Battle of Sovkhoz «Red Star» (Sovkhoz 79)

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Jan-Hendrik

Re: Battle of Sovkhoz «Red Star» (Sovkhoz 79)

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 23 Jun 2011 10:09

I don't know about this Stolfi-Guy, but 336.ID was raised in Wehrkreis VI. But you have still not ehanced your knowledge on german armed forces, their system of recruitment, their besic unit system etc.

Jan-Hendrik

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 23 Jun 2011 22:19

This is Stolfi:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitlers-Panzers ... 822&sr=8-2

An interesting book which polarises opinion. Personally, I don't agree with his hypothesis...

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 22 Jul 2011 22:13

In the end of January of this year on suburb Surovikino from a river bed Dobraya tank T-34 is lifted.
On preliminary data this tank belonged to 5th mechanised corps and has been shot down on December, 12th, 1942.
The tank regiments of 5th mechanised corps had on arms the English tanks MK-2 and МК-3.
The prospecting battalion had seven tanks T-70.
Management company of a staff of 5th mechanised corps was available two tanks T-34. Apparently, it is one of these two tanks
Process of lifting of the tank it is possible to look here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 22 Jul 2011 22:58

The spring of this year near Oblivskaya had been found a burial place of the Soviet soldiers. In a tomb remains near 20 persons, are piled about a heap. The part of these remains did not have heads as in a burial place there were no remains of footwear and belts. It specifies in that that, killed were Soviet POWs.
In Oblivskaya there was a camp of POWs where on November, 20th, 1942 there were near 5000 persons.
Germans have forced these POWs to dig an anti-tank ditch, thus works did not stop even at artillery and air bombardments.
For intimidation POWs Germans executed not the obedient. Under data available in documents from these 5000 it has been killed and has died of hunger in December, 1942 to 2000 persons.
Anti-tank ditch which was dug by POWs, it is possible to see and today, are lengthways expensive Oblivsky-Frolov (on borders of sectors of defence II and III battalions of 99th antiaircraft regiment).
To a regret when I was in this anti-tank ditch in my camera has ended a charge of the battery and I could not photograph it

In August, 1944 the commander of battle group Shtahel - colonel Shtahe (in 1944 lt. general) has been captured near Bucharest and condemned as the military criminal - has died in prison in 1955

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 11 Aug 2011 22:37

Luftwaffen-Feld-Division 8
Luftwaffen-Feld-Division 8

The core of the division was formed from Flieger Regiment 42 on 29 October 1942 and they began training at Mlawa in East Prussia immediately. The commander was Luftwaffe Oberst Hans Heidemeyer who would lead the division until 1 January 1943.

Initially it was intended to have two Jäger-Regiments assigned but this did not occur because they were committed so rapidly to the front. As a result they had only four battalions and no stab of Jägers. The division was assigned a Panzerjäger-Abteilung with 3 kompanies as well as a Flak-Abteilung with 3 batteries. The Artillerie-Abteilung contained two batteries of 7.5cm mountain guns(t) and a batterie of four StuG IIIs. There was also a Pionier-Kompanie, a Nachrichten-Kompanie and supply/support detachment.

They received only rudimentary training before they were shipped off the HG “Don” in late November/early December 1942. They were assigned to the XVII Armee-Korps and this was used to form Armeeabteilung Hollidt in the Donbogen.

When the division arrived in Russia they were assigned some forward elements of Luftwaffe troops under the command of Oberst Rainer Stahel. Kampfgruppe Stahel had been hastily formed by the Germans from rear area Luftwaffe personnel soon after the German forces were surrounded at the Stalingrad Kessel. The had originally been intended for Luftwaffen-Feld-Division 15 but as soon as Luftwaffen-Feld-Division 8 arrived at the end of December they were assigned to them. KG Stahel was listed as art of the (L) FD 8 on 18 December 1942 although they continued to operate independent of the division.

Upon arrival in the town of MOROZOVSK they detrained and then marched to the town of NIZHNE CHIRSKAYA. As they proceeded across the snow covered steppe towards Stalingrad expecting to come upon retreating German forces but instead they ran headlong into a Soviet pincers and they were scattered in a matter of hours. They then established a collection point at NIZHNE CHIRSKAYA near the confluence of the Don River and the Chir River. The Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung had been leading the march and when only 12 men of the advanced elements of the division returned the commander of the PJA committed suicide.

The division was posted by the Zymlya River sector between the Chir River and the Don River near SOLONEZKI and here they suffered heavy losses due to relentless attacks from the Soviet 5.Armee and again the division was forced to the rear. By late December the division had established defensive positions in and around the city of TATSINSKAYA [TATSINSKIY]. Here they remained from 1 January 1943 until 14 January 1943. They were able to hold in this area since other German units had arrived including the 19. Panzer-Division, 3. Gibirgs-Division, the 7. Panzer-Division and the 304. Infantry-Division and Luftwaffen-Feld-Division 15.

By this time the division had reduced it’s Jäger Bataillons from four to two and the Panzer-Jäger Abteilung was nearly gone at this point. The Soviets took the town on 14 January and the division again withdrew towards the west to KAMENEW area 45 kilometers to the west. The Germans maintained a defensive position in this area and the (L) FD 8 was in this position from 18 January 1943 till 9 February 1943. The division was now remnants and it continued to move west via SADKOWSKO-ASTACHOWA-BERESTOWKA arriving on 17 February 1943. They remained in the Mius River position into March and the remnants were initially assigned to the III. Armee-Korps and the 1. Panzer-Armee By the end of March the few survivors were absorbed into the Luftwaffen-Feld-Division 15.

Having existed only a few months, the division gained the reputation as one of the worst units every established by the Luftwaffe.

From 1 January 1943 to 15 February 1943 Kurt Hähling was the commander and then from 15 February 1943 till dissolution Gen.Lt. Willibald Spang was the commander. I should also not that Kampfgruppe Stahel continued to operate as an independent force and by the end of January 1943 it had moved to the area of the 8. Italian Armee. Oberst Rainer Stahel would eventually reach the rank of General and in July 1944 he was assigned by Hitler to be the Kampf-Kommandant Warsaw. During the Polish Home Army rising he and his staff spent the entire siege trapped in his headquarters. He was also known as the defender of Vilnius, Lithuania for his defense of the city in the summer of 1944.

Sources:

Göring's Grenadiers by Antonio Munoz
Tessin
Die Deutschen Divisionen Band 2 by Schmitz et.al.
The German Order of Battle by George F. Nafziger
Sturmgeschütz III and Its Variants by Walter Spielberger

Something about that as has been destroyed this a battalion of 8th aviafield division.

This Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung has been destroyed very exotically: specially organised night attack.
Affair was so. Scouts of 10th prospecting battalion of 1st tank corps conducted supervision over the opponent from an observation point which was ahead of positions of 44th motor-rifle brigade. On an outcome of day scouts have seen, that is direct on them the big column of Germans moves.
In beginning scouts have decided to admit an enemy column as it is possible more close and to open fire at a short distance. However, not reaching the scout of 100-150 m, it is a column has stopped, and Germans began to place tents and to make a supper. These Germans obviously did not know that have settled down on a lodging for the night on a neutral strip.
The commander of prospecting group has sent the message on it.
The commander of 1st tank corps has ordered to organise an attack at night.
The special group in physically strong 100 fighters (from structure of 10th prospecting battalion and 44th motor-rifle brigade) has been for this purpose generated. Fighters of this group have been armed by automatic machines, pomegranates and knifes.
Having waited when Germans will fall asleep, three pairs scouts have silently cleaned sentries and group has surrounded the sleeping opponent from three parties. In beginning fighters have thrown pomegranates, and then inspire fire from automatic machines. Those who tried to be rescued flight finished knifes.
Very few people managed to be rescued, in captivity took staff-feldwebel.

ATH

Post by ATH » 28 Sep 2011 16:15

Interesting stories Yuri, thank you!

On my part, I've come to somewhat of a dead end here trying to find what happened to Alarm battalion Stalino I and Charkow I specifically. They were under Gruppe Selle/Kortner which was defending along a hotspot between Surovikino and Lissinskij exactely where the Soviet would establish their Ostrovskij bridgehead from which they would lauch their attack on Sovkhoz 79.

First, Army and Army Group reports list Stalino I and Charkow I with group Kortner/Selle as late as 5 December. But on the 12th December the Kriegsgliederung of Gruppe v.Stumpfeld lists Gr.Selle with two different Abteilungen: Abt.v.Buddenbrock (Panzer-Verband 700) and Abt.Bengert (Pz.Art.Rgt.4 / 14.Pz.Div.). It gets complicated when on a map dated 29 november (IIRC – as it is written Kortner - 500 men), Group Korntner is shown with Abt.Bengert and Abt.Hedemann. However, the exact position and strenght for the companies are shown too. So we can see that Hedemann controlled the 3 companies of Stalino I, meaning Abt.Hedemann is more than likely A-Btl.Stalino I. Abt.Bengert is shown with 2 le.F.H. Batteries (8 guns) and a company of 1 officer and 170 men, as well as a light flak platoon. There is also a Lw. Jäger kompanie (from 9 Flak division) in Lissinskij. Abt.Bengert is placed at the border with Gr.Schmidt, Hedemann just southeast, while the Lw company is at the border with Gr.Erdmann. Yuri mentioned Abt.Hedemann in one of his post:
1. «THE ORDER No 1 from 24/11/42 commanders of battle group SCHMIDT on occupation of defense Surovikino» - allows to establish number of batallions in group of colonel Schmidt, and as surnames and ranks of commanders of these batallions.
- on east site: ober-lieutenant KAMENBERG's battalion group
- on northern site: captain SCHTILLER's battalion group
- on a western site: captain KARGER's battalion group
- on a southeast site: major GEDEMAN's battalion group
- on a southwest site/NIZHNE-KALINOVKA/: captain SCHONE's battalion group
-on northeast ahead taking place position: of captain REIBSCHTEIN's battalion group
Continuing with another situation map, but now dated 4.12.42. Again, you can see the position of each companies with their strenght. A difference is that it doesn't reveal the Abteilung commanders' names, but instead shows all the company commanders' names. Here's the list:
-Schulze 40 men (no idea which unit he's coming from, maybe the same as Shulte-Nentreg, from stab Pz.A.R.16)
-Palm 115 men, 2 x 8,8 flak (commander 2.kp of 36. Estn. Batallion)
-Neumann 100 men (from 24.Pz.Div)
-Kieweg 55 men (?)
-Hoyer 113 men (?)
-Molinaris 80 men (?)
-Haigis 70 men (?)
Which ones are part of Bengert, which ones are in Stalino I, where is Charkow I?
On the same day, a Rum.AOK.3 Gliederung shows Gr.Selle having 2500 men total with 270 in Stalino I and 550 in Charkow I...

Then from one last document from 11.Pz.Div (which Gr.Selle was subordinated to) dated 14.12.42, it list the companies and every single units individual soldiers came from (one man from that unit, 6 men from that different unit, etc.) Here's the list:
-Stab Selle
-Stab Hptm.Bengert (always been there)
-1./Res.Flak-Abt.236 (new)
-Kp.Neumann (same)
-Kp.Schulte-Nentreg (new, or same as Schulze)
-Abschnitt von Buddenbrock (same as Abt.v.Buddenbrock on Gr.Stumpfeld Kr.Gliederung 12.12.42)
-Kp.Moser (new – doesn't say where it comes from)
-Estn.Kp. (same as Palm)
Total strenght is 22/77/301 = 400 men – The Kr.Gliederung from 2 days before lists it at 286 men.

So there's obviously no more of both alarm battalions, disbanded, the remaining members distributed in other units. It seems to be confirmed when you take a look at the composition of Kp.Neumann:
-19 men from 24.Pz.Div.
-1 man from 16.Pz.Div.
-39 men from Heeresartillerie
-8 men from Btl. Charkow
-6 men from Btl. Stalino

-1 man from rum. 1.Div. 6.Kp. 5.Jg.Rgt.
-1 man from 170.I.D.
-6 men from 71.I.D.
-1 man from Armee-Prüfstelle 40

So.. I can see what could have happened to Stalino I, being at the junction of Lw.Rgt.7 on December 7 1942 when you see what happened to the latter (Though that's still conjecture). But what about Charkow I?!?!!! Every Gliederung from Army and higher lists it with Gr.Selle, but there's no mention of it anywhere on operational maps or in lower level reports!

ATH

Post by ATH » 28 Sep 2011 21:26

There is also a document from 3.Rum Armee dated 28.11.42 showing Regiment Gruppe Korntner as having A-Btl Stalino I and Charkow I with a total of 700 men. On that document, Stalino was handwritten below Charkow I and the total has been overwritten from 500 to 700... maybe because it was transferred from Brigade Gruppe Schmidt around that day?

BTW, here is the iststärke of both A-Btl:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Arensburger

Post by Arensburger » 29 Sep 2011 17:04

ATH wrote:Interesting stories Yuri, thank you!

Then from one last document from 11.Pz.Div (which Gr.Selle was subordinated to) dated 14.12.42, it list the companies and every single units individual soldiers came from (one man from that unit, 6 men from that different unit, etc.) Here's the list:
-Stab Selle
-Stab Hptm.Bengert (always been there)
-1./Res.Flak-Abt.236 (new)
-Kp.Neumann (same)
-Kp.Schulte-Nentreg (new, or same as Schulze)
-Abschnitt von Buddenbrock (same as Abt.v.Buddenbrock on Gr.Stumpfeld Kr.Gliederung 12.12.42)
-Kp.Moser (new – doesn't say where it comes from)
-Estn.Kp. (same as Palm)
Total strenght is 22/77/301 = 400 men – The Kr.Gliederung from 2 days before lists it at 286 men.
Estonian comany "same as Palm" - Because Lieutenant Karl-Alfred Palm was badly wounded in the battle of 7.dets. and died in hospital 12.12.1942. New commander of this company was Lieutenant Elmar Lipping. (later Waffen-Haupsturmführer and commander of 45/I [until March 1945])

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 30 Sep 2011 01:33

ATH wrote:But what about Charkow I?!?!!! Every Gliederung from Army and higher lists it with Gr.Selle, but there's no mention of it anywhere on operational maps or in lower level reports!
The battalion Kharkov I operated in group Selle only two days with 30 till 1.12.42 in area a balka Golaya - height 129.0 (these days are available PoWs from this battalion which messages will well be co-ordinated with your documents).
From 2.12.42 a battalion Kharkov I in group Weicke (see the document on structure of this group).
6.12.42 1./Pz.Abt.301 (ober-lt Abendrott) and an infantry battalion from group Weicke are thrown on a site 336 ID in area balka Derbentsev, to west from Lisinsky (proves to be true trophy documents).
7.12.42 on a site of group Selle operated not 1./ Pz. Abt., as I assumed earlier, and group of tanks which has arrived from Tormosin where there was a repair base.
Crews of tanks from Tormosin are completed from 168th repair shops and Pz. Jg. Abt. 376. The last has arrived in Tormosin from 376ID for reception of the restored technics and, thus, have appeared outside of an environment. Therefore it is necessary to enter respective alterations in my schemes.
If to assume, that with ober-lt Abendrott ‘ s panzer company from group Weike has been thrown battalion Kharkov I becomes clear why in German documents of low level there are no data on this battalion.
Though formally battalion Kharkov I as a part of group Selle, however the actual operated on a site of this group only two days. From the battle report of commander 117 TBr follows, that 7.12.42 after capture of state farm 79 this brigade has led approach on road on Nizhne-Chirskaya. The commander 117 TBr informs, that the brigade has disseminated and has destroyed nine battalions of the opponent.
If on a site 336 ID together with 1./Pz.Abt.301 has been thrown battalion Kharkov I the movement route 117TBr passes through the location of this battalion.

ATH

Post by ATH » 30 Sep 2011 17:53

Thank you guys for your replies!

I found something. The Stab of Charkow I and two companies were with Gr.Selle, while the two other companies (+ one platoon of one of the other companies) were with Gr.Weicke.

1./301 was definitely east of point 148.3, west of Lissinskij on 6.12.42. We could conjecture that 1./301 was actually operating with battalion Charkow I (The Stab + 2 companies)... As you can see from the ist starke document I posted, Charkow I was partly motorized, so maybe the mobile parts of the alarm battalion were joined with 1./301 as a mobile kampfgruppe... :idea: All the while, the parts of the battalion that were not motorized stayed in Gr.Weike. To support this, Order No 42 says that an Abteilung would support the company in close cooperation.

In Gr.Selle, we have Abschnitt von Buddenbruck which, on the 14.12.42, had 102 men all from Pz.Verband 700. I find it interesting because of that thread: http://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8108 . So we can probably say that those were the personnel of a tank company of Pz.Verband 700, but how did they end up there, and from where? 14,Pz.Div? Who is that von Buddenbruck? Hptm Bengert was from 14.Pz.Div. as well.

I'll try to find something on that 376.Pz.Jg.Abt. group. We're probably talking about a number of StuG back from repair no? Or maybe the group from panzer verband 700 had some tanks!!! On the equipment report from 14.12.42, it is written that Gr.Selle had 2 x Kw.K 2cm (light tank gun used in Pz.II), but doesn't say that it had tanks in the vehicle list. No matter what, the Germans did not mention anything on that group (well, for their reports they would fall under the urlaubers annd gefangene class).

By the way, on a 6.12.42 situation map by 336.I.D. (for order No 42), Gr.Selle is shown with two abteilungen in its sector, vB (von Buddenbruck), and artillery abteilung IV (from 336ID). 8., 9., 10. batteries were all supporting Lw.Rgt.7 while 7. battery was supporting GR685. That would leave 11.battery with abt. HQ. No Bengert or Hedemann...

ATH

Post by ATH » 30 Sep 2011 18:29

Oh, found something else corroborating the Panzer II Hypothesis: On the 2nd part of a Group Stumpfeld Gliederung dated 3.12.42, it says that with Gr.Schmidt (At the time, Weicke was not listed as a group and Pz.Abt.301 was under Gr.Schmidt command, as well as 36. Estn. Batallion), there were 3 Panzer IIs ! They were not part of 1./301 which had 11 working Panzer III (5 l., 6 k.) and 28 Goliaths. Gr.Schmidt was listed as 2800 men.

I posted a document earlier in the thread which had this to say about group Schmidt and Selle:
Bei Schmidt:
Teile Pz. Rgt. 36. –
3. u. 4. Flak 38. –
3. Flak 147 -
¾ 4. Flak 774. –
A Alarmkomp. Tschir. –
Teile Pz. Jg. 113. –
Teile Werkstatt Kp. 194. –
Teile Inst. Komp. 168. –
Teile Abschnittszug 750. –
u. Armee – Gerätepark 661.
1. u. 3. Feldzeugstab. –
1. Wach. Btl. 541. –
Pi. Rgt. Stab 520. –
Front Btl. 36 Estnische Schutzmannschaft. –
Urlauber u. Genesene. –

Bei Selle:
Teile Sonderstab Senger. –
Teile Nachschubführer 9. Flak. Div. –
Pi. Rgts.-Stab 605. –
Teile 24. Pz. Div. –
There is a "Teile Pz. Jg. 113.", but no 376

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 30 Sep 2011 20:21

ATH wrote:
I posted a document earlier in the thread which had this to say about group Schmidt and Selle:
Bei Schmidt:
Teile Pz. Rgt. 36. –
3. u. 4. Flak 38. –
3. Flak 147 -
¾ 4. Flak 774. –
A Alarmkomp. Tschir. –
Teile Pz. Jg. 113. –
Teile Inst. Komp. 168. –
1. u. 3. Feldzeugstab. –
1. Wach. Btl. 541. –
Pi. Rgt. Stab 520. –
Urlauber u. Genesene. –

Bei Selle:
Pi. Rgts.-Stab 605. –
Teile 24. Pz. Div. –
There is a "Teile Pz. Jg. 113.", but no 376
There is a report 3./147 Res. Flk. Abt. about actions of this battery for November-December 1942.
There it is told, that the battery operated in area Nizhne-Chirsky in structure battle groups "Chekel" and «Mikosh».
Besides, are available daily (from 21.11 till 25.12.) radiogramms of batteries of 9th antiaircraft division about land conditions outside of an environment. Radiogramms went directly to a staff of 1st antiaircraft corps. I can not remember, that in these radiogramms something was mentioned actions 3./147 in area Surovikino.

7.12.42 on a site 333SD 13 tanks of the opponent are shot down, including 6 tanks have been shot down by means of this division. Drivers of tanks from 168th field workshop, and other members of crews from Pz. Jg. Abt. 376 (proves to be true documents of the killed tankmen).
According to a staff 333SD before front of approach of a division 15-20 tanks of the opponent operated. Hence there were 40-50 persons from Pz.Jg.Abt.376. Probably them did not allocate in independent unit, and were considered as a part of 168th field workshop?

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 03 Oct 2011 18:54

Fragment of a the battle (working) map of a staff of 333rd shooting division from December, 7th 1942.
On a map is specified the site 1./301PzAb&Abt-Kharkov I - in the Derbentsev's gully (between height 156.0 and height 148.3)
The information is received from: "Kolesnikov - fulfilling duties of the commander of 28th Guards cavalry regiment. The guards lieutenant - commander of a cavalry platoon"

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 03 Oct 2011 19:54

ATH wrote: I posted a document earlier in the thread which had this to say about group Schmidt and Selle:
Bei Schmidt:
Teile Pz. Rgt. 36. –
3. u. 4. Flak 38. –
3. Flak 147 -
¾ 4. Flak 774. –
A Alarmkomp. Tschir. –
Teile Pz. Jg. 113. –
Teile Inst. Komp. 168. –
1. u. 3. Feldzeugstab. –
1. Wach. Btl. 541. –
Pi. Rgt. Stab 520. –
Urlauber u. Genesene. –

Bei Selle:
Pi. Rgts.-Stab 605. –
Teile 24. Pz. Div. –
Teile 24. Pz. Div. –
It is 1st company a shooting regiment of 24th tank division.
Company it has been cut off from the basic forces of a division near Kalatch.
Has departed on Chir to Surovikino where it has been subordinated to battle group of colonel Selle.
At a withdrawal on Chir had 16 armoured troop-carriers, 8-10 20 mm guns and to 16 manual machine guns, numerical structure nearby 280 man.
During the period from December, 2 till December, 6th around height 129.0 (it is a site Gr.Selle) from this company six man were taken prisoner

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 06 Oct 2011 02:08

ATH wrote: I posted a document earlier in the thread which had this to say about group Schmidt and Selle:
Bei Schmidt:
Teile Pz. Rgt. 36. –
3. u. 4. Flak 38. –
3. Flak 147 -
¾ 4. Flak 774. –
A Alarmkomp. Tschir. –
Teile Pz. Jg. 113. –
Teile Inst. Komp. 168. –
1. u. 3. Feldzeugstab. –
1. Wach. Btl. 541. –
Pi. Rgt. Stab 520. –
Urlauber u. Genesene. –

Bei Selle:
Pi. Rgts.-Stab 605. –
Teile 24. Pz. Div. –
21.11.42 to Surovikino there has arrived a railway echelon with special chemical troop (sonder Abteilung) from city Zelle (the centre of preparation of chemical troops of Army). This Sonder Abteilung intended for performance of tasks in Stalingrad. In connection with change conditions has been transferred in the battle group of colonel Schmidt, and then colonel Selle.
PoWs from this sonder Abteilung are grasped on a site of colonel Selle.
There can be it is Sonderstab Senger?

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”