Looking for informations: British bombing day by day / Sicily

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Der_Forscher

Looking for informations: British bombing day by day / Sicily

Post by Der_Forscher » 15 Mar 2023, 00:07

Hello guys,

As an Austrian citizen, I've a lot of information about Germany and WWII. But I am starting right now to inform myself about the War in West, especielly bombardements of europe. I found a nice book "Air War Europa - Americas Air War Against Germany in Europe and North Afrika"- its a Chronology and it tells day by day, which airplanes were transfered, which were bombing what, etc. Problem: this book is only about the USA. I need something thats exactly like that, but about the RAF.

I am sure in the United States you can find very easily such informations, other than in Germany/Austria, were noone talks about war. Other question: I've collected a lot of microfilm rolls about Germany and WWII with super detailed infos. I would enjoy to have the same possibilities about the Allied. I want to start my next topic: the Allied Invasion in Sicily/Italy. Do you know some websites or microfilm rolls with detailed informations and maps about it? Like: which unit moved to which village at what time, which Air Groups were transfered to airplanes on sicily, when exactly were new divisions arriving for reinforcement ...

Would love to hear from you.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: Looking for informations: British bombing day by day / Sicily

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 15 Mar 2023, 23:45

Perhaps this will provide some clues. Cannot swear to the precision of these notes, but they should get you some leads.

Bsased in the western Mediterranean.
Through to mid 1943 the Northwest African Air Force NAAF does not seem to have included any RAF heavy or long range bombers. The XII Bomber command equipped with US Air Groups of B17s covered that role. XII Bomber Command also included medium bomber groups. Usually A20 & B26. Those were used against airfields and supply depots in Tunisia and airfields on Sicilly. These medium bomber groups were also flying missions for the Coastal Command.

The other two combat components of the NAAF were Connnghams Northwest African Tactical Air Force NATAF which consisted of light bomber. mostly single engined fighter-bombers. Then Northwest African Coastal Air Force NACAF under Air Vice-Marshal Hugh Lloyd. This was responsible for attacking the ports and ships at sea. Aside from the US medium bombers drawn from the NATAF this included RAF RAAF, SAAF, and Greek air units. Some of the latter air forces probably flew missions agains Sicillian targets.

The NAAF was subordinate to the Mediterranean Air Command headed by Tedder. That had several major components, but probably what you are looking for are the heavy bombers of No 205 (Heavy Bomber) Group & No 201 (Naval Co-operation) Group. This plus the US 9th Air Force were based in Egypt & later Lybia.

After the collapse of the Axis Tunisian lodgment the Allied air forces continued to evolve. The composition for supporting Op HUSKY was changing. But I'd be surprised if 205 Heavy Bomber Group is not what you are looking for, as well as the Coastal Command Missions vs Sicilly.

Aber

Post by Aber » 16 Mar 2023, 11:01

Der_Forscher wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 00:07
. I want to start my next topic: the Allied Invasion in Sicily/Italy. Do you know some websites or microfilm rolls with detailed informations and maps about it? Like: which unit moved to which village at what time, which Air Groups were transfered to airplanes on sicily, when exactly were new divisions arriving for reinforcement ...
A starting point for the RAF

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/ ... II-14.html

jbroshot

Post by jbroshot » 17 Mar 2023, 05:43

Der_Forscher wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 00:07

I am sure in the United States you can find very easily such informations, other than in Germany/Austria, were noone talks about war. Other question: I've collected a lot of microfilm rolls about Germany and WWII with super detailed infos. I would enjoy to have the same possibilities about the Allied. I want to start my next topic: the Allied Invasion in Sicily/Italy. Do you know some websites or microfilm rolls with detailed informations and maps about it? Like: which unit moved to which village at what time, which Air Groups were transfered to airplanes on sicily, when exactly were new divisions arriving for reinforcement ...

Would love to hear from you.
Online resources

British official history, includes information on the air war

The Mediterranean and Middle East: Volume 5 The Campaign in Sicily 1943 AND The Campaign in Italy, 3rd September 1943 to 31st March 1944 (History of the Second World War United Kingdom Military Series)

https://archive.org/details/mediterrane ... east-vol-5

U.S. Army official history of the campaign

SICILY AND THE SURRENDER OF ITALY

https://history.army.mil/catalog/pubs/6/6-2.html

RAF Air Historical Branch narrative of the campaign

Sicilian Campaign

https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation ... gust-1943/

An almost day by day account of the air campaign can be found in

A History of the Mediterranean Air War 1940-1945 Volume Four Sicily and Italy to the Fall of Rome 14 May, 1943 - 5 June, 1944
by Christopher Shores and Giovanni Massimello et al (2018) ISBN-13; 9781911621102

Der_Forscher

Post by Der_Forscher » 27 Mar 2023, 21:29

Thanks for you answers! Really interesting stuff. I can now study the Allied Landings in Sicily in detail. What I am missing and what I would love to have: something like a diary of the RAF concerning the bombing war in Europe. On which day which squadron flew which mission?

In the sense of, e.g:
Squadron No. 90 bombed Cologne with xx - planes.
On this day the RAF establishes a new squadron in xxx.
Squadron No. XX is transferred from airport A to airport B.

For the Air Force there is enough, for the RAF I find nothing ...

Aber

Post by Aber » 28 Mar 2023, 15:08

Der_Forscher wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 21:29
Thanks for you answers! Really interesting stuff. I can now study the Allied Landings in Sicily in detail. What I am missing and what I would love to have: something like a diary of the RAF concerning the bombing war in Europe. On which day which squadron flew which mission?

In the sense of, e.g:
Perhaps
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bomber-Command ... =1&depth=1
eg
Bomber diary.PNG
Bomber diary.PNG (36 KiB) Viewed 688 times

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 29 Mar 2023, 00:28

Der_Forscher wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 21:29

In the sense of, e.g:

For the Air Force there is enough, for the RAF I find nothing ...
Search for a copy of Richard G. Davis, Bombing the European Axis Powers, Air University Press, 2006, online. If it is still available it includes a set of Excel spreadsheets that include location by Sicily and by town, daily, for the entire war. Data includes air force bombing, type of target struck, number of aircraft attack and lost, and bomb weight by HE, Incendiary, or Frag.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”