Wehrmacht in Normandy - June 1944

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Volyn

Wehrmacht in Normandy - June 1944

Post by Volyn » 12 Nov 2021, 07:54

I am trying to identify which German unit was located in and around Azeville, Fontenay sur Mer, and Quinéville, France on 13 June 1944?

The US Army 4th ID captured the town of Azeville, and they were moving towards Quinéville on that day, I would like to know who they were fighting against.

AETIUS 1980

Re: Wehrmacht in Normandy - June 1944

Post by AETIUS 1980 » 12 Nov 2021, 08:25

Most ot the units in this sector were part of 709.Inf.Div.

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 12 Nov 2021, 08:59

Volyn wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 07:54
I am trying to identify which German unit was located in and around Azeville, Fontenay sur Mer, and Quinéville, France on 13 June 1944?

The US Army 4th ID captured the town of Azeville, and they were moving towards Quinéville on that day, I would like to know who they were fighting against.
Possibly Inf-Regt 729. Four men from 7. Kp. and one from 10. Kp. were captured at Ozeville on 13 June. Or 5.'Inf-Regt 919. Three men from it were captured just south of the D42 northeast of Ozeville, also on the 13th,

However, even though the 4th Inf Div G-2 did not mention them that I have found for that date,Azzeville was the location of 2./H.K.A.-Regt. 1261, Fontenay-sur-Mer was the location of 3./H.K.A.-Regt. 1261, and Quinéville was the location of 4./H.K.A.-Regt. 1261.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

AETIUS 1980

Post by AETIUS 1980 » 12 Nov 2021, 09:10

A part of the surplus personnel of the Kriegsmarine units were entrusted to the "good care" of Oberst ROHRBACH and Oberstleutnant KEIL. If this first was initially in charge of the maritime guard of the rear of the front line (Sector St Pierre Eglise and Barfleur), for the benefit of the Kdr of Gr.Rgt.919, this reasoning will evolve with the fall of Montebourg.

sandeepmukherjee196

Post by sandeepmukherjee196 » 12 Nov 2021, 11:01

Volyn wrote:

Hi..

Please find attached the map of operations in that sector, for the day you have in mind. As you can see, two German Divs (709, 243) were involved with their units intermingling here (729 & 739 Regiments; 921 & 922 Regiments) which I have marked with red arrows. The US unit which took Azeville viz., 22 regiment of 4 Div has been circled .with blue at its start point.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Sandeep
Attachments
June13.1.jpg
June13.1.jpg (92.74 KiB) Viewed 5383 times

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 12 Nov 2021, 13:40

Volyn wrote:

It's VERY messy and depends on where you put the boundaries of the sector you're interested in. BTW, assume you mean Ozeville, not Azeville.

That (approx.) sector and period (13-14 June) included (elts. of) II. & III./G.R.919, III./G.R.739 (all 709ID), Pi.Btl.243, II./920 and III./G.R.922 (all 243ID). In various capacities elements of G.R.729 were also involved, including II./729 and an Alarmeinheit of that regiment. I'm talking 'infantry' here, leaving out the various artillery forces and other troops in support.

It should be noted that certain companies were used a reserve/emergency units away from their battalions/regiments. This could be bicycle units (like 5./919), elts. of reserve battalions (possibly explains 7./729) but there were also units which left a skeleton crew to hold the coastal fortification while the rest was used elsewhere (possibly expl. 10./729). Bottom line, the presence of (elements) of a certain company does not mean that more of that battalion/regiment was present.

For those interested, In my book I'll be covering the sector east of the Merderet to reconstruct the German withdrawal and the whereabouts of their frontline units (map included of course). It's been rather complicated to figure this out. Keil's account is important, but not without serious errors which needed serious checking and correcting. (As it stands, publication date will most likely be April 2022. Might be officially announced in a couple of weeks)

Niels

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 12 Nov 2021, 17:42

jpz4 wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 13:40
For those interested, In my book I'll be covering the sector east of the Merderet to reconstruct the German withdrawal and the whereabouts of their frontline units (map included of course). It's been rather complicated to figure this out. Keil's account is important, but not without serious errors which needed serious checking and correcting. (As it stands, publication date will most likely be April 2022. Might be officially announced in a couple of weeks)

Niels
Hi Niels, I look forward to it.

If you are interested in the units involved and where, the G-2 reports of the 4th Inf Div are invaluable. They report PW intake by day, unit, and location. IIRC, the 90th Inf Div G-2 reports are also valuable. I have never checked the 9th and 79th G-2 reports, but they may be a gold mine as well. Sadly, the 82d and 101st A/B records are fragmentary, for obvious reasons.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Volyn

Post by Volyn » 13 Nov 2021, 04:18

Wow thank you everyone who responded the details are great, I will need to read over this a few more times, there will be more questions.
Richard Anderson wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 17:42
If you are interested in the units involved and where, the G-2 reports of the 4th Inf Div are invaluable. They report PW intake by day, unit, and location. IIRC, the 90th Inf Div G-2 reports are also valuable. I have never checked the 9th and 79th G-2 reports, but they may be a gold mine as well. Sadly, the 82d and 101st A/B records are fragmentary, for obvious reasons.
Maybe we can narrow down the scope a little, Richard if you have access to the 4th ID G-2 reports can we determine where 3/22nd IR was located?

Does it list where the companies were?

"On 13 June, the Third Battalion seized the town of Azeville and moved toward the high ground west of Quineville".
https://www.dday-overlord.com/en/battle ... d-infantry

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 13 Nov 2021, 04:56

Volyn wrote:
13 Nov 2021, 04:18
Does it list where the companies were?

"On 13 June, the Third Battalion seized the town of Azeville and moved toward the high ground west of Quineville".
https://www.dday-overlord.com/en/battle ... d-infantry
I don't have the 22d Infantry AAR, but the division AAR states:

"3d Battalion, 22d Infantry launched an attack on Ozeville and advanced to the northeast. 2d Battalion moved into the 12th Infantry sector and launched an attack to the east to secure the high ground north of Quinneville."

The division Historical Report states:

"1st Bn of the 22d advanced about 1000 yards to the north to position just south of the middle crest of the Quinneville ridge. The 3d Bn moved north until it was on the forward slopes, then was ordered to sidestep to the east to a position on the right of the 1st Bn...The 3d Bn made a wide swing thru the 12th Inf sector to the Montebourg-Quinneville highway just east of Fieffsdancel."

The division Narrative History gives no additional details.

There may have been some confusion between "Ozeville" and "Azzeville".
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

sandeepmukherjee196

Post by sandeepmukherjee196 » 18 Nov 2021, 06:40

Hi...

Hope this helps...

22nd Infantry Regiment
After Action Report
4th (US) Infantry Division – Battle of Normandy – June 1944
Headquarters, 22nd Infantry
APO 4, U. S. Army

"On 13 June, the Third Battalion seized the town of Azeville and moved toward the high ground west of Quineville.

The Second Battalion made a wide flanking movement through the 12th Infantry area to attack west along the ridge toward Quineville, and met stiff resistance the entire day.

The First Battalion moved from its position near Fontenay sur Mer to a position to the left of the Third Battalion in preparation for a coordinated Regimental attack on the following morning.

The Regiment attacked with all three battalions on the morning of 14 June, seized the high ground west of Quinville, and organized the position for defense. During the period 15-17 June the 22nd Infantry reorganized and re-equipped without other enemy interference than sporadic artillery fire.

Cheers
Sandeep

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 18 Nov 2021, 08:51

sandeepmukherjee196 wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 06:40
Hi...

Hope this helps...

22nd Infantry Regiment
After Action Report
4th (US) Infantry Division – Battle of Normandy – June 1944
Headquarters, 22nd Infantry
APO 4, U. S. Army

"On 13 June, the Third Battalion seized the town of Azeville and moved toward the high ground west of Quineville.

The Second Battalion made a wide flanking movement through the 12th Infantry area to attack west along the ridge toward Quineville, and met stiff resistance the entire day.

The First Battalion moved from its position near Fontenay sur Mer to a position to the left of the Third Battalion in preparation for a coordinated Regimental attack on the following morning.

The Regiment attacked with all three battalions on the morning of 14 June, seized the high ground west of Quinville, and organized the position for defense. During the period 15-17 June the 22nd Infantry reorganized and re-equipped without other enemy interference than sporadic artillery fire.

Cheers
Sandeep
It does and pretty well confirms when the division was referring to Ozeville, the regiment was referring to Azeville.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 18 Nov 2021, 19:11

Azeville battery had fallen on 9 June. By then the Germans were already no longer in control of Azeville village.

The later stuff is about Ozeville, regardless if it is misspelled as 'Azeville'

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 18 Nov 2021, 19:33

jpz4 wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 19:11
Azeville battery had fallen on 9 June. By then the Germans were already no longer in control of Azeville village.

Yep. The division was getting it right. Sort of like "Pointe du Hoe". Or was it "Pointe du Hoc"? :lol:
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

sandeepmukherjee196

Post by sandeepmukherjee196 » 19 Nov 2021, 14:13

jpz4 wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 19:11

No. The confusion is between the battery location - Azeville and the town. This is how it went according to the AAR - 22 Regiment :

"On the morning 7 June, the Regiment continued the attack. The Third Battalion Continued the attack on the beach strong points; the Second Battalion moved Forward and launched an attack on the strong point northeast of Azeville; the First Battalion moved through Ravenoville, St Marcouf, and attacked the strong point near Crisbecq. Later in the afternoon the First and Second Battalions received counterattacks in some force and were driven back about 800 yards. During the night the First Battalion received another counterattack at about 0040hrs and repulsed this action without casualties.

On 8 June the First and Second Battalions attacked the strong points at Azeville and Crisbecq but were unsuccessful. The Third Battalion continued its Mission of reducing the beach strong points until late in the afternoon at which time they reverted in place to the Regimental reserve with the mission of blocking an expected enemy attempt to break through the First Battalion to the beach. The Third Battalion secured areas already taken and consolidated their positions in the hamlets just east of the Azeville and Crisbecq Gun positions.

A task force commanded by Brig. Gen. Henry A. Barber was formed on 9 June. The decision was made to contain the enemy at Crisbecq with “C” Company, 22nd Infantry and one company of the 899th T.D. Battalion; the remainder of the Regiment was to attack in column of Battalions in order Third, Second, First; after the Third Battalion had seized the town of Azeville and the strong point to the northeast of Azeville. The attack was to jump off at approximately 1800hrs, until then troops prepared and rested before orders were given for the attack.

On 10 June, the Third Battalion moved toward the strong point at Azeville With the Second Battalion containing the enemy at Chau de Fontenay. The First Battalion attacked the town of Fontenay sur Mer to relieve the pressure on the Third Battalion, which was receiving flanking fire from that point.
The 11th of June found the Third Battalion preparing to assault the Azeville strong point with the Second Battalion still containing the enemy at Chau de Fontenay. The First Battalion continued the attack on Fontenay sur Mer.
On the following day the Third Battalion attacked Azeville strong point and by nightfall had almost completed the mopping up operation.

On 13 June, the Third Battalion seized the town of Azeville and moved toward the high ground west of Quineville....."

And then the rest of it as given in my earlier post.

Cheers
Sandeep

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 19 Nov 2021, 15:44

Sandeep, please take a closer look at the map you posted. :wink: It shows that the regiment meant Ozeville after 9 June.

I know it's confusing that there are Azeville (village), Azeville battery and Ozeville but the maps clearly illustrate where those all are and how the 22IR is linked to them.

8-9 June = Azeville (bottom center on map)
10-13 June = Ozeville (center left on map)

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”