Aircraft claims over the Maginot Line Jan/Feb 1940

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Vitesse

Aircraft claims over the Maginot Line Jan/Feb 1940

Post by Vitesse » 15 Apr 2004, 17:08

This is a real long shot! Can anyone provide me with or point me towards a source for Allied claims/confirmed kills of Luftwaffe aircraft in Eastern France for the late January-early February period of 1940?

I'm looking particularly for a Messerschmitt 109 of II./JG51, possibly shot down on or before February 2nd. The pilot, Major Burggaller, is known to have died on that date at Immenstadt, but that of course could result from hospitalization after an earlier incident.

Garbled reports at the time indicated he was leading an attack on the British coast, but that seems extremely unlikely. However, an attack on a British unit or a clash with British fighters might be possibilities.

I have no idea whether he was shot down by an Allied plane, anti-aircraft or just plain crashed - any leads gratefully received.

Burggaller's unusual name is often mis-spelled with only one G, BTW. He had been a pilot in WW1 with Jasta 10 and in the inter-war period he was a leading figure in German motor sport.

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 15 Apr 2004, 17:31

Errr... If he died in Immenstadt (I think there is only one), that is about 180 miles from Mulhouse, and 375 miles from Sedan. The place is in the sticks, in the foothills of the Bavarian alps, east of the Bodensee.

It somehow appears unlikely to me that he would have been transported that far with serious injuries. You are probably looking for a date quite before the 2nd Feb, or a different place where he died.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 16 Apr 2004, 02:25

Brian Cull along with others wrote a book called The Phoney War, in reagrds to the air conflict from Sept 1939 to May 9th 1940. Publishers were Grubb Street.

The books he writes are very detailed concerning claims and actions fought

Andy H

Vitesse

Post by Vitesse » 16 Apr 2004, 15:13

Thanks for the info. I've traced the book, which I assume is "Fledgling Eagles" by Christopher Shore et al.

I'm not certain that Burggaller actually died in combat, which is why I'm trying to find details of operations. As Andreas points out, Immenstadt is a fair way from the border: it's also a fair way from his home base at the time, which was Mannheim-Sandhofen.

As a well-known personality at the time, it would be somewhat embarrassing for the Reich if he died on a training flight - much better that he died a hero's death. I have a press cutting from the time which reports it as "heldentod" = death in action, a hero's death etc etc.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”