Artillery strength Volks-Grenadier divisions at the battle of the Bulge

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Indragnir

Artillery strength Volks-Grenadier divisions at the battle of the Bulge

Post by Indragnir » 17 Aug 2021, 01:10

Hello,

I was reading Appendix F (Matériel strength in the Ardennes) from DuPuy, Anderson and Bongand "Hitler's Last Gamble" In that section they states artillery strength in two columns: Light (guns -not mortars- under 90mm and 105mm howitzers) and Medium (91 to 154mm guns and howitzers)
The medium is quite easy since involves captured russian, german 150mm and 150 s.IG but the Light ones are driving me crazy since the total is almost above 70 for any Volks-Grenadier non Parachute division.
Let's do some math: even if the artillery regiment was at full strength (18x 75mm and 24x105mm) plus 6x 75mm le.IG for every regiment, that makes 60 guns so... which are those 10 to 20 guns I'm missing in every division?

Have you detailed information regarding artillery regiments and Infantry Guns in Volks-Grenadier divisions at the battle of the bulge that match that shown in Appendix F?

Thank you in advance.

Richard Anderson

Re: Artillery strength Volks-Grenadier divisions at the battle of the Bulge

Post by Richard Anderson » 17 Aug 2021, 02:13

Indragnir wrote:
17 Aug 2021, 01:10
Hello,

I was reading Appendix F (Matériel strength in the Ardennes) from DuPuy, Anderson and Bongand "Hitler's Last Gamble" In that section they states artillery strength in two columns: Light (guns -not mortars- under 90mm and 105mm howitzers) and Medium (91 to 154mm guns and howitzers)
The medium is quite easy since involves captured russian, german 150mm and 150 s.IG but the Light ones are driving me crazy since the total is almost above 70 for any Volks-Grenadier non Parachute division.
Let's do some math: even if the artillery regiment was at full strength (18x 75mm and 24x105mm) plus 6x 75mm le.IG for every regiment, that makes 60 guns so... which are those 10 to 20 guns I'm missing in every division?

Have you detailed information regarding artillery regiments and Infantry Guns in Volks-Grenadier divisions at the battle of the bulge that match that shown in Appendix F?

Thank you in advance.
The count included attachments from the VAK.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Indragnir

Post by Indragnir » 17 Aug 2021, 08:49

Thank you.

Do you have the artillery strength without attachments from the VAK?

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 17 Aug 2021, 16:23

Indragnir wrote:
17 Aug 2021, 08:49
Thank you.

Do you have the artillery strength without attachments from the VAK?
No, all of the original files from the ACSDB are in Virginia, while I am in Washington. IIRC, most of the divisions were more or less at strength. Most of the shortages were with prime movers (5. FJD had none), ammunition, and some trained personnel.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”