War On The Balaton Lake

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Edward L. Hsiao

War On The Balaton Lake

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 25 May 2019 05:52

Gentlemen,I don't know if its covered or not but I still need a reminder of what small vessels did the Hungarians and the Germans had to operate on Balaton Lake during 1944 and 1945. I know the Soviet Navy had many small war vessels already in action on the Balaton Lake. It was known that a number of Soviet vessels were destroyed by German panzers. Please review this little known battle on Balaton Lake for me. Thank you.

Edward L. Hsiao

Edward L. Hsiao

Re: War On The Balaton Lake

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 28 May 2019 20:40

Were there any German Linse explosive boat attacks on river boats on Balaton Lake during WWII?

Edward L. Hsiao

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 29 May 2019 19:02

"I know the Soviet Navy had many small war vessels already in action on the Balaton Lake."

I highly doubt it. Can you please provide some sources?

I come from a family who lived next to the Balaton lake in the past centuries, including the WW2. The winter of 1944/1945 was extremely harsh, and the lake was frozen. The whole country was occupied by 4th April 1945, so it is very unlikely that any maritime actions was worth of mentioning. But if you can prove me wrong, I would really appreciate it.

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 30 May 2019 05:08

Dear Peter89

I think you are right about that the Balaton lake was completely frozen during the rest of late WWII of 1944 and 1945,especially in the winter. I may have mistaken for another lake in Hungary that had a lake battle late in the war where Hungarian river forces and German naval forces battle against Soviet small war vessels. Thank you sincerely for your answer. There were no icebreakers at all at Balaton lake.

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 30 May 2019 16:21

I think that skirmish must have happened on the Danube river, where Hungary actually had a small river guard force.

lupodimare89

Post by lupodimare89 » 24 Mar 2020 16:44

Quite old topic but i have tried to research a bit on these themes the past year.
Despite various rumors and stories, it appears there was no direct riverine or lake's clash by opposing boats in the Hungarian area.
The claims of German monitori Bechelaren (ex-czech) on 20 April 1945 doesn't match with the Soviet descriptions, at beast it was a longer range shelling.

Real clashes apparently occurred only on the Yugoslavian front:
Between 11 - 12 March 1945, German assault crafts sunk a Yugoslavian-partisan riverine steamer named "Kastelac" and four barges
Between 25 - 26 March 1945, again German assault crafts attempted to attack Soviet monitors "Azov" and "Kerch" opeerating at Sarengrad. German claims of losses inflictes are apparently wrong, one "Linse" was damaged with few casualties by Soviet small BKA gunboats that were also operating in the river.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”