Toulon

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Spruance

Toulon

Post by Spruance » 02 Feb 2006 10:05

Preparing a new article about operation Lila and the loss of french fleet in Toulon (see map below), i'm searching informations about this fact :

Main french leaders, orders, what units were designed to enter Toulon (I have th Panzer and "Das Reich" )

THX a lot

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 03 Feb 2006 02:40

Nice map.

:)

Michael

Ron Klages
In memoriam

German Forces in Operation Lila

Post by Ron Klages » 08 Feb 2006 21:31

Spruance,

There is a 28 page excellent article to be found in the magazine AFTER THE BATTLE Number 76 that covers in great detail the events at Toulon and Operation Lilac with 62 photos and 5 maps. If you are not familiar with this magazine it is published in England and reprints are always available I have listed an address below with a distributor in New York that will have the magazine.

Here are the German units involved:
The primary participants were the 7. and 10. Panzer Division and SS "Das Reich" which were split into 4 Kampfgruppen as follows:

KAMPFGRUPPE A--Oberst Edgar Feuchtinger

• Panzergrenadier Regiment 69 [10.PD]
• 1. Abteilung of Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 90 [10.PD]
• 2. Kompanie of Panzer-Pionier-Bataillon 49 [10.PD]
• Panzerjäger-Abteilung 90 [10.PD]
• Gepanzertes Artillerie-Regiment 2
• Flak-Regiment 69
• commando unit from the Kriegsmarine of 30 men under the command of Kplt. Rudolf Damschen

The mission of this kampfgruppe was to advance from the west , capture the peninsula south of Toulon, the town of La Seyne, the fortresses of Napoléon and Six-Fours, and the Saint-Mandrier Peninsula which ontrol acess to the harbor.

KAMPFGRUPPE B--ObstLt. Wolfgang Gläsemer
• II. Bataillon of Panzergrenadier-Regiment 6 [7.PD]
• 8. Kompanie from Panzer-Regiment 25 [7.PD]
• Kradschützen-Bataillon 7 [7.PD]
• I. Abteilung from Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 78 [7.PD]
• 1. Kompanie from anzerjäger-Abteilung 42 [7.PD]
• Panzer-Pionier-Bataillon 58 [7.PD]

The mission of this kampfgruppe was to advance from the west along N8 to reach the heart of Toulon, occupy the arsenal and capture the fleet itself.

KAMPFGRUPPE C-- Obstlt. Friedrich-Karl von Steinkeller
• Panzergrenadier Regiment 7 [7.PD]
• III. Abteilung from Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 78 [7.PD]

The mission of this kampfgruppe was to advance from the west behind KG B to secure its rear and flanks and to capture the fortresses at Mont-Faron and Grand-Saint-Antoine and the barracks at Sainte-Anne.

KAMPFGRUPPE D--SS Sturmbannführer Jakob Fick
• SS Kradschuutzen-Bataillon "Das Reich"
• one SS flak battery
• one zug of SS panzerjäger
• one SS radio team

The mission of this kampfgruppe was to advance from the east along the N97 after having passed Toulon to the north. It was then to capture the radiostation at Le Mourillon, Fort Lamalgue and Le Mourillon Basin.

I addition to the above KGs, elements of SS Kampfgrippe Brenner under SS-brigadefuuhrer Karl-Heinrich Brenner were to advance behind KG A to occupy the Sanary area while further to the west, elements of the 335. Infanterie-Division, about a bataillon strong, were to secure the coast.

Finally the Luftwaffe used He 111s from KG 2 to mine the channels to the harbor and to attack and sink any French ships that managed to escape the harbor. Ju 88s from KG 54 and He 115s from KG 26 were on standby to alos attack any ships that left the harbor. Photo reconn. was also conducted by the Luftwaffe.

The Kriegsmarine was also to provide over 3000 sailors to man the captured French ships however it appears that only 400 sailors were actual participants in Operation Lila

Of all the ships in Toulon in November 1942- about 135 in all, only 2 destroyers and 4 submarines had been recovered by the French by 1945.

I recommend for far more detail the article in AFTER THE BATTLE.

Here is the web site http://www.rzm.com/main/main.cfm

Best regards,

Ron Klages

nimitz

Post by nimitz » 09 Feb 2006 08:28

Great!!!

Thanks a lot for your informations wich will a lot help me

jory

Post by jory » 27 Jul 2006 11:48

Bronsky

Post by Bronsky » 29 Jul 2006 13:23

Jean-Jacques Antier "Batailles Navales de la Seconde Guerre Mondiale" is still in print and available in various bookstores. There are a few chapters on Toulon. After the Battle is better for the German perspective, Antier is nice to have for what the French actors thought about it. At least that was my feeling, once I had overcome my distaste for his writing style.

cpa95

Post by cpa95 » 31 Jul 2006 22:06

Hi,

Toulon, a ship ( Colberta or Dupleix???) and a tank of the 7. PD:
http://forum.panzer-archiv.de/viewtopic ... c&start=60

Greetings
Thomas

tigre

Re: Toulon

Post by tigre » 23 Aug 2015 01:53

Hello to all :D; a little complement.................

Wrecks of the French Fleet in the harbour of Toulon.

Source: Foto Marine Kreuzer COLBERT in Hafen Toulon Wrack Frankreich Kriegsschiff 1943. ebay Auction.

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 23 Aug 2015 23:03

I read one of the German tanks rolled onto the dock and shot at a French warship which was traversing some artillery in its direction. Source is the Time-Life Books History of WW2 and there would be the actual source in the Sources page.

Shane6969

Post by Shane6969 » 17 Sep 2015 04:08

My Grandfather participated in this operation. He was a Panzergrenadier in the II. Battalion of Panzergrenadier-Regiment 6 [7.PD]

tigre

Post by tigre » 19 May 2023 19:51

Hello to all :D; a little complement.................

Wrecks of the French Fleet in the harbour of Toulon.

Source: https://www.aboutww2militaria.com/nl/be ... -1942.html.

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”