Holland or other?

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
PropCollector
In memoriam

Post by PropCollector » 27 Jun 2004, 20:26

Gentlemen,

I noticed this interesting discussion, and I want to throw some new discussion stuff in here !!! :D

In my airdropped and shelled propaganda leaflets collection are two leaflets that are SHELLED BY CANADIANS TOWARDS DUTCH AXIS TROOPS IN HOLLAND in 1944/1945.

Can you please give me your opinion? Did you know these leaflets? Haen, maybe you remember these?

See:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... ht=#479758

Hans[/b]

HaEn
In memoriam

leaflets

Post by HaEn » 29 Jun 2004, 05:40

Sorry, but I don't remember seeing any of the leaflets aimed at the dutch troops of the Landstorm Nederland. I have seen one, a long time after the war though.
We DID find "Passierscheine" though, that guaranteed good treatment upon surrender. It was even phonetically printed out for us. "Aai surrèndur" or so.

Now a question: Why do you and others feel it necessary to print the name of your organization in such bold letters across photos and other pictures. Plagiarism ? Keep in mind please that ultimately all these things were once public property, unless personal photgraphs in someone's private posession.
A REAL plagiarist will find ways to remove your markings.
As it stands, it takes something away from the posting.
Just a thought (another one this week) :?
HN.

Robdutch

Re: when ?

Post by Robdutch » 29 Jun 2004, 10:33

I am interested as my Grandfather was not in the WSS but was a member of the NSB and life was made very hard for him and the family by the royal dutch government after the so called liberation.

perhaps for the NSB it was a so called liberation. But for real dutch people it was a true liberation.

Rob
Last edited by Robdutch on 30 Jun 2004, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

PropCollector
In memoriam

Re: leaflets

Post by PropCollector » 29 Jun 2004, 20:41

HaEn wrote: Now a question: Why do you and others feel it necessary to print the name of your organization in such bold letters across photos and other pictures. Plagiarism ? Keep in mind please that ultimately all these things were once public property, unless personal photgraphs in someone's private posession.
A REAL plagiarist will find ways to remove your markings.
As it stands, it takes something away from the posting.
Just a thought (another one this week) :?
HN.
Hi Haen,

I had hoped you did know my leaflets. But allas :(

I understand your thoughts on the point of the markings. But I can show you many articles, books and websites filled with leaflets from my collection without any given credit to my site.
And everybody with a homepage or a written article or book, likes the source being mentioned if somebody takes parts of it. Although that is not the main reason to ask for credits, that is how most humans work :D

Besides, I NEVER did refuse anybody to use pictures/text (without overprint) from my collection IF they just did ask for it and mention the source. I even provide them with extra high quality scans. As an example, I recently provided pictures for a Canadian 'school'book ( http://www.annickpress.com/catalog/hoodwinked.html ). Of course for free. The only thing i ask is a small text reference to my site. And this brings me to the important main reason asking for 'credits':

It brings visitors to my site or to my email box that often help me to get new information or even new items (leaflets)!!!!! Without the credits given by others , there will be much fewer visitors and, of course, less "providers" of info/items.

And it is as you say. A SMALL marking won't stop others from using the pictures. But large print will do the job for sure!
Again, if anybody wants to use the picture for serious articles or whatsoever, they can have it without the markings. For free. Just some credit is needed.

Furthermore, I go for the assumption that the users of this forum, often being at least very serious amateur historians or even professional or semi-professionals, are looking for the information provided and NOT for the ripping of the pictures. For the few others on this forum, I think it is needed to protect the pictures from use elsewhere.

But all this is just MY opinion .... :)

Hans

Barrelhunter

Post by Barrelhunter » 22 Dec 2004, 23:58

With most imagrants from the Netherlands coming from the Hollands to America the term stuck. We also call Deutchland Germany and Nippon Japan. Also trade items back in our begining were adressed to Holland so it just kind of stuck with us.

Also about the Limburger. No offence but thats one family tradition I never want in my refrigerator. <<insert green faced sick smiley here>>>

Jim

HaEn
In memoriam

Re: when ?

Post by HaEn » 28 Dec 2004, 03:29

Robdutch wrote:I am interested as my Grandfather was not in the WSS but was a member of the NSB and life was made very hard for him and the family by the royal dutch government after the so called liberation.

perhaps for the NSB it was a so called liberation. But for real dutch people it was a true liberation.

Rob
For many Dutch people it was LIBERATION; for many "sit on the fencers" it was Oh God they finally are gone; for N.S.B.ers and German sympathizers, it was a catastrophy, many spent several years in camps and lost everything.
One man's blessing is another man's curse.
:cry:
HN

redcoat

Post by redcoat » 28 Dec 2004, 13:08

Erik E wrote:The German army used Holland even in official documents.
The German army couldn't even get the name of one of the major allies right, often referring to the English or England, when in fact they were fighting the British, and the UK :roll:

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”