D-Day remembered.

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
CHRISCHA
Financial supporter

Post by CHRISCHA » 07 Jun 2004 20:01

The beach machine gunner has appeared in many of the newspapers here, and quite a bit about Gehard Schroeder's father being a German infantryman (eastern front).

There were some German vetrans at the celebration according to the Daily Mail.

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 08 Jun 2004 12:29

One of the things that most annoyed me of the celebration was the absence of German veterans of the battle -at least in the news I saw in this little corner of the universe called Spain-.

Also, I ended really fed up with the obsession of the Media here to retell again the story of Garbo, the spy who managed to blind Hitler. There were two funny things in this retelling: The Media keep repeating the same things they explained 10 years ago, when the 50th anniversary -sometimes I wonder how my memory is capable of remembering some things-. Finally, the most funny thing about Garbo is that, while the Media insisted on the international nature of the D-Day, they managed to keep to a minimun making any reference to the fact that Garbo, real name: Joan Pujol, was catalan. It seems that the Spanish Media haven't heard about that crazy little thing called multiculturalism... :P

Best regards

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 09 Jun 2004 18:19

Tom, I applaude you for what you said. I'm glad you see why its so easy for non-American's to get frustrated.

The American effort during ww2 was incredible, perhaps the most important. But as you say the dead of other countries who died fighting aggression should be remembered.

What frightens me is that this just feeds into general anti americanism.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The number of French civilian deatsh also shocked me. But what struck me was the story of an old man I think, in Bayeau, who was trapped in a cellar after a bombing raid, and wasnt resecued in time before he died.

He apparently wrote on a piece of paper that he was sad that the force that he would not live to see the liberation but beared no ill feeligns to the allies, and was just thankful to know in his final hours that liberation had arrived.

The other thing that shocked me was the incredible modesty of the veterans. It certainly shows us the meaning of courage.

regards,

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 10 Jun 2004 11:23

Panzermeyer wrote: The number of French civilian losses during WW2 is of 390,000 people ... including 67,000 losses due to allied air bombings. There were alone 50,000 French civilian losses during the battle of Normandy and its preparation. But that did not hinder the French civilians of being grateful to their liberators.

Regards,

David
Thanks for posting this David. I have been trying to find out information like this for some time. At best, I could only come up with a very conservative figure of "about 40.000" French dead due to Allied bombs, which I considered to be rather untruthful. Obviously due to the fact that the Western Allies were keeping quiet about the amount of French people they wiped out.

It was interesting to note, that with these celebrations, it was the first time that the death of French civilians was even mentioned regarding the Allied invasion of Normandy or the Allied bombing of France. In fact, one Channel 4 documentary mentioned that General Allen-Brooke stated that the "French were none too pleased to see us" and quoted an infantry man in saying "...met some natives today (French).....they didn't share in our excitment".

It was remarkably honest in its assessment of the French attitude to the Allied invasion. In contrast it showed also the celebrations when Paris was liberated, just to balance things out, of course.

Tony

CHRISCHA
Financial supporter

Post by CHRISCHA » 10 Jun 2004 18:29

US paratroopers wore the US flag as patches on their upper arms so they wouldn't be confused as British.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”