Encyclopedia Britannica

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Delta Tank

Encyclopedia Britannica

Post by Delta Tank » 29 Mar 2022, 01:58

To all,

Read this on Encyclopedia Britannica today. They are no better or worse than Wikipedia! At least Wikipedia allows you to correct the errors as long as you cite your sources.

From this page: https://www.britannica.com/place/Omaha-Beach
“From the beginning everything went wrong at Omaha. Special “DD” tanks (amphibious Sherman tanks fitted with flotation screens) that were supposed to support the 116th Regiment sank in the choppy waters of the Channel. Only 2 of the 29 launched made it to the beach. With the exception of Company A, no unit of the 116th landed where it was planned. Strong winds and tidal currents carried the landing craft from right to left. The 16th Regiment on the east half of the beach did not fare much better, landing in a state of confusion with units badly intermingled.”

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_Beach#Tank_landings
“Because sea conditions were so rough, the decision was made for the 116th LCT to carry the DD tanks of the 743rd tank battalion all the way to the beach, after 27 of the initial 29 DD tanks of the 741st tank battalion swamped while wading to shore. Coming in opposite the heavily defended Vierville draw, Company B of the 743rd Tank Battalion lost all but one of its officers and half of its DD tanks. The other two companies landed to the left of B/743 without initial loss. On the 16th RCT front, the two DD tanks from the 741st tank battalion that had survived the swim ashore were joined by three others that were landed directly onto the beach because of their LCT's damaged ramp. The remaining tank company managed to land 14 of its 16 tanks (although three of these were quickly knocked out).[41][42]”

So,I pay to get Encyclopedia Britannica and it is worse then Wikipedia. So, what gives?? How does one inform the people at Encyclopedia Britannica they are incorrect/wrong?? Who writes for Encyclopedia Britannica??

Mike

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Encyclopedia Britannica

Post by Hans1906 » 29 Mar 2022, 18:24

Delta,

nowadays "altbackener Mist", as we say here in Deutschland, for sure there is a english translation for "altbackener Mist".

Not even Wiki knows, never, all the nasty details will never be known, published, not in a thousand years...

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Takao

Post by Takao » 01 Apr 2022, 22:02

Encyclopedias are not meant to give you everything, only provide a brief synopsis...As such, many details are left out.

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 02 Apr 2022, 02:29

Takao wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 22:02
Encyclopedias are not meant to give you everything, only provide a brief synopsis...As such, many details are left out.
Takao,

Did you actually read the post?? What Britannica wrote is absolutely false! What Wikipedia wrote is much, much, much closer to the truth!

Mike

Takao

Post by Takao » 03 Apr 2022, 21:34

Have not looked at an encyclopedia in over 40 years. Once I got out of grade school, I did not need to - They were too basic for my research needs.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 04 Apr 2022, 14:41

In my family's household there was a very extensive german "Brockhaus" encyclopedia.

Brockhaus Enzyklopädie: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brockhaus_Enzyklopädie

Bound in fine leather and edged in gold, the work has been supplemented and expanded over generations.

A true source of interest for me as a young reader, I've always browsed through it, the heaviness of the volumes, the many illustrations, the overwhelming amount of information.
Then the first computer, and Microsoft "Encyclopedia" in the 1980s, ridiculously expensive, modern, not very complex, but international, later "Wikipedia", omniscient, superficial, but easy to use, etc.

As much as I appreciate the internet today, life without reference books is still not possible.
And that will probably never change, which is a good thing! :wink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”