Battle of Sovkhoz «Red Star» (Sovkhoz 79)

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
ATH

Re: Battle of Sovkhoz «Red Star» (Sovkhoz 79)

Post by ATH » 07 Oct 2011, 00:17

Yuri wrote: Teile 24. Pz. Div. –
It is 1st company a shooting regiment of 24th tank division.
Company it has been cut off from the basic forces of a division near Kalatch.
Has departed on Chir to Surovikino where it has been subordinated to battle group of colonel Selle.
At a withdrawal on Chir had 16 armoured troop-carriers, 8-10 20 mm guns and to 16 manual machine guns, numerical structure nearby 280 man.
During the period from December, 2 till December, 6th around height 129.0 (it is a site Gr.Selle) from this company six man were taken prisoner
Could be Schwadron Overbeck.
When Gr.Stumpfeld was absorbed by 336 ID, two elements were excluded: Kp.v.Alvensleben - 29ID(mot) - and Schwadron Overbeck - 24PzD - which were, along with 11 PzD, sent towards Tatsinskaja.

ATH

Post by ATH » 10 Oct 2011, 11:42

Yuri wrote:
ATH wrote: I posted a document earlier in the thread which had this to say about group Schmidt and Selle:
Bei Schmidt:
Teile Pz. Rgt. 36. –
3. u. 4. Flak 38. –
3. Flak 147 -
¾ 4. Flak 774. –
A Alarmkomp. Tschir. –
Teile Pz. Jg. 113. –
Teile Werkstatt Kp. 194. –
Teile Inst. Komp. 168. -
Teile Abschnittszug 750. –
u. Armee – Gerätepark 661.
1. u. 3. Feldzeugstab. –
1. Wach. Btl. 541. –
Pi. Rgt. Stab 520. –
Front Btl. 36 Estnische Schutzmannschaft. –
Urlauber u. Genesene. –

Bei Selle:
Teile Sonderstab Senger. –
Teile Nachschubführer 9. Flak. Div. –
Pi. Rgts.-Stab 605. –
Teile 24. Pz. Div. –
Translation from German

Structure of group WEIKE

a/ 541 guard battalion:
7 officers
2 officials
82 corporals
467 soldiers
Hi Yuri,

Wach-Bataillon 541 seems to be another hard nut to crack. The only element I have found from it is 1./W.-Btl.541, but impossible to find anything about the rest. Actually, it's almost impossible to find any info on the unit. From what we know, we can deduce that the battalion was probably the guard unit for AOK.6 trapped in Stalingrad. But are you sure the whole battalion was aloong the Chir? Or it might have been park units of 6th Army... The only info I can find from the net is that Wach.-Btl.541 was the basis for the creation of Nachschub-Btl.541 (#2) on the reformation of AOK.6.

ATH

Post by ATH » 11 Oct 2011, 00:51

Some details on Morosowskaja II and III:
Rum.AOK.3 Ia - H.Qu., den 3.12.1942

Betr: Unterstellung der Btl. Mo.II und Mo.III.

Der Gruppe von Stumpfeld werden unterstellt:
1.) Btl.Morosowskaja II zum Einsatz im linken Abschnitt. Zuführung nach Nowo Derbenowskij. Btl. ist von dort heranzuziehen.
Btl. tritt hierzu sofort an und erreicht auch im Nachtmarsch das befohlene Ziel.
Marschweg: SSiwoloboff, Tschernyschkow, südl. des Tschir bis Ssinjatkin, Nowo Derbenowskij.
2.)Btl.Morosowskaja III zum Einsatz bei Gruppe Adam. Zuführung nach Nish.Tschirskaja. Meldung bei Oberst Adam. Abfahrt mit Lkw. in Morosowskaja 4.12 6.00 Uhr nach Anordnung Major von Klein.
3.) Pak-Zug XXXX (4 - 3,7cm Pak) wird nach Werchne Ssolonowskij zugeführt.

Für das Rum.AOK.3
Der deutsche Schef des Generalstabes.
/Signature/
So Moro.II leaves Sivolobov by night for Novo Derbenovskij on 3.12.42 and Moro.III leaves Morozovskaja for Nizhne Chirskaja on the morning of 4.12.42.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 11 Oct 2011, 04:06

ATH wrote:Some details on Morosowskaja II and III:
Rum.AOK.3 Ia - H.Qu., den 3.12.1942

Betr: Unterstellung der Btl. Mo.II und Mo.III.

Der Gruppe von Stumpfeld werden unterstellt:
1.) Btl.Morosowskaja II zum Einsatz im linken Abschnitt. Zuführung nach Nowo Derbenowskij. Btl. ist von dort heranzuziehen.
Btl. tritt hierzu sofort an und erreicht auch im Nachtmarsch das befohlene Ziel.
Marschweg: SSiwoloboff, Tschernyschkow, südl. des Tschir bis Ssinjatkin, Nowo Derbenowskij.
So Moro.II leaves Sivolobov by night for Novo Derbenovskij on 3.12.42. ....
There are bases for doubts of that the battalion Morozovsky II has left nevertheless in Novo-Derbenovsky.
On December, 1-2st this battalion together with a battalion Morozovsky I participated in attack on Deev. Captured from these battalions were are taken as in the middle and the end of December.
How much I remember, in area Novo-Derbenovsky captured from a battalion Morozovsky II was not. But, probably, it is necessary to check up once again.

Route Battalion Morozovsky II according to this document
Attachments
Route Btl  Mo-II.jpg

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 11 Oct 2011, 17:27

Hi, ATH
I will come out with the assumption.
OoB Gr. Stumpfeld from 3.12.42 it is not carry out (or partially carry out) plan of reorganisation this Gr in 94th infantry division. Besides it obviously not up to the end fulfilled document as there are no elements Kg. Schmidt.
The document shows what battles groups it was supposed to include in structure Gr Stumpfeld. But it does not mean, that the plan has been carry out so.
Look a map of a staff of AG Don from 7.12.42.
It is difficult to read a map, but, in my opinion, on this map the battalion Morozovsky II is noted in a Sivolobov (together with 3/177 Sich. Rg). Or not?

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 08 Nov 2011, 12:28

The Wehrmacht's documents should be sorted on "working" and "historical".
For example. The colonel Schmidt's order №1 from 24.11.41 or the lt. general Lücht's order № 42 from 06.12.42 intended for use in battle work are the "working" documents..
On the other hand, situational maps of 336th ID for December, 6-9th, 1942 were made not for battle work, this "historical” documents, that is for KTB. To use "historical" documents it is possible only as an auxiliary material and it is very cautious. For reconstruction of real actions such documents are not suitable.

The situational map of 48th Pz. Korps on which position is shown, ostensibly, at 14 o'clock 00 min 14.12.42 is "historical" also

To be convinced of it it is not difficult.
In the beginning it is short how events around bridgehead after battle for state farm 79 developed.
By the end of day on December, 8th opponents held about the same position, that in the morning on December, 7th.
On December, 9th essential operations was not.
On December, 9th on bridgehead has arrived 47th Guards Rifle Division and 8th Separate Guards Tank Brigade.
The same day on December, 9th 216th TBr has departure in the Kalatch on connections with the 26 Tank Corps. 5 tanks KV and 10 tanks T-60 which demanded repair, the brigade has transferred in 1 TC.

By the way, on December, 8th 1942, that is in that day when the lt.colonel Kozhanov's brigade conducted battle in an encirclement in state farm 79 with superior forces of the opponent, left order Stavka Supreme Commander in Chief on assignment to this brigade of the honourable name Guards, it began to be called 15th Guards tank brigade.

On December, 9th there was an Stavka's instruction of about formation of 5th Shock Army to which from 5th Tank Army have passed the formations taking positions between Chir and Don (4th Guards Rifle Division, 258th Rifle Division and 3rd Guards Cavalry Corps). Thus 5th and 6th Guards Cavalry Divisions (which positions on bridgehead to the north Lisinsky took) temporarily till December, 13th remained in operative submission of 5th Tank Army. In total in these two cavalry divisions was less than 1000 persons.
Command of all troops on bridgehead was entrusted to the commander of 47th Guards Rifle Division major general Fokanov.
On bridgehead were:
333 RD, 47 GRD, 1TC, 8 SGTBr, to 1000 persons from 5GCD and 6 GCD, 8th Separate Motorcycle Regiment and 10 english tanks Mk-II 168TR/5MC.
English tanks have not been adapted for actions in winter conditions. They could not overcome abrupt slopes of heights on a frozen ground. On their crawler bands have welded armature, but it has a little helped. Therefore English tanks used as motionless fire points, them towed from one place on another by means of the Soviet tanks.
On December, 10th the gen. Fokanov's group troops has been attacked from different directions by 48th Pz. Korps. Attack had strong support from assault aircraft Lüftwaffe, and as Italian aircraft. In total on December, 10th the aircraft of the opponent has made on bridgehead about 1000 planes-touches
The Soviet aircraft over bridgehead was not, as a result of a unit of 5TA have started to recede slowly to coast Chir.
Major gen. Fokanov has directed the radiogramm to the commander of 5th Tank Army lt. gen. Romanenko.

========================
Microphone
10 o'clock 09 min.

To whom: Sergeev

The opponent continuously groups of 30-40 planes bombs our fighting positions and my CP.
The communication centre is broken, connection with units is broken
Assist aircraft
The farm Ostrovsky is destroyed

Dubov - Ol'khov

It is informed

[Resolution lt.gen. Romanenko]
It is necessary to transfer to Fedorov, Krasovsky, Novikov, To Chief of Joint Staff of Red Army with addition:
Our aircraft does not reach a battle field
The front aircraft does not help

[signature]Romanenko
===========================

Microphone - signal radio station of 47th GSD
Dubov - Fokanov's pseudonym
Sergeev - Romanenko's pseudonym
Feodorov - Vatutin's pseudonym

The Chief of the Joint Staff gen. Vasilevsky has reported on it on I.Stalin who has dictated at once instruction Stavka of Supreme Commander in Chief of the following content

=======================
The instruction of Stavka Supreme Commander in Chief
№170706

To the Commander of troops and chief of a staff of Southwest front,
To the chief of a staff of the Air Forces of Red Army,
To the commander of troops of 5th Tank Army.

On December, 11th, 1942
03 o'clock 45 min.

I demand, that you have rendered to 5th tank army the regular help aircraft.
Execution to inform.

I.STALIN
===========================

On December, 11th German troops have renewed attacks to bridgehead, this day they have achieved the maximum territorial success. In second half of day on December, 11th over bridgehead there were fighters VVS of Red Army and have paralysed Lüftwaffe actions. On December, 11th on bridgehead has arrived 10 english tanks from structure of 168th Tank Regiment of 5th Mechanised Corps.

On December, 12th generals Knobelsdorff, Balck, Lücht and Stumpfeld have continued to attack bridgehead, but already without support from a Lüftwaffe. Carrying out Stalin's instruction, fighters VVS did not suppose planes of the opponent to bridgehead. As a result all attacks of Germans have been left with the big losses for them.
This day to a Surovikino there have arrived forward units of brigades of 5th MC.

On December, 13th these units of 5th MC have crossed the river Chir to the west of a Surovikino and has grasped the Nizh.Kalinovka and Chuvilevsky.
Batallions Kharkov-II, 541st security batallion and "hundred" Ukrainians-nationalists have been broken.

Simultaneously, on December, 13th the general Fokanov's group of has counterattacked from bridgehead.
Lt. colonel Belik - the commander of 8th separate motorcycle regiment - has obtained the order from a gen. Romanenko to grasp height 157.8 and anonymous height of 1 km to the south of this height.
This task has been carried out - at 10 o'clock on December, 13th, 1942 the regiment has grasped height 157.8 and anonymous height of 1 km to the south of height 157.8.
All attempts undertaken by gen. Balk within December, 13th to return these heights of success had no.

More low I give translation of reports of the commander of 8th SMR of lt. colonel Belik which it transferred to the commander of 5th TA to gen. Romanenko
======================
To whom: Romanenko
From whom: Belik
12 hours 00 min.

Your order is executed.
Height 157.8 and anonymous height of 1 km to the south of height 157.8 took.
The neighbour on the right - 1118 regiment - has lagged behind on 1.5 km.
The opponent strongly counterattacks my right flank.
I have losses of 50 % of staff.
I ask to give instructions for 47th rifle division and especially 333rd rifle division and it to 1118 RR that has accelerated movement on height 155.0 for that success which is extracted at height 157.8 and anonymous, it will be cancelled.

[Signature] Belik

[The hand-written resolution major general Romanenko]
To Zherebin [colonel - commander of 333rd SD]
To Fokanov [major general - commander of 47th GSD]

[Signature] Romamenko
=============.
13 hours 00 min.

12.35 13.12.42 opponent from height 155.0 attacked my right flank. 30 tanks and 2 company infantry.
The neighbour on the right 333rd RD on height of 155.0 influences does not render. Once again I ask to give the order of 333rd RD to help on the right because that success which was at 10.00 at capture of height 157.8 and anonymous height of 1 km to the south of height 157.8 will be ineffectual.
I sustain the big losses, I constrain the opponent.

[Signature] Belik
==========================

17 hours 00 min.

Having obtained your order on capture of height 157.8 and anonymous height of 1 km to the south of height 157.8 has executed. These heights took.
In 12.00 13.12.42 30 tanks and 2 company motor-infantry counterattacked my right flank from a direction of height 155.0. Fight lasted two hours, counterattack has been beaten off. 4 tanks are shot down, 182 Hitlerites are destroyed including three officers.
The opponent has departed to height 155.0
Counterattack of the opponent has turned out as a result:
1) 1118 SR of 333rd RD has begun approach at 8.00 13.12.42 and did not all influence at height 155.0 and height 129.0
2) Tanks of 1st Corps which supported 1118 RR, have promoted to a road fork of 2 km to the west Ostrovsky and have turned back /12 tanks/, having met fire of anti-tank guns and 3 tanks T-3. Infantry of 1118 SR, having seen, that tanks have returned, has departed back.
For day of fight I have spent 2 units of fire, 3 units of fire of mines. The artillery battery of my regiment remained ahead of the departed tanks and infantry, constraining movement of tanks the opponent. In batteries remains on 2 persons in the gun crews.
Companies are attacked from 3 directions. Under fire of the opponent were fixed of height 157.8 and anonymous height of 1 km to the south of height 157.8. Motorcycle company have lost on 60 % of staff. Now in a regiment of fighting structure there were 100 man of motorcyclists.
For three days of fight the regiment has destroyed 8 tanks, 8 mortars, 6 guns, 840 Hitlerites.
15 cars, 3 armoured cars are broken.
That is counted up in the field of fight, it is difficult to define it in the heart of loss of Germans from a mortar and artillery fire.
In companies remains on 1-2 persons of commanding structure.
I ask your instructions of motorcyclists to keep.

[Signature] Belik
=======================
Copy: to Fokanov

At 17.15 13.12.42 on road mark 160.3 - Surovikino has passed a column to 40 average tanks and to 2 regiments of infantry. The head was at this time a joint expensively to the north of a mark 129.0 in a direction on Surovikino.

[Signature] Belik
================

From last the Belik's message it is visible, that in the end of day on December, 13th 11th Panzer Division starts to be put forward from region of state farm 79-height 157.8-height 161 to the Nizhnyaya Kalinovka, for struggle against units of 5th Mechanised Corps.

Here a fragment of a situational map 48 Pz.Koprs at 14 o'clock 00 min 14.12.42.
On this fragment position of units 48 Pz K is shown in region state farm 79 - Sulatsky - Savinsky - Lisinsky. Yellow line underlines height 157.8, a yellow fat point - anonymous height of 1 km to the south of height 157.8 and the yellow half ring is height 161.

On a situational map all points are held by Wehrmacht's units. Whereas actually there there were units of 5th Tank Aarmy. Height 161 Germans could not keep any day at all.
As on a German map it is difficult to read the name of points I give Russian map of this site on which names of heights and points are well visible
Attachments
Sovkhoz79_Sulatsky_Savinsky_Lisinsky_48PzK_mod.jpg
Region state farm 79-Sulatskij-Savinskij-Lisinsky on a situational map 48PzKorp on 14.00 14.12.42
Sovkhoz79_Savinsky_Sulathky_Lisinsky.jpg
Region state farm 79-Sulatskij-Savinskij-Lisinsky on Russian map.
image_h157_8_from_h155_0.jpg
View on height 157.8 from height 155.0
Last edited by Yuri on 08 Nov 2011, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 08 Nov 2011, 12:42

Northwest slope of height 157.8 and the east slopes from coast Chir
Attachments
Slopes_h157_8.jpg
Northwest slope of height 157.8
East_Slopes.jpg
English tanks could not rise from coast Chir on these slopes

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 11 Nov 2011, 17:49

I ask to excuse for a gross blunder in translation of last message of lieutenant colonel Belik
I give corrections
Copy: to Fokanov

At 17.15 13.12.42 on road mark 160.3 - Surovikino has passed a column to 40 average tanks and to 2 regiments of infantry. The head was at this time a road junction to the north of a mark 129.0 in a direction on Surovikino.

[Signature] Belik
However, we will continue

Specifications about 216th Tank Brigade
I have learnt the following.
As arrival of units of 5th mechanised corps lingered over, gen. Romanenko has asked to leave lt. colonel Kozhanov's brigade in its submission.
Such permission has been received. In the morning of 10.12.42 216th TBr has come back to bridgehead. Thus, rendezvous the brigade of a lt. colonel Kozhanov to 11th Panzer Division of general Balk has proceeded and after battle for state farm 79.
I have tried to find in archive of the message of a headquarters this brigades about its actions in bridgehead defence. I managed to find such documents.

From 10.12.42 till 23 o’clock 00 min. 11.12.42 of the brigade defended height 161.
From 23 o'clock 11.12.42 till 7 o'clock 00 min. 13.12.42 the brigade was near farm Ostrovsky as a reserve of gen. Fokanov - the commander of troops on bridgehead.
On December, 13th participated in counter-attack on a site 333 RD, operated in a direction of heights 129.0 and 155.0.

I make translation of two interesting messages of a headquarters of this brigade

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 11 Nov 2011, 18:16

First message of a headquarters of a lieutenant colonel Kozhanov's brigade
To Chief of a headquarters of 5th Tank Army
The battle report
Headquarters of 216th Tank Brigade
10 o'clock 00 min of 13.12.42 400 m. northeast from Sviridovsky
Map 100000

At 6 o'clock 30 minutes 10.12.42 brigade has held defence in region height 161, having covered farm Ostrovsky from southwest.
The opponent came about sides MTF and State farm №79 force of 35-40 tanks and to an infantry division. In defence was: 4 tanks KV, one Т-34, two Т-70 and the rests of the Motorized-Rifle Machine-Gun batallion in number of 50 man. Other tanks KV were under repair in the SVIRIDOVSKY. With a dawn the aircraft of the opponent has started to show exclusive activity, making continuous bombardment position area of tanks by 15-20 planes. The opponent conducted intensive the artillery-mortar fire owing to what the infantry has departed for tanks. The brigade conducted active defence and has beaten off 2 attacks of the opponent, having put to it the following damage: 8 tanks, to 15 wheel cars, 20-30 vehicles are burnt, destroyed to 300 soldiers and officers. The losses: 2 tanks - one KV and one T-34 are shot down. To evening of 11.12.42 the opponent has departed on initial positions. On the right neighbours was not. At the left defended 117 and 89 TBr which have lost almost all tanks.
Brigade structure on 18.00 12.12.42:
1. Fighting vehicles:
The serviceable: KV-5, T-70,-1
The faulty: KV-3, T-70 - 1, T-34 - 1
2. Staff - in quantity:
Commanding structure 134,
Younger commanding structure 191,
The private soldier 238,
In total 563
3. Arms:
Rifles 56,
Automatic machines 20,
Machine guns 2,
Mortars 2
4. Motor transport:
Lorries - 33,
Special - 11,
Trophy cargo - 4
5. Security of a brigade:
PETROLEUM PRODUCTS: gasoil of 3000 kg, gasoline - KB-70 - 1000 kg, gasoline 2nd grade - 200 kg, oil MK - 2000 kg
Ammunition: 76 mm - 1430 pieces, 45 mm - 420 pieces, mines of 82 mm - 190 pieces, a rifle of cartridges 5900
6. Losses in personnel - killed, wounded and missing persons of 507 persons / from the beginning of battle actions / (there is in view of loss from the beginning of operation an Uranium - that is from 19.11.42 - Yiri)
From 23.00 11.12.42 till 7.00 13.12.42 the brigade defended Ostrovsky, covering roads from the side Golovsky and state farm №79. The opponent conducted artillery and a mortar fire. The aircraft of the opponent showed activity, however was held down by actions of our fighters. The faulty equipment was corrected in Sviridovsky. At 15 o'clock 30 min. 12.12.42 have been obtained the order on Army about general approach to 13.12.42
At 23 o'clock 00 minutes 12.12.42 brigade has received a task of the Commander of Army together with 333 RD to attack the opponent, to restore position, to capture heights 129.0 and 155.0, will be consolidated on this boundary and strongly to keep it.

The commander 216 TBr
The lieutenant colonel /Kozhanov/
The chief of a headquarters 216 ТБр
The captain /Malyshev/

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 11 Nov 2011, 19:57

Another message of 216 TBr
To the chief of a headquarters of 5th Tank Army
The battle report.
A headquarters of 216th Tank Brigade
8 o'clock 00 min 14.12.42
400 m to the Northeast Sveridovsky
Map 100000

At 7.00 13.12.42 the brigade according to the order of the commander of Army, together with units of 333rd RD has advanced to the attack on the opponent, having a task to capture of heights 129.0 and 155.0, will be consolidated on the given boundary and strongly to keep it. The opponent on the given boundary has created powerful anti-tank defence, having till 35-40 tanks, to 10 batteries of anti-tank artillery and to an infantry division.
The brigade has gone to attack in number of 5 KV.
On the approach to height 129.0 opponent has opened storm artillery fire, the infantry has lain down, tanks answered with fire, continued advancement forward. In an outcome of a battle it is destroyed: 5 batteries, 3 tanks and to 500 soldiers and officers of the opponent.
Our losses:
1. Tank of lt. Tokilin - 3 skating rinks are brought down, the crawler band is interrupted
2. The tank of lt. Turchak - a crack in a tower, skating rinks are shot down, P.Т.К is broken
3. The tank of lt. Drobinin - the tower is punched, the optics is broken, the rotary mechanism is broken, has jammed a gun, the anti-recoil device is broken.
4. The tank of senior lt. Komkov - the right unit of group of the motor is broken, are punched oil and a waterpipe, has jammed a tower, has jammed a transmission, the air cleaner is broken.
5. The tank of lt. Kostyrev - transmission is punched, onboard friction clutches are put out of action, has jammed a gun, oil and water tanks are broken
Are wounded: the commander of the gun from the Drobinin's crew and commander of company lt. Turchak.
All tanks are necessary for evacuating on the SPAM for restoration. For a night forces of a brigade had been restored two KV and one T-70 and are sent on an initial position.

The commander 216 TBr
The lieutenant colonel/Kozhanov/
The chief of a headquarters 216 TBr
The captain /Malyshev/

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 04 Dec 2011, 18:37

It is a little information on 216th TBr (later 15th Guards Tank Brigade)
and 8th Separate Motorcycle Regiment (later 3rd Separate Guards Motorcycle Regiment)
Attachments
216TBr(OoB).jpg
OoB 216 TBr 19/11/42
8SMR(OoB).jpg
OoB 8SMR 19/11/42

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 04 Dec 2011, 19:11

Extracts from two examination records Reiner Stahel where he informs some information on oneself, on the stay in Oblivskaya and on reception of oak leaves from Hitler's hands in Headquarters of the Fuhrer

First examination

Stahel Reiner, 1892 of a birth, the native of city Bilefild (Germany), the German, from a family of the officer, in the German army since 1911, the lieutenant general, non-party. It is awarded by Hitler a knightly cross with swords and oak leaves.
Question: Under whose order, and with what task you have arrived to 1918 to Finland?
The answer: By order of the German general headquarters I, with group of officers, in 1918 have passed to service in the Finnish army as the instructor. By then in Finland there was a civil war between revolutionaries and white finns. Into our problem entered to help the Finnish bourgeois government to rout revolutionary movement in Finland, and then to start building of the Finnish armed forces.
Question: How practically you carried out the problem set for you?
The answer: I have generated a brigade from the Finnish volunteers which under my management fought with units of the Finnish Red guards on Karelian isthmus. As a result of skilful actions under my management of a brigade, I managed to cut road Vyborg-Petrograd and, thus, substantially to promote revolution suppression in Finland. After this I, till the end of 1918, have been held by the organisation of the Finnish military units, up to that moment, when on request of representative Entente all German the instructor including I, have been removed from Finland.
Question: Under what circumstances?
The answer: I have received the invitation from acquaintances to me, on my last activity in Finland, the plant owner OKA and the deputy director of prison in a city of Abo-Heineman, to arrive to Abo and to start the organisation of so-called schüskor.
Question: Unless this trip for the purpose of schüskor organisation has not been co-ordinated with the German governmental circles?
The answer: Certainly, the German command and the government knew about my mission in Finland, however, not to excite the protest from the countries Entente, the German government with me did not support communication. Simultaneously, for the best masking, I have considered for necessary to accept the Finnish citizenship.
Question: What purposes were pursued by schüskor organisation?
The answer: Schüskor Organization pursued following problems: first, struggle against the internal enemy, i.e. the Finnish working class; secondly, strengthening by means of schüskor of isolated Finnish military units which at that time were base for any performances against Soviet Union. On this work I have been held till 1925.
Question: In what your personal participation in the organisation of Finnish schüskor consisted?
The answer: I was occupied with military preparation of schüskor and, mainly, its officer personnel in district Abo. For merits in business of the organisation of schüskor I have been awarded by the Finnish government a commander's cross of an award «White Rose».
Question: Than you were occupied after 1925?
The answer: In the end of 1925 I have left to Germany where till 1933 participated in a management of the textile enterprise belonging to my father.
Question: What political-military activity you were occupied with during this period of time?
The answer: With 1926 for 1932 I was a member of the monarchic union «Steel helmet». Since 1927 I was the head of the local organisation of the union of city Bilefild. In this post I accepted supervising participation in political strike, in the basic against communists and Social Democrats who were my main political opponents in region Bilefild. In November, 1933 after Hitler's coming to power, I have arrived again on service in the German army.
Question: How you had been met Hitler's arrival to the power?
The answer: I the same as also the majority of executives of "the Steel helmet», connected with Hitler's arrival to the power the big hopes of revival of the German military power and, have been assured that Hitler will manage to rout the revolutionary organisations of the German working class, increased by then till the menacing sizes.
Question: You accepted What participation in fascist revolution in Germany?
The answer: I did not accept Any participation in fascist revolution.
Question: Tell about passage of military service by you after 1933?
The answer: With 1933 on 1938 I served in the Military ministry and in the aircraft Ministry, and the organisation and development of the German antiaircraft artillery were my primary goal. With 1938 for 1940 I held various posts in air defence units of the German army, from the battery commander to the battalion commander inclusive. In the summer of 1940 I was given assignment in the German supervisory commission on disarmament of the French army.
Question: Who recommended you for work in the German supervisory commission?
The answer: For work I have been sent to the commission under the recommendation of the supervising employee of the Military ministry of Germany of colonel Mertich with which has been earlier connected on service.
Question: In what during service your duties consisted in the German supervisory commission?
The answer: I have been involved for work in the commission as the military expert. The control over a course of disarmament of the French anti-aircraft units has been assigned to me. Received as a result of carrying out of this action the weapon was transferred to arms of the German army.
In the end of March, 1941 after I have carried out the problems assigned to me, me by order of personnel administration of Air forces of Germany have withdrawn to Berlin where I was given assignment in a field army on East front.
Question: When and where you were given assignment?
The answer: on April, 1st, 1941 I have been appointed to East front as the commander of 34th anti-aircraft regiment which was a part of 2nd German air corps. Subdivisions of my regiment covered airdromes in Minsk, Baranovichi, Orsha, Smolensk, Schatalovka, Seshchinsky, Maloyaroslavets, Kaluga, the Anisovo-Goroditsche where units of 2nd air corps deployed.
I was in this post till March, 31st, 1942. Then till October, 5th, 1942, I, being am appointed by the commander of 99th antiaircraft regiment, participated in structure of VIII air corps in approach from region of Kursk in a direction: Voronezh, Millerovo, Tatsinskaya, the Kalatch, Orlovka. In region Orlovka participated in land battles against units of Red army. On October, 6th, 1942 I have been appointed by the commander of 4th Lüftwaffe Field Division, with a problem to hold defence to the east of Vitebsk.
In November-December, 1942 the Russian offensive has begun. I have been appointed by the commander of battle group "Oblivskaya", with a mission to hold defence on the river Chir. Daily my units had to beat off fierce attacks of two Russian divisions and Guards Cav Corps. On December, 31st, 1942 Russian have encircled and have partially routed the troops subordinated to me, but I nevertheless managed to deduce them from an environment and to make the way to the German lines in region Morozovskaya. On January, 5th, 1943 through illness I have been withdrawn to Germany, in the order of the Supreme command by armed forces.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 04 Dec 2011, 19:40

Second examination

Question: by the Investigation it is established, that you often communicated with Hitler and carried out a number of special commissions of the last. Show, when and under what circumstances you have approached with Hitler?
The answer: Earlier I showed on an investigation, that in November-December, 1942, being the commander of battle group "Oblivskaya", number of 5-6 thousand active bayonets, I held defence on the river Chir (inflow of Don) and within a month successfully beat off attacks of superior forces of Russian troops.
It is necessary to tell, that the German command attached special significance to this site of front. The commander of 4th air fleet field marshal Rihthofen spoke to me, in particular, that airdrome deduction Oblivskaya has especially great value for from it movement of a foodstuff and equipment to the encircled German troops near Stalingrad comes true.
On December, 31st, 1942 the Soviet troops have definitively routed my group, and me, with the pity rests, it was possible to slip out "Kessel" and to make the way to the German troops of Manstein's group. Nevertheless, my merits have been highly noted by command, and I have been presented to «oak leaves». On an existing order «oak leaves» to knightly degree of the Iron cross were handed over personally by Hitler. On January, 14th, 1943 I have arrived to region of Headquarters of Hitler near city Rastenburg in East Prussia, and on January, 16th the same year I have been accepted by Hitler who has handed over me the award. Thus, I have been presented for the first time Hitler.
Question: Show in more details about your meeting with Hitler.
The answer: In 11 o'clock in the morning I have arrived to the Hitler's Headquarters. The lieutenant colonel (later the colonel) von Below were the officer of communication from Air Forces command at Hitler, has told to me, that the Fuhrer hardly will accept me as the Headquarters as a whole reminds the ruined beehive where all hoots and buzzes only about one - about Stalingrad.
Von Below which I knew earlier, has confidentially informed me, that the Fuhrer has lost a dream and appetite, does not leave at all on fresh air and, therefore, that though a little it to disseminate, his confidants have presented to him a dog. «It now the closest being of the Fuhrer, - has added von Below. - With a dog he leaves a little to take a walk about the bunker».
About 15 o'clock in the afternoon von Below has invited me in a hall for the military meetings, arranged in so-called «a wooden barrack» - voluminous enough premise in immediate proximity to Hitler's personal bunker. In a hall behind a desk in full loneliness there was Hitler.
Me has amazed its swelled up, the person is visible from a sleeplessness. Hitler has risen because of a table, has quickly swallowed any powder, and then has approached to me and, having shaken hands, has told to me hardly audible voice: «I Congratulate, the colonel. I know your surname on an operative map. You well defended the position». With these words it has handed over me a small box with the award. There was a photographer, magnesium flash has flashed, and I have been embodied"in hand shake with the Fuhrer.
I wished to report on Hitler a number of the reasons concerning a worthless management of operations from a number of the higher officers, believing, that the Fuhrer will interest the message of the front officer who has arrived almost from the Stalingrad scorching heat. But far from it. At first Hitler a silent, crying voice muttered about treachery of Italians and the Romanian, left it to the mercy of fate, that, as he said, has caused rout near Stalingrad. I have taken advantage of a pause and have inserted the remark, that they say and at us, Germans, it is a lot of lacks of talent which not under force to compete with Russian. I wished to continue thought, but Hitler has interrupted me and, having raised the voice before shout and shaking for a sleeve, has begun to yell: «you are right, absolutely right! I am dissatisfied with generals, is terribly dissatisfied! Changes are necessary, it is necessary to pour in young blood in generals …» Here has entered ss-man and has reported on Hitler, that in a reception the general such (surnames I do not remember) expects. Hitler has become silent at once. « Farewell, misters », - he has addressed to me and von Below. We left a hall.
Von Below has calmed me behind a coffee cup, having declared, that Hitler not only me, but in general allows to tell to nobody of a word. With some "headquarters" irony he has noticed further, that my excitements are groundless, as, according to the Fuhrer, the Stalingrad battle only convulsive agony of the Soviet mode which has thrown to Volga all reserves. «We know, - continued with a self-satisfied smile von Below, - that soon Russian will sweep back on all front». The mood was that, is artificial supported by Hitler and his military advisers with a view of military propagation. This very day I have left to Berlin for rest and the treatment, suddenly interrupted with a new call in Hitler's Headquarters.
Question: How it was?
The answer: I was at home in Leipzig. At night, on February, 20th, 1943 to me the secretary of the chief of the Joint Staff of Air Forces Jeschonnek has called and has informed, that by order of Jeschonnek I with small luggage should take off immediately for Vinnitsa, in Hitler's Headquarters. On February, 21st I have arrived to Vinnitsa.
Question: Where the Headquarters placed?
The answer: Hitler's Headquarters has been arranged in wood, approximately in 10 km from a city. Unlike East Prussian Headquarters "Wolfsschanze" with its bunkers and pillboxes, the Headquarters in Vinnitsa carried a temporality; all premises were wooden, the truth, perfectly disguised under encircling district. Here there was my second meeting with Hitler.
Question: About what you spoke with Hitler during this meeting?
The answer: Me has met above mentioned von Below and immediately conducted on the second floor of the two-storeyed small house where Hitler with the nearest environment placed. On road von Below has had time to tell to me, that, possibly, still this night I should go to the city of Zaporozhye.
I admit, I was in full bewilderment. We have entered into a small room in which crowded at a map about ten generals and general-staff officers and among them the then chief of the Joint Staff of ground forces colonel general Zeitzler Hitler sat at a separate desk, also having inclined over a map. Having seen me, he has slightly risen and welcomed me characteristic for it one «gesture of the Fuhrer». I, on the established order, have thanked Hitler for assignment to me on February, 1st, 1943 first the general rank. Standing up for a table on which the map as I have made out, a map of region of Zaporozhye laid, Hitler in any strong excitation which reason for me has been explained later, has addressed to me with a stream of abrupt, chaotic instructions:
«I appoint you the chief of area defence of Zaporozhye. It is good, that you have arrived, my generals understand nothing neither economy, nor in the politician. One of them nearly has not lost Baltic. And so, Zaporozhye is very important. It is the Dneprovsky dam, manganous mines. Manganese is necessary to me for guns. Without guns even I cannot win war with Bolsheviks. They (nod towards the become silent generals) do not wish it to understand. Organise indestructible defence, do not forget about special value of airdrome as it is the unique, decent airdrome which has remained in our disposal on this site».
I have a little defiantly interfered with Hitler's monologue, that with one transport drivermans (обозниками) a task in view to me not to carry out. Zeitzler has hastened to declare, that it can throw in Zaporozhye 48th division from Kuban. “It agree, - Hitler has told, - henceforth you are subordinated personally to me. Report directly on me on all meeting difficulties”. Reception has been ended. A quarter of hour later I had interesting conversation with Zeitzler in an officer dining room. During this conversation Zeitzler has explained me the reason of extraordinary excitation of Hitler.

Question: In what this reason consisted?
The answer: Not fear to lose manganous mines was the reason of extreme excitation of Hitler as it has appeared. The Fuhrer has been frightened to death for the day before as to me has told Zeitzler, Hitler hardly was has not fallen into as a trophy in hands of the Soviet tankmen.
The matter is that on February, 20th, 1943 Russian have broken through front around a city Izyim, and one tank column managed to break in region of Zaporozhye where there has the day before arrived Hitler for a meeting with Manstein. Hitler's plane was in that airdrome which importance to me was interpreted by the Fuhrer. Russian tankmen were in 5 kilometres from airdrome when to them has blocked a way a German armored train with antiaircraft installations. Simultaneously from airdrome cover planes have been lifted. Russian tanks managed to be held back, and late at night Hitler by the plane with an escort of fighters has taken off for Vinnitsa. Hitler has been captured by a panic. It is enough to tell, that for all subsequent campaign he never left for limits of Germany, short of an arrival at 2 o'clock in Zaporozhye a month later. But then the front has been to a certain extent stabilised, and I have consolidated region of Zaporozhye under all recipes of German fortification.
Question: you met Hitler during its arrival in Zaporozhye?
The answer: Yes.
Question: Specify, when it was?
The answer: Approximately on March, 20th, 1943 I saw Hitler during a dinner where has been invited by its aide-de-camp, general Schmundt. During a dinner on which also there was Manstein and Richthofen, Hitler declared to me, that considers the problem set to me carried out and, that it will find soon for me other, not less important task.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 19 Dec 2011, 20:37

Well.Army generals Balck, v.Mellenthin, v. Knobelsdorff and their chief v.Manstein many years after an end of the war continuously introduced in minds of readers and listeners thought on incompetence of the grounding units of a Lüftwaffe.
At the same time from answers of the general Stahel we can see, that he had low opinion about generalship talents of the army colleagues. Moreover, Stahel has directly specified to Hitler, that just Balck, Lucht, v. Mellenthin and v. Knobelsdorff are guilty of rout of LW-GroundUnits on the river Chir.

Today, after almost seventy years, we can make own opinion on the one who is more guilty of accident burst on fields of state farm «Red Star» (it state farm 79) in December, 1942
For this purpose we will compare the working reports and maps of units of Red Army and situational maps of units 48th Tank Corps which are kindly given by dear GG.

These are situational maps of 336th ID of general Lucht for December, 6-7, 1942
Black/White copies do not give full representation about a landscape originality, therefore I give a colour map of this region in the same scale. On this map are well accurately visible balkas (the ravines or gully), making essential impact on a choice of positions both for attack and for defence.
However, it is a modern map, and flood plain of the river Chir more low Sulatsky it is flooded by the water storage basin created already after war.
Today the settlement Lininsky does not exist, it is flooded.
The settlement Golovsky during war has been destroyed, there was only a pair of houses, in one of which there lives very old woman, last live witness of those battles.
The note. The colour map is given only for a landscape estimation. Here for units of Red Army is shown position of a the general Fokanov's group troops for December, 9th 1942.
On December, 7-8th, 1942 47th Guards Division, 8th Guards Tank Brigade, 510th and 511th Flamethrower Tank Batallions were absent.
There, where positions of 47th division of guards are shown, operated 44th Motorised-Rifle Brigade, 10th Separate Prospecting Batallion and two batteries of 33rd Separate Anti-Tank Regiment of 1st Tank Corps
Attachments
336ID(sitmap)(6_12).jpg
SitMap 336ID 6-12-42
336ID(sitmap)(7-12).jpg
SitMap 336ID for 7-12-42
(M-38-122-123)Sur_Svkh79_Lis_mark.jpg
Modern map of region Surovikino-Lisinsky-state farm "Red Star" (state farm 79)

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 22 Dec 2011, 23:32

On a situational map of 336th ID are laid routes of movement of units of 5th Tank Army in conformity by reports of units and formations:
1) a working map 333 RD at 11 o'clock on December, 7th, 1942 (I have allocated positions LwRgt with dark blue colour)
2) reports of a headquarters 216th TBr, 117th, TBr, 89th TBr, 333rd RD, 1116 RR, 3rd GCC (6th GCD, 5th GCD and 32nd CD), 8th SMTsR.

Apparently, German defence has been broken through outside of strip LwRg:
1) in the North between heights 129.0 and 155.0, that is on a site of the colonel Selle's group
1st echelon (echelon of a breakthrough of the defences)
581st TBtl on southern slopes of height 129.0
581st TBtl on northern slopes of height 155.0

2nd echelon (echelon of development of success)8th SMTsP bypassing height 129.0 from the north
325th TBtl for 581st TBtl on northern slopes of height 155.0
326th TBtl to the south of height 155.0 after attack of 581st TBtl
The height 129.0 was grasped by a company of anti-tank rifles 1116 RR (company commander lieutenant Tarshilov)
The award a sheet
1. F. M. S. Tarshilov Leonid Sevastyanovich
2. Rank lieutenant
3. Post Commander of the protection company 1116th Rifle Regiment (the commander of company Anti-Tank Rifles)

It is represented to to a government award
4. Year of a birth 1923
5. Nationality Russian
6. Party membership non-party
7. Participation in civil war, the subsequent operations on protection of the USSR and Patriotic War (where when) did not participate
8. whether has wounds and a contusion in patriotic war has no
9. Since what time in Red Army since 1.2.1942
10. What RMC it is called Guryev regional by a military commissariat of the Guryev area .
11. Than it is earlier awarded (for what distinguish) awards has no
12. Constant home address represented to award and the address of his family field mail 361, unit 128.

I. Brief, is concrete account of a personal battle feat or merits
Comrade Tarshilov - is devoted to affair of the Lenin -Stalin's party and the socialist native land.
After the height 129.0 has been seize lieutenant Tarshilov has used the grasped German gun, has turned her aside the opponent and one without a crew has let out more than 180 shells. Therefore has shot down at height 155.0 one the German tank, one motor vehicle, has shot a coming column of Germans and has prevented counter-attack of the opponent.
For support by artillery fire from command of 1118th RR has received an official message of thanks.
Comrade Tarshilov for the shown boldness, courage and reasonable use of the technical equipment grasped at the enemy, is worthy a government award of an award of «Red Star»

The commander ( the chief )
The lieutenant colonel (the signature and a seal)

2) in the South defence has been broken through between heights 161 and 156.0, that is on a site of 686th Gr. Regiment
The tank batallions of 89th TBr operated so:
- the first tank batallion - in a direction on height 156.0 and then turn on west
- the second tank batallion to the east of height 161 on south with the subsequent turn on northwest in a direction on state farm 79.
- 44th MRBr on the south to the Derbentsev's balka. 10th SRecBtl in the second echelon. Here order № 39 has been grasped. On what of command points (656 GR or 656 GR) is grasped this document not clearly.
7.12 in region height 161 documents 336 ID are grasped, among them a battle-order on a division № 39. The division operates at the front: on the right - Adam's group - CHERNOVSKY, LISINSKY, POGODINSKY. At the left group SCHMIDT - state farm № 79/5 km to the northeast from W. AKSENOVSKY, SUROVIKINO, ZHIRKOV/. On the right regiment PASCHKE, at the left group SELLE.
Differentiating line/joints / height 158.3, height 155.0, OSTROVSKY, height 96.0.
Mission: capture of the lost positions.
The specified points to keep strongly, as a basis for offensive.
The listed subdivisions have strong reserves that them to hold in readiness and to engage to action.
336 ArtReg it is strengthened by the battery of group SELLE and 3rd heavy regiment of air defence.
Division headquarters of W. SOLONOVSKY.
Rear establishments and warehouses are in points: an army food warehouse CHERNYSHKOVSKY, TORMOSIN and a strong point / auxiliary base / NIZH. CHIRSKAYA.
2nd and 3rd batallions of 685th grenadierial regiment are completely attached to distributing point NIZHNE-CHIRSKAYA / the subordinate to group ADAM/.
According to Wöchentliche Stärkmeldung Pz. A.O.K. 4 as of 7 o'clock 05 min on December, 13th, 1942
- In 7 LwFD from 4 infantry batallions was: 2 starke Btl. u. 2 abgekäpftes Btl.
- In 336 ID from 9 infantry batallions was: 8 schwache Btl. u.1 abgekäpftes Btl
With the big share of probability it is possible to assume, that 1 abgekäpftes Btl in 336 ID it III/686 (which on December, 7th, 1942 was between heights 161 and 156.0).

If to take into consideration, that:
a) on arrival in region of state farm 79 all nine batallions in 336 ID were stärke Btl.
b) on site Lucht’s division were used others batallions Kg.Stumpfeld (except batallions Kg. Selle and Kg. Weicke),

That follows will agree with opinion of colonel Stahel in the relation generalship talents of army generals of 48th Tank Corps.
Attachments
336ID(sitmap)(6_12)mod.jpg
Modified SitMap of 336ID
Sit333SD(12-00_7-12-42).jpg
WorkMap 333RD 7-12-42

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”