Performance of German Kampfgruppen at Arnhem, Sept. 17-26, '44

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Diameter0488

Performance of German Kampfgruppen at Arnhem, Sept. 17-26, '44

Post by Diameter0488 » 29 Jun 2023 01:25

It is astonishing during the Western Allies' Operation Market-Garden that ad-hoc German forces, Kampfgruppen, i.e., improvised "battle-groups," formed and centered around a few experienced, battle-hardened, and savvy army veterans but otherwise comprising army stragglers, Luftwaffe ground crews, teenage Kriegsmarine cadets, more teenage boys of the Hitlerjugend, and others, many of whom, if not most, had never been trained as infantry or even fired a shot in battle before Arnhem, could fight a British Airborne Division, the infantry elite of the British Army, to an absolute standstill and stop it dead in its tracks. It was certainly an extraordinary and tremendous feat of arms by these improvised, ad-hoc German formations. The Germans truly were remarkable soldiers.

Max Hastings in his excellent book Armageddon: the Battle for Germany, 1944-1945 gives a searing and comprehensive account of Operation Market-Garden and the Battle of Arnhem and in this chapter's source notes on the battle he gives acknowledgment to Robert J. Kershaw's "It Never Snows in September": the German View of MARKET-GARDEN and the Battle of Arnhem, September 1944 which now I shall have to read as I am so intrigued by the Germans' operations at Arnhem. I hope it gives a good, detailed, and comprehensive account of how the Germans accomplished this great feat of arms and triumphed at Arnhem with such hurriedly formed ad-hoc, improvised formations of mostly untrained and fully inexperienced personnel so late in the war.
Serius est quam cogitas.

Westphalia1812

Re: Performance of German Kampfgruppen at Arnhem, Sept. 17-26, '44

Post by Westphalia1812 » 29 Jun 2023 13:52

I gotta make sure they know who they messing with

Cruel Winter for those who chose to play God in Gods Country

Diameter0488

Re: Performance of German Kampfgruppen at Arnhem, Sept. 17-26, '44

Post by Diameter0488 » 29 Jun 2023 16:49

Thanks. Looks interesting. I'll read it in full when I have more time.👍
Serius est quam cogitas.

hilfwis