serafimovitch battle (july-august 1942)

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Alex Yeliseenko

Post by Alex Yeliseenko » 18 Jul 2006, 11:53

Aymeric wrote:Spasiba Alex !
you mean that the 124 and 63 RD went across the Don to help the 304 RD, which was the only RD to defend serafimovitch at the beginning ?

I think yes. You can tell where was PADA Celere on July, 30th? On what distance in kilometers from Serafimofich? In the north? In the south?

Tout est beaucoup embrouillé. Là, il y avait un grand mélange des troupes. L'Armée Rouge se défendait, en passant constamment aux arrivées.

De la chance!

Aymeric

Post by Aymeric » 18 Jul 2006, 14:37

The 30 july was the first day of action of the Celere against the Serafimovitch bridgehead. This day, the italian troops take the place of the german one at Belosoine and Belonemoukhine, in the south of the bridgehead. They launch attacks against Bobrovski, but the city remains in russian hands this day.

The city of Serafimovitch was occupied by germans and italians on 1st august, according to my sources.

oricchi

Post by oricchi » 19 Jul 2006, 13:13

I was absolutely amazed by looking at this post.
For aproximately two years I have surfed the web looking for Russian information on Serafimovich.
I was desperately looking for the name of the Russian tank brigade destroyed by the Celere.

...until I found an Italian source - the only one - that mentions the brigade number

there was an article published in the Italiian army review in 1983 mentioning the 652th tank battalion. This source refers also to the 304th, 124th and 63rd; exactly same divisions hilighted in the map as of the link http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/maps ... _ru/06.HTM

In the book by Charles Sharp on Soviet orde of battle in WWII at page 97 among the Don Front reserves it is mentioned a separate tank battalion numbered 652. A person I got in touch with (Sergei Patrunin) found that this unit was also in the Red Army OOB for August 1, 1942 for 21 Army - Stalingrad front.

Do you, folks, have the tank composition of this unit?

Ottavio

PS If you are looking for additional information I could pheraps let you have a few scanned pages ...strictly in Italian!

oricchi

Post by oricchi » 19 Jul 2006, 14:20

Some additional information on German units involved.

The same Italian source I mentioned above hints that Seramifovich was taken on 1st August with some support of German armor, my guess is that a few units of the 22nd panzer division might have been involved.

All Italian sources refer that the fighiting for the southern part of the bridghead lasted until aproximately the 15th of August. At some point (aproximately the 5th) it became involved the German 79th infantry division.
Eventually, the Celere division handled the Serafomivich area to the 79th division. At that point Russian units were present (west of the river Don) only in a wooded area close to the village of Bobrosky (I could get the name wrong).
Later on Russians managed to expand again the bridghead.

Ottavio

Alex Yeliseenko

Post by Alex Yeliseenko » 19 Jul 2006, 15:22

oricchi wrote:I was absolutely amazed by looking at this post.
For aproximately two years I have surfed the web looking for Russian information on Serafimovich.
I was desperately looking for the name of the Russian tank brigade destroyed by the Celere.

...until I found an Italian source - the only one - that mentions the brigade number

there was an article published in the Italiian army review in 1983 mentioning the 652th tank battalion. This source refers also to the 304th, 124th and 63rd; exactly same divisions hilighted in the map as of the link http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/maps ... _ru/06.HTM

In the book by Charles Sharp on Soviet orde of battle in WWII at page 97 among the Don Front reserves it is mentioned a separate tank battalion numbered 652. A person I got in touch with (Sergei Patrunin) found that this unit was also in the Red Army OOB for August 1, 1942 for 21 Army - Stalingrad front.

Ottavio

PS If you are looking for additional information I could pheraps let you have a few scanned pages ...strictly in Italian!
Hi, Ottavio

About, it is the valuable information!

I confirm, that the separate 652 tank battalion was a part of 21 Armies. It really was in area Serafimovich. Within the next few days I shall make translation of memoirs of the participant of fights - the Soviet tankman. A surprise - it does not remember any Italians and speaks, that fights were only with Germans.

Best regards from Siberia!

Aymeric

Post by Aymeric » 19 Jul 2006, 19:10

Grazie mille Ottavio ! I was looking for this tank unit number from the beginning of my search.
Could you send me scanned pages please ? my email adress is : [email protected]

oricchi

Post by oricchi » 20 Jul 2006, 14:58

I'm sending you a file with a map dating back to a book edited by the Italian army back in 1947.
This map in my opinion is much better than the one appearing in the book published in the year 2000.
I tried to post it here but I was not able.

Later on (next week) I will send to you the scanned text.
How much information do you need? as much detail as possible or it would be enough two-three pages with a general despcription of the Serafimovich battle?

Ottavio

Aymeric

Post by Aymeric » 20 Jul 2006, 15:56

As much information as possible is needed Ottavio. I'm writting an article for the french magazine "Batailles & Blindés".
Grazie per il tuo aiuto !
Last edited by Aymeric on 21 Jul 2006, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

Lupo Solitario

Post by Lupo Solitario » 21 Jul 2006, 09:23

I'd like to have the same stuff if possible...

thanks!

Lupo Solitario

Post by Lupo Solitario » 21 Jul 2006, 09:25

Alex Yeliseenko wrote:
oricchi wrote:I was absolutely amazed by looking at this post.

Ottavio

Hi, Ottavio

About, it is the valuable information!

I confirm, that the separate 652 tank battalion was a part of 21 Armies. It really was in area Serafimovich. Within the next few days I shall make translation of memoirs of the participant of fights - the Soviet tankman. A surprise - it does not remember any Italians and speaks, that fights were only with Germans.

not so strange Alex...I found more than time war reports where witnesses had no idea about whom they were actually fighting

Alex Yeliseenko

Post by Alex Yeliseenko » 21 Jul 2006, 13:35

Here the promised fragment of memoirs. Translation bad, I regret for it. There will be questions - ask.

The end of July, 1942. Fascists are torn to Stalingrade. The city the Kalach on Don has fallen. The fierce fights go in area Kletskaja-Serafimovich.
In the morning on July, 29th, 1942 our 652-nd separate tank battalion have engaged to action on approaches to the city of Serafimovich. During attack the tank of second lieutenant Vlasenko has damaged. Being the assistant to the commander tank company on technical, I with crew have begun to restore it.
To the middle of day our armies send on surburb of city. We borrowed by restoration of the tank, have not noticed it and have remained in rear with fascists. Only when on the tank fascists from city have started to shoot, we have understood our position.
Three-day struggle has begun with this moment both for the tank, and for a life of crew. Germans attacked us almost continuously. We had complete set of an ammunition, the down, two machine guns, six automatic devices. We tried to not admit close Germans, but it was necessary to apply and granates. Have passed day.
For the second day of attack of Germans have renewed, it was necessary to save an ammunition which in the first day we did not regret in the heat of fight.
In the street there was a forty-degree heat. The powder smoke which fans had not time to suck away, got in eyes, a throat, sweat from the person rolled a hailstones.
In the end of the second day I in one of respites casually managed to grope work of radio station артполка a shooting division which was supported with our battalion. I have contacted command and began to correct fire on the enemy. The tank was on the raised district, all was well looked through around. In turn fascists have marked work of our portable radio set and have strengthened attack, tried to destroy by bombing the tank from air. But in the single tank to get hardly, especially we were shot from two machine guns, having established them in the hatch of a tower as antiaircraft. In one of attacks of Germans we have lost two comrades.
By the morning on August, 1st we managed to restore the tank, but we have not risked to break to the day. Nights have decided to wait, continuing to correct fire of our artillery, and occasionally, saving shells to be shot. Hours per ten mornings our tanks have broken through defense of the opponent, and we with them have taken part in attack. With them also have returned to an arrangement of the battalion where already were considered as victims. Here we have learned about the order of Supreme commander in chief 227 from July, 28th, 1942 “ to a step back ” which we have executed, not knowing about it.
For these three day we have destroyed two tanks, one armored troop-carrier, one plane, about two hundred fascists. I was награжден an award of the Red Banner, and other members of crew - awards of the Red Star.
21 armies in structure of which our battalion was at war, the jumping-off place on right was possible to keep protect Don. From here approach on rout of a fascist grouping under Stalingrade on November, 19th, 1942 has begun. To us was pleasant to understand, that in deduction of this jumping-off place there was also our small share.

Nikolay Karin
The engineer-lieutenant colonel in resignation.
Best regards!

oricchi

Post by oricchi » 21 Jul 2006, 16:07

Alex,
nice story, although I see no mention is made to Italians.
What I got from this text, however, is that the Russian testimony was working with a tank repair unit and did not personally took part to the fighting. Am'I wrong?
Does you source mention anywhere "soldat kurke". Apparently Russians gave this name to Bersaglieri because of their hat (decorated with capercaillie feathers)?

Lupo,
judging from your past posts I thought you had already almost every possible informaiton on the Italian army!
Anyway, I will be pleased to send you the information I have.

Ottavio

Alex Yeliseenko

Post by Alex Yeliseenko » 21 Jul 2006, 16:54

oricchi wrote:Alex,
nice story, although I see no mention is made to Italians.
What I got from this text, however, is that the Russian testimony was working with a tank repair unit and did not personally took part to the fighting. Am'I wrong?
Does you source mention anywhere "soldat kurke". Apparently Russians gave this name to Bersaglieri because of their hat (decorated with capercaillie feathers)?

Lupo,
judging from your past posts I thought you had already almost every possible informaiton on the Italian army!
Anyway, I will be pleased to send you the information I have.

Ottavio
Hi,

1. It is the unique story known to me in Russian about battle under Serafimovich. This crew repair the tank and simultaneously beat off attacks of the opponent. Other tanks 652 stb attacked the opponent. 652 separated tank batalion has not been broken in these fights. For August, 11th, 1942 it had 7 tanks ready to fight. The battalion at this time did not receive new tanks.

2. Me interests Italian armour. Especially in battles on East front. Especially participation in fights tank L6|40 and semoventi. But I cannot find the exact information on the reasons of their losses anywhere.

3. Soldat kurke. Is not present in Russia so could not name. But soldiers of the hen, a bird " (kuritsa, курица) - from for a hat decorated by feathers of a wood-grouse could name ". But I do not think, that it was wide. Just as Germans named "Hans", "Nemchura".

Aymeric

Post by Aymeric » 21 Jul 2006, 19:27

Thank you Alex for the testimony.

About the number of tanks, the 652° batallion had 30 tanks at the beginning of the battle, and 7 at the end, is that right ?

Alex Yeliseenko

Post by Alex Yeliseenko » 21 Jul 2006, 20:13

Aymeric wrote:Thank you Alex for the testimony.

About the number of tanks, the 652° batallion had 30 tanks at the beginning of the battle, and 7 at the end, is that right ?

Hi,

The battalion had 7 tanks for August, 11th. Staff of a battalion - 30 tanks. But on July, 30th and on August, 1st 30 tanks in a battalion could and to not be. Could be and less. June-July, 1942 - time of crisis, Red army recedes. Losses are huge. In Serafimovich the battalion and where was less tanks could come.

Best regards!

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”