German bombs over England

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Topspeed

German bombs over England

Post by Topspeed » 06 Jul 2004 20:38

[Split from "Never forget the Holocaust of Hamburg"]

I am curious did germans bomb also same kinda heavily burning bombs in the English cities ?

just my 2 cents,

Juke T / Oulu :?

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 06 Jul 2004 20:46

Topspeed wrote:I am curious did germans bomb also same kinda heavily burning bombs in the English cities ?

just my 2 cents,

Juke T / Oulu :?
The Germans did wreck havoc. Of course by this point in the war it was not because Germany had some moral reason for not bombing London and Liverpool etc. in the same fashion but because they could not do it. They did the same or worse in Stalingrad/Leningrad/Moscow as Hamburg seen not to mention 1000's of villages and small towns.

There is no war crime here and the article scanned and put here has many false statements as already been mentioned.

Hop

Post by Hop » 06 Jul 2004 22:50

I am curious did germans bomb also same kinda heavily burning bombs in the English cities ?
Yes. They employed very large numbers of small incendiaries, but also very large oil and petrol filled incendiaries, some as large as 500 kg each.

They dropped them on all the major British cities during the blitz of 1940/41, killing 40,000 civilians in about 8 months of attacks.

redcoat

Re: German bombs over England

Post by redcoat » 07 Jul 2004 00:03

Topspeed wrote:[I am curious did germans bomb also same kinda heavily burning bombs in the English cities ?
Heres a web-site which tells you what types of bombs and incendiaries the Luftwaffe used against Britain
http://www.fishponds.freeuk.com/luftmain.htm

It was the Luftwaffe which first used the combination of large 'blast' bombs and massive amounts of very small incendiaries to increase the amount of fire damage

Uninen

Post by Uninen » 07 Jul 2004 10:05

It doesnt mean anything that did or did they not use similar methods, what matters is numbers of dead and injured, and we all know who is the supreme winner of that race.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blitz wrote:42,000 civilians are estimated to have died during the campaign, with over 50,000 injured, and around 130,000 houses destroyed.
RAF managed figures like that in single day, on several occasions.. you just cant compare the Germans attacks with one of allies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gomorrah wrote:Operation Gomorrah occasioned at least 50,000 deaths and left over one million German civilians homeless.
Futhermore the another topic from which this topic was separated ( http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=54019 ) somebody said it isnt just to call massacre of Hamburg as a holocaust..

Now why is that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust wrote:The word Holocaust (Greek for "a completely (holos) burnt (kaustos) sacrificial offering")

Today, the term "holocaust" is also used to describe other attempts at genocide, both before and after World War II and, more generally, for any overwhelmingly massive and deliberate loss of life, such as that which would result from a nuclear war (sometimes called a "nuclear holocaust").
I sure think that it meets the "standards"..

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 07 Jul 2004 10:08

Uninen,

Stay on topic, this thread is about the bombings on England, not Hamburg.

/Marcus

Uninen

Post by Uninen » 07 Jul 2004 10:33

Yes, sorry Marcus Wendel..

I just felt like commenting after i read what people had posted in "Never forget the Holocaust of Hamburg" topic..

I was quite enraged by those posts (by the end justs means mentality in there..) and since it was locked already.. felt this was the natural place to comment on.

But wont happen again, sorry.

Regards
Uninen

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 07 Jul 2004 15:53

Uninen,

Just think about it 100 000 victims....in Finland that would have meant 3% of the entire population. We finns got very furious just after 60 died in the Helsinki bombings in the beginning of the Winter War.

As a retaliation allied 10 folded that aggression caused devastation.

When germans used those phospherous bombs and such it was even a bigger nightmare than we can really imagine.

As I cannot say it is ok to bomb either way I say both committed a crime against humanity which is called commonly large scale bomb raid.

-----------------------------------------------------

I think it was our late president Kekkonen who said that, in the peace matters we are not neutral..we are always against a war. Jolly good chap that Kekkonen. Some say he was a "finlandized" dictator. Meaning that his headquartiers were actually in Moscow....there is a lot of evidence that it was not the case. Altough he may have danced pretty well with the devil.

-----------------------------------------------------

regards,

Juke T / Oulu

WalterS

Post by WalterS » 07 Jul 2004 19:34

This thread, too, belongs in the "World War II in Western Europe and Atlantic" Forum. No war crimes have been alleged here. The German bombings of British cities were not war crimes. I would point out that no Luftwaffe Commanders were prosecuted for those bombings. Also, the charges against Hermann Göring did not include any of these raids. In fact, his role as Commander of the Luftwaffe was only briefly mentioned in the judgment against him.

Uninen wrote
I just felt like commenting after i read what people had posted in "Never forget the Holocaust of Hamburg" topic..

I was quite enraged by those posts (by the end justs means mentality in there..) and since it was locked already.. felt this was the natural place to comment on.
Actually I think you should save your rage for the German Government of Adolf Hitler that led its people into a war of conquest and extermination. I think you should save your rage for those who perpetrated the real Holocaust: the planned and intended extermination of an entire race of people.

What would you have the Allies do? Sit on their thumbs in England and not strike at Germany at all while millions of Russian soldiers and civilians are being slaughtered on the Eastern Front? Would you allow German production and transportation systems to operate unimpeded? I kind of doubt it. So save your rage for those who deserve it.

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 08 Jul 2004 07:09

WalterS wrote: I think you should save your rage for those who perpetrated the real Holocaust: the planned and intended extermination of an entire race of people.
WalterS,

I think it is very important detail to know that Hitler wasn't ever going to kill all the Jews. Half of them who had the money and means had left Germany in good time.

He did say: " Alle Juden muss sterben !". Which more than anything explain the state of mental health of this person. Only because of the ruthless work of SS leader Eichmann were they ever able to murder so many jews as they did.

I am saying that killing the entire race was out of their reach like conquering England. Had they tried to kill finnish jews in Finland they would have made a big mistake.

regards,

Juke T

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 08 Jul 2004 09:56

WalterS & Topspeed,

Please stay on topic, this thread is about the bombings on England, nothing else.

/Marcus

varjag
Financial supporter

Post by varjag » 08 Jul 2004 12:34

The 'most successful' German attack on a British city struck Coventry on the night 14-15th November 1940. Units from the German pathfinder force, KG 100, led they way guided by the 'X-Gerät' radio-beams in Operation 'Mondschein Sonata' (Moonlight Sonata). From early evening until early morning some 500 German bombers unloaded about 500 tonnes of HE and firebombs on Coventry. 550 people died, 870 were wounded and something of the order 4300 buildings were destroyed or damaged. The terrible damage led the cocky Germans to coin a new term - 'to Coventerize' - meaning destroying a city. But everyone that sows a wind must harvest a storm....the British never forgot 'conventerize' and in the fullness of time invented their own version - 'hamburging'.

Hop

Post by Hop » 08 Jul 2004 13:36

The attacks got worse in early 1941, with the last major raid of the Blitz on the 10th May killing 1,450 people. There were several raids on London that winter that killed 1,000+.

DrG

Post by DrG » 08 Jul 2004 16:44

Just for info: from August 1940 to May 1941 the Luftwaffe dropped 52,172.6 t of bombs on UK. But the RAF was not passive, it dropped on Europe (not only, but mostly, Germany) 14,631 t of bombs in 1940 and 35,509 t in 1941.

Enkpitt

Post by Enkpitt » 08 Jul 2004 17:05

Topspeed wrote: He did say: " Alle Juden muss sterben !". Which more than anything explain the state of mental health of this person.
Topspeed wrote:Only because of the ruthless work of SS leader Eichmann were they ever able to murder so many jews as they did.
Topspeed wrote:Had they tried to kill finnish jews in Finland they would have made a big mistake.
Can you explain all of these, please?

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”