Help!! Info Needed Aachen theatre.

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
vogelbird

Help!! Info Needed Aachen theatre.

Post by vogelbird » 24 May 2004 18:54

Can anyone help me with information about what was going on in the vicinity of Aachen at the end of January 1945? I am interested because I have just got details from the US Army Human Resources Command about my uncle who was killed near there, at a place called Kalterherberg on January 31st 1945. His unit is given as Hq Co 3rd Bn 39th Inf. Regt. 9th Inf. Div. Does anybody have any details as to where this unit was or whom they were up against or any actions taking place in this area on or around this date? If so, I would dearly love to know.
Regards Vogelbird

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 24 May 2004 20:10

Vogel....

Are you sure of the date? the Official "US ARMY IN WORLD WAR II" Special Studies - Chronology, shows the 9th Div inviolved in Kalterherberg in September 1944.....

vogelbird

US 9th Div

Post by vogelbird » 25 May 2004 12:52

Ogorek wrote:Vogel....

Are you sure of the date? the Official "US ARMY IN WORLD WAR II" Special Studies - Chronology, shows the 9th Div inviolved in Kalterherberg in September 1944.....

Hello Ogorek.
Yes, according to the records I have obtained (37 pages), he was killed in action on January 31st 1945 in Kalterherberg, and buried at the Henri Chapelle cemetery in Belgium on February 3rd. All his inventry papers listing his property are also dated February 1945, so it seems to be consistent. I did not know of the US Army publication that you mentioned. I wonder if there is a way of reconciling the 9th Division being engaged in action in Kalterherberg at this time??
Regards Vogelbird

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 25 May 2004 17:29

Try Google ( 9th + Kalterherberg )

9th crossed the Marne, 28 August, swept through Saarlautern, and in November and December held defensive positions from Monschau to Losheim. Moving north to Bergrath, Germany, it launched an attack toward the Roer, 10 December, taking Echtz and Schlich. From mid-December through January 1945, the Division held defensive positions from Kalterherberg to Elsenborn. On 30 Jannary the Division jumped off from Monschau in a drive across the Roer and to Rhine, crossing at Remagen, 7 March. After breaking out of the Remagen bridgehead, the [quote][/quote]

http://www.mrfa2.org/9thWWII.htm

vogelbird

US 9th Div

Post by vogelbird » 26 May 2004 14:58

Thanks Ogorek. Just after writing that last post I did coincidentally find that site and info on the 9th Div. I am still looking into it now. Thanks again.
Vogelbird

WRGV

9th US Inf Div (Kalterherberg)

Post by WRGV » 15 Jun 2004 00:35

Of course you right.Kalterherberg is only a few miles west of Monchau but a conciderable few more miles from Aachen,the 9th fought between Kalterherberg and Oberforstbach just south of Aachen.
Greetings

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”