Holland or other?

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Timo

Post by Timo » 04 Jun 2004, 15:16

Hallo Robdutch,

HaEn is both a veteran from 34. SS "Landstorm Nederland" and from this forum :)

BTW, the official name is "Nederland" (dutch) or "The Netherlands" (english), but not "Netherland"

mvg,
Timo

Buck_Compton

Re: Holland or not?

Post by Buck_Compton » 05 Jun 2004, 14:44

Ok well i have never been aware of the land storm.....where they of great military importance during the liberation between september 1944 and 1945 or where those guys just easaliy whiped out troops wich where incifnificant to the battle's

Greetz buck

Robdutch

Post by Robdutch » 07 Jun 2004, 12:39

:D
Sorry I was thinking in English. I should have know that being a dutchman. I am myself 21 years old and never met a veteran of the second world war. I shall ask HaEn a question in dutch. De Landstorm Brigade is opgezet ter defensie van Nederland tegen de geallieerden. Wilde u niet dienen bij het legioen aan het oostfront?
Waar heeft u allemaal gevochten in Nederland?

Dank u hartelijk voor enig antwoord.

Greetings

Robdutch

Post by Robdutch » 07 Jun 2004, 12:48

Buck,

The landstorm wasn't a elite unit. It had shortage in weapons and men. It was a division in only name. In 1944 parts of the brigade fought at different places in southern Netherland and Belgium. In 1945 it was one of the six weakend divisions of German 25 army. With the breakthrough of the Canadians in april 1945 the division found his end.

Bye Rob

Timo

Post by Timo » 07 Jun 2004, 21:37

Rob, perhaps these questions are easily answered by searching HaEn's earlier posts or by sending him a pm.

Regards,
Timo

Robdutch

Post by Robdutch » 08 Jun 2004, 09:13

That is of course better, thank you.

Bye,

HaEn
In memoriam

Landstorm Nederland

Post by HaEn » 22 Jun 2004, 16:33

For those interested, a visit to www.waffen-ss.nl might be in order.
Considering the poor armament, supplies etc. the Landstorm was not a poor performer. Just like the Dutch Army which fought in 1940 AGAINST the Germans, they (the Landstorm) held out for some time against all odds, I gues from sheer Dutch stubbornness :wink: :) .
Why Landstormers did not go to the Russian Front ? Who knows . Like any army there were a variety of reasons for enlisting. From idealism, to religion (fighting against the bolsheviks), to get what you can while the getting is still reasonable, to a judge telling someone "either to jail, or sign up :( ". I personally had volunteered for the Standarte Westland, but (long story) had been waylaid into being stationed in the netherlands instead. HN.

Robdutch

Post by Robdutch » 24 Jun 2004, 15:33

When was the first dutch Waffen SS units formed in the Netherlands? Did you also served in the betuwe? Where did the landstorm have it hardest fight?
By the way HaEn is right about the dutch stubbornness. I mean just watch the football. We won :lol:

Rob

HaEn
In memoriam

when ?

Post by HaEn » 24 Jun 2004, 15:57

When was the first Dutch unit formed ? You mean for utilization on the Eastern front ? or as "territorial troops". ? Again, why don't you visit Edwin's website www.waffen-ss.nl. It will have answers to just about all the questions about dutch territorial troops, and their battles.
Groeten HN.

Dietsland
Banned

Re: when ?

Post by Dietsland » 27 Jun 2004, 14:56

HaEn wrote:When was the first Dutch unit formed ? You mean for utilization on the Eastern front ? or as "territorial troops". ? Again, why don't you visit Edwin's website www.waffen-ss.nl. It will have answers to just about all the questions about dutch territorial troops, and their battles.
Groeten HN.
Hallo HaEn,

I see you now live in the US. When did you leave the Netherlands? Did the royal dutch government imprision you for serving in the WSS.

I am interested as my Grandfather was not in the WSS but was a member of the NSB and life was made very hard for him and the family by the royal dutch government after the so called liberation.

MVG, Steve

Dietsland
Banned

Post by Dietsland » 27 Jun 2004, 15:01

Sorry, would write in Dutch but I have already been told off by Marcus Wendel the Webmaster for doing so in a previous topic and since I am new here I can not be bothered with the hassel of unsetting a mod. :|

Timo

Post by Timo » 27 Jun 2004, 16:01

Dietsland wrote: after the so called liberation.
...There was nothing "so called" about the liberation from nazi terror.

Also, there is no "royal Dutch government". It's a constitutional monarchy with a queen who is head of state in name but which is ruled by an elected parlement and a government led by a prime minister.

Dietsland
Banned

Post by Dietsland » 27 Jun 2004, 16:22

Timo Worst wrote:

Also, there is no "royal Dutch government". It's a constitutional monarchy with a queen who is head of state in name but which is ruled by an elected parlement and a government led by a prime minister.
Just because you say or write thing does not make them true, sorry to break the news to you. :lol:

Dietsland
Banned

Post by Dietsland » 27 Jun 2004, 16:24

Timo Worst wrote:

I can tell what you thing of freedom of speech! BAN IT! I know your kind!

Timo

Post by Timo » 27 Jun 2004, 16:29

You know nothing. Especially not about me or "my kind" or about the Dutch government. You live in a delution.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”