rumour about units in holland 1945

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
jagdflieger

rumour about units in holland 1945

Post by jagdflieger » 14 Jun 2004, 09:58

I've heard that the western allies held intact and equiped german units in Netherlans after the end of the war. The purpose would be to have more soldiers in case the russians would continue westwards.

This is just some rumour and my "source" is friends older brother who said this 5-6 yers ago ... so you can understand my question - is there any truth in this? And does anyone have a reliable source?

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 15 Jun 2004, 16:55

The Allies (Well the British for certain) formed some labour battalions to help in the removal of rubble from bomb damaged & war damaged cities, and to help in general construction.

However these units were never armed and I've not come across any such unit, be it in Germany, Holland or eleswhere that was formed or kept intact after the war's end to repel any Russian advance west.

Andy H

jagdflieger

Post by jagdflieger » 15 Jun 2004, 17:12

Andy H wrote:The Allies (Well the British for certain) formed some labour battalions to help in the removal of rubble from bomb damaged & war damaged cities, and to help in general construction.

However these units were never armed and I've not come across any such unit, be it in Germany, Holland or eleswhere that was formed or kept intact after the war's end to repel any Russian advance west.

Andy H
ahaa - well I guess these labourbattalions were the feather that became the hen ;) thanks Andy!

HaEn
In memoriam

holland

Post by HaEn » 16 Jun 2004, 15:51

I think that rumor got started because there were units that did not capitulate immediately. So, in one city, Veenendaal, although technically liberated, the 34th SS Landstorm Nederland, was well in control until the 10th of may '45
Part of this was that they refused to capitulate to the Dutch resistance; and part was that there were "official rumors" that they would be marched off to Germany proper, re-armed, and used as a second defense line against the Soviets, who were violating their pre-set advance boundaries.
Even to the extend that when they did turn in their weapons to the Canadians, they were cleaned, oiled and ready to be "re-issued".
HN

jagdflieger

Re: holland

Post by jagdflieger » 16 Jun 2004, 16:04

HaEn wrote:I think that rumor got started because there were units that did not capitulate immediately. So, in one city, Veenendaal, although technically liberated, the 34th SS Landstorm Nederland, was well in control until the 10th of may '45
Part of this was that they refused to capitulate to the Dutch resistance; and part was that there were "official rumors" that they would be marched off to Germany proper, re-armed, and used as a second defense line against the Soviets, who were violating their pre-set advance boundaries.
Even to the extend that when they did turn in their weapons to the Canadians, they were cleaned, oiled and ready to be "re-issued".
HN
thanks for an interesting answer - what 's your source?

Reichskriegsgericht

Post by Reichskriegsgericht » 17 Jun 2004, 11:53

I never heard of such units in the Netherlands. However, WC kept larger german units in Schleswig-Holstein under British control, IIRC with weapons and under german officers for a time after the war. For the reason stated in the first posting. When I was still collecting Feldpost, I had a few letters of these units in my collection. There also were some minesweeping flottillas undr British control.

Robert Stuhr

HaEn
In memoriam

source

Post by HaEn » 17 Jun 2004, 15:19

>>>>thanks for an interesting answer - what 's your source?<<<<

Me :wink:, I was there, and carrying messages between HQs.
The weapons ? Mine were part of it :cry:
Oh well. HN

jagdflieger

Re: source

Post by jagdflieger » 17 Jun 2004, 16:29

HaEn wrote:>>>>thanks for an interesting answer - what 's your source?<<<<

Oh well. HN
I take your word as a "reliable source" :)

PropCollector
In memoriam

Post by PropCollector » 18 Jun 2004, 12:54

jagdflieger wrote:

Oh well. HN
Read this for a "source":

http://www.waffen-ss.nl/lstormgesch-e.php

Very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hans

jagdflieger

Post by jagdflieger » 20 Jun 2004, 14:53

PropCollector wrote:
jagdflieger wrote:

Oh well. HN
Read this for a "source":

http://www.waffen-ss.nl/lstormgesch-e.php

Very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hans
indeed interesting and informative - it seems that every question and answer leads to even more intreresting information.

Ulex

Post by Ulex » 24 Jun 2004, 22:51

Oh well. HN
Greetings HaEn,

Can you tell me/us about your experience after turning in your weapons?
(Who you surrendered to, Treatment, overall experience)

Thanks!

HaEn
In memoriam

surrender

Post by HaEn » 27 Jun 2004, 04:49

I thought I had posted that already before. But here is goes.
Surrendered to the Candadians at Veenendaal Netherlands; after having been disarmed, there were suddenly lots and lots of resistance fighters emerging from their kitchen sink cabinets.
Canadians treated us rather decent, with few individual exceptions.
After we were turned over to the Dutch ? well thats a whole book to be written'about. :cry:
Greetings. HN.

PropCollector
In memoriam

Post by PropCollector » 27 Jun 2004, 20:33

Gentlemen,

I noticed this interesting discussion, and I want to throw some new discussion stuff in here !!!

In my airdropped and shelled propaganda leaflets collection are two leaflets that are SHELLED BY CANADIANS TOWARDS DUTCH AXIS TROOPS IN HOLLAND in 1944/1945.

Can you please give me your opinion? Did you know these leaflets? Haen, maybe you remember these?

See:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... ht=#479758

Hans

Ulex

Re: surrender

Post by Ulex » 28 Jun 2004, 17:31

HaEn wrote:I thought I had posted that already before. But here is goes.
Surrendered to the Candadians at Veenendaal Netherlands; after having been disarmed, there were suddenly lots and lots of resistance fighters emerging from their kitchen sink cabinets.
Canadians treated us rather decent, with few individual exceptions.
After we were turned over to the Dutch ? well thats a whole book to be written'about. :cry:
Greetings. HN.
Thanks for the Reply HaEN!... Let us know when the book is ready :)
Make sure you include how you ended up in Oregon (I have relatives in southern Oregon, very nice place)

HaEn
In memoriam

Oregon

Post by HaEn » 29 Jun 2004, 23:57

Thanks. Oregon is indeed one of the few states with moderate climate, average rain, average sunshine, mountains, prairy AND sunny beaches.
You know the story of the Mormon trek westwards ? And them stopping in the Salt lake Valley in Utah ? Brigham Young, who was sick, looked out of the covered wagon and proclaimed "this is the place". So that's where they set up their colony. I THINK 8O :D they were on their way more west and therefor Oregon; when the caravan stopped, and he looked out of the wagon he said "This is the place ?????", his followers misunderstood and the rest is history :lol: :lol: :D
Greetings from almost Zion. HN.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”