Lehr-Division and the LSSAH. In literature it's widely known that the LSSAH took part in this attack and it's also widely written that this division captured Lutrebois on Dec 30. But this is not what happened. Lutrebois was captured by troops of the the Grenadier-Regiment 331 (167th VGD) in the morning hours of Dec 30. After the attack of the 1st Battalion started at 4:30 am Co L of the 134th Regiment (35th US ID) was able to hold ground until the 2nd Battalion of GR 331 went north and attack the town in southerly dircetion and also eliminated the anti-tank weapons of the 134th Infantry, which were positiond at the north west end of Lutrebois. After capturing Lutrebois the 1st Battalion of the Grenadier-Regiment 331 attack further in south western direction until it's attack was stopped at Chateau de Losange at 09:00 am. After this attack was stopped the Grenadier-Regiment 331 took positions at the west end of Lutrebois and hold ground until their relief by the troops of the LSSAH on New Year in 1945.

Regardless of my resarches (my sources vary from exisiting literature about the 35th ID, 4th AD, LSSAH to the G2-Reports and Journal and Files of the III US Corps and some personal accounts) I'm also interested in additional storys, sources, pictures or accounts about this battle and the units involved. So if there are any additional informations, please add them to this post.

Regards
Alex

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”