Third Reich bases in Antarctica?

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Horatio

Third Reich bases in Antarctica?

Post by Horatio » 24 Aug 2004, 22:48

As someone who occasionally browses UFO and conspiracy websites, I have noticed a surprisingly large number of "lunatic fringe" who talk about co-operation between the Nazis and aliens (!!!), and frequent references to a shared Nazi/ET base in Antarctica. Putting aside the 'little green men' element, is there any evidence at all (or even rumour) that the 3rd Reich could have had a covert base of operations in that area? Thanks!

redcoat

Re: Third Reich bases in Antarctica?

Post by redcoat » 25 Aug 2004, 00:32

Horatio wrote:As someone who occasionally browses UFO and conspiracy websites, I have noticed a surprisingly large number of "lunatic fringe" who talk about co-operation between the Nazis and aliens (!!!), and frequent references to a shared Nazi/ET base in Antarctica. Putting aside the 'little green men' element, is there any evidence at all (or even rumour) that the 3rd Reich could have had a covert base of operations in that area? Thanks!
Lots of rumour (lunatic fringe) :roll:
Actual authentic historical evidence, none :wink:

Volklin

Post by Volklin » 25 Aug 2004, 10:53

I don't know, the foo fighters, and the rumors of German saucer technology give some support to this.

redcoat

Post by redcoat » 25 Aug 2004, 22:10

Volklin wrote:I don't know, the foo fighters, and the rumors of German saucer technology give some support to this.
The only saucers used by the Germans in WW2 were those under their coffee cups. :roll: :lol:

Volklin

Post by Volklin » 26 Aug 2004, 09:53

We can't be judgemental, nor gullible. To much judgemental here, i'm not saying they didn't know about it, but never dismiss something like this. Especially with a few scant clues like the foo fighters, to this day many detailed accounts and descriptions a many have been given on them but still they remain a mystery without actual concrete facts. The saucer tech, i've seen too many sites with brief synopsis on the occult, saucers, how the nazis burned documents on their research on the peculiar strange tech....

HaEn
In memoriam

saucers

Post by HaEn » 30 Aug 2004, 15:51

redcoat wrote:
Volklin wrote:I don't know, the foo fighters, and the rumors of German saucer technology give some support to this.
The only saucers used by the Germans in WW2 were those under their coffee cups. :roll: :lol:
Hi Redcoat. As I mentioned in another thread. Look in ANY search engine, (like Google) and type in: "deutsche Flugscheiben". You might be amazed what you find.
And by the way, the R.A.F. as well as the USAF know about them and have been experimenting with it too.
HN

Horatio

Interesting, but.....

Post by Horatio » 31 Aug 2004, 20:49

As interesting and tantalising as these issues are, I guess no-one really knows anything more about a genuine Antarctic link to the Third Reich!

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 01 Sep 2004, 00:58

Horatio/Volklin

There is no smoke without fire, and we do best to disregard the negative contributions to this thread and look back to find out exactly why the idea of Nazi bases and flying objects in Antarctica became thought of as a possibility.

The German Schwabenland Expedition of 1938/39 staked out a large area of what is now Queen Maud Land. Two crew members of the expedition ship "Schwabenland" left statements in which they alleged that during 1939 they regularly ferried material to a small base which had been set up there.

No further concrete evidence exists until 1947. To examine what gave rise to the belief that the Nazis had in some way invested Antarctica, we must look at the character and personality of the man who made the allegation.

Rear Admiral Richard Byrd was a US Navy Antarctic explorer. He participated in the following polar expeditions:

Byrd Antarctic Expedition I 1928-30
Byrd Antarctic Expedition II 1933-35
US Antarctic Service 1939-41
USN Antarctic Expedition, "Operation High Jump" 1946-47
USN Operation Deep Freeze I 1955-56

At the time of his death in 1957, Byrd was Officer in charge, US Antarctic Programmes. In February that year he received on behalf of the US Defense Secretary the Medal of Freedom "in recognition of his outstanding accomplishments as Officer in charge US Antarctic Programmes, and for his humanitarian contribution to the world."

Melville Grosvenor, President and Editor, National Geographic Society stated in the obituary to Byrd (Nat Geogr Magazine, Vol CXII, July 1957 at page 36):

"No man in history contributed more to knoweledge of the Arctic and Antarctic than Byrd. His 1957 great scientific assault on Antarctica represent the culmination of his lifetime of work and leadership."

In 1946, Adm Byrd led the Antarctic Expedition known as Operation High Jump, equipped with 13 ships, six aircraft and 4,000 men, the biggest exploratory expedition ever organised. Amongst other things, its purpose was to study weather and the skies, to measure earth tremors andf magnetism, to investigate ions in the upper air. In short, it was a scientific fact-finding expedition.

At its conclusion, Adm Byrd returned to the United States during March 1947. In an interview with Lee van Atta published in "El Mercurio" of Santiago, Chile on 13 March 1947 under the heading "On board Mount Olympus on the High Seas" we have the following extraordinary statement:

"Admiral Byrd declared today that it was imperative for the US to initiate immediately defence measures against hostile regions. The Admiral further stated that he didn't want to frighten anyone unduly, but it was a bitter reality that in the course of a new war the continental US would be attacked by flying objects which could fly from pole to pole at incredible speeds." Admiral Byrd repeated the above points of view resulting from his personal knowledge before a news conference for International News Services.

If we look at the foregoing logically we deduce the following:

(1) Admiral Byrd said more than he should have. Nothing more about what he said, or what he saw, ever appeared in print subsequently.

(2) While he was at Antarctica, he saw FLYING a flying object capable of reaching, and which reached, an incredible speed. This flying object could not be described as an aircraft within the conventional meaning of the term.

(3) As regards this flying object, somebody said something to Adm Byrd which convinced him that the said object would be used by an enemy of the United States in a future war, and it is to be inferred that such an idea originated from a human source. There was a period of several hours during the expedition when Admiral Byrd lost contact due to engine problems with his aircraft. It is suspected that he might have been approached during this period.

(4) In a declassified USAF document circulated in 1947, US Air Intelligence stated its suspicion that certain flying objects reported that year were of human origin, and that a German design, the Horten Parabola flying boomerang, was suspected.

These are the circumstances which gave rise to the belief that a Nazi flying base might exist on Antarctica.

Volklin

Post by Volklin » 01 Sep 2004, 23:07

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/ed ... iscs.shtml

An excellent article on German saucers. Also talks about "New Berlin" in Antarctica.

HaEn
In memoriam

Antarctica

Post by HaEn » 02 Sep 2004, 23:32

And here is a quotation from Admiral Byrd of Feb 5 1956: "On Jnuary 13th, members of the U.S.expedition accomplished a flight of 2,700 miles from the base at McMurdoSound, which is 400 miles west of the south pole, and . . . . . . . .(here it comes) . . . . . .PENETRATED a land extent of 2,300 miles beyond the Pole . . .
Later, March, 13, 1956 he declared: " The present expedition has opened up a vast NEW territory". . . .

What is it that they discovered ? A hollow Earth afterall ???
"Are we entering the twilight zone ?".
and the plot thickens . . . HN

Grünherz

Third Reich in Antartica...

Post by Grünherz » 03 Sep 2004, 05:36

These rumors have existed since the end of the war. I think that they are just based on the Shwabenland expedition.
At the end of the war all kinds of rumors floated...Hitler in Argentina, Antartica, etc.
No, these are just stories/"history" based on amateur speculation. Don't you think that this would have come out by now due to the increased exploration of Antarctica in the past decades? I've been reading about this for, well, I hate to admit!). No, it ain't so.
Tom

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 03 Sep 2004, 15:21

TSCrawford

This was not "amateur speculation". You have to look at the quality of the man making the statement. Admiral Byrd was a highly honoured and very experienced Antarctic explorer. He would not have made the extraordinary claims and statements which he did without firm evidence. Without evidence he would have been dismissed. That is how it works.

Since Adm Byrd was not dismissed for stating what, to many observers including yourself, seems ludicrous, he must have had the evidence. They could not fire him, for if they did so he would have published. Adm Byrd said more than he should have about something he had seen, and the US Government shut him up, making what he knew into a State secret under the "Contrary to Public Policy or Defence" legislation.

Volklin

Post by Volklin » 03 Sep 2004, 21:08

We hear next to nothing about the German knowledge of Saucers and their technology because the U.S. and Soviets saw this wonder technology nabbing it for themselves in their own secret saucer experiments, and/or the German scientists most definitely tried their best to destroy the gem of their scientific career and the experiments of most highest priority to the Reich, more important than any rockets or any jets, but this "alien" technology received by visitors from above.

Galahad

re: flying saucers

Post by Galahad » 12 Sep 2004, 23:15

Here's a link to a site with pics of a genuine WW II flying saucer......the V-173 "Flying Flapjack".

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/usplanes/a ... apjack.htm

Vril

Post by Vril » 01 Jan 2005, 10:10

in the beginning of the year 2004, i was in contact with a man, who´s grandfather was on the mission "high jump" as a navy photographer.

he wrote to me that his Grandfather never speak about "ufo" or such things.
the men who came to dead in this mission, were killed by accident.
the Plane which go down has no passengers.

He has also an old photoalbum about , and want to scann it, as he has time...
but he hasn´t till now. :(

there are many roumors about the person "Byrd" and his "Daybook", the flight into the earth and such things....

Fact is:
Byrd was in Hamburg to show his films and speak about the arktic waether, and how to navigate with a plane in the ice for the "schwabenland - expedition".

V.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”