Operation Barbarossa and Icebreaker

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
StaHit

Post by StaHit » 16 Nov 2005, 19:47

Kunikov wrote:That quote is taken from a source, I am not contradicting myself since those are not my words.

Where did I say that you contradicted your own words? Also this not the most important issue but that who was wrong here – you or Wegner? I think you’re wrong, because Soviet deployment started much earlier than in May.
They were massively concentrated in the few airfields that were available. Hence the high numbers of destroyed aircraft the Germans were able to generate in the first days of the war.
“Few” airfields? :? Rundstedt didn't think so and I think map confirms his words.
Btw, first of all why should I believe your claim? How do you know in what stage of building were those airfields? How do you know they weren’t in final stages of building and hadn’t to be finished very soon? And of course, you’re circumventing the crucial question why they were building aerodromes near the border at all instead of defense zones? Germans were also building the airfields near the border but I guess, that according to the traditionalists like you, that probably meant Germans were going to defend in June of 1941 :D
The map only shows 5 armies moving up, and there were only 1 million men in the first echelon, right along the border that is, not 3 million. The entire western military districts had only some 2.9 million men in all.
This is something I don't want to argue about at the moment, because I don't have my printed sources at hand. I took those numbers from the previous pages 10-15 of this thread, Oleg was participating at the moment and he didn't reject it. I know that there were 5,5 mil men at all in RKKA on June 22. If only 2.9 mil men were in all European part of SU, do you want to say that another part - 2.6 mil men was in Far East when SU had nonagression pact with Japan?
how many divisions were in those five armies? Btw, you ignored thin red lines which shows that the first echelon was moving to the border too.

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 16 Nov 2005, 19:51

StaHit wrote:
Where did I say that you contradicted your own words? Also this not the most important issue but that who was wrong here – you or Wegner? I think you’re wrong, because Soviet deployment started much earlier than in May.
Some deployments might have occurred earlier, but the close to 800,000 reservists were called up in May and the armies which started to move from the interior started in May as well.
“Few” airfields? :? Rundstedt didn't think so and I think map confirms his words.
Btw, first of all why should I believe your claim? How do you know in what stage of building were those airfields? How do you know they weren’t in final stages of building and hadn’t to be finished very soon? And of course, you’re circumventing the crucial question why they were building aerodromes near the border at all instead of defense zones? Germans were also building the airfields near the border but I guess, that according to the traditionalists like you that meant Germans were going to defend in June of 1941 :)
What you think doesn't matter, nor what Rundstedt thinks.
This is something I don't want to argue about at the moment, because I don't have my printed sources at hand. I took those numbers from the previous pages 10-15 of this thread, Oleg was participating at the moment and he didn't reject it. I know that there were 5,5 mil men at all in RKKA on June 22. If only 2.9 mil men were in all European part of SU, do you want to say that another part - 2.6 mil men was in Far East when SU had nonagression pact with Japan?
how many divisions were in those five armies? Btw, you ignored thin red lines which shows that the first echelon was moving to the border too.
If you don't want to argue stop posting.

paulmacg

Post by paulmacg » 16 Nov 2005, 20:22

StaHit wrote:From your non-answers and non-arguments to my very concrete questions I can only make a conclusion that I'm going into the right direction here. :lol:
Concrete questions like my repeated requests for an explanation of what constitutes "offensive posture". You've danced around that one for a week or two now.

BTW, Kunikov is right in every respect concerning the airfields. Russians were in the process of building numerous airfields, but in the meantime their planes were packed into the exisiting ones. This is established fact. I wasn't even aware the point was open to argument.

Cheers

Paul

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 16 Nov 2005, 20:30

The map only shows 5 armies moving up, and there were only 1 million men in the first echelon, right along the border that is, not 3 million. The entire western military districts had only some 2.9 million men in all.

Kunikov is right, and so in a sense is you. The Red army strength in the border military districts (and that includes Karelia and Odessa) is well established as somewhat less than 3 million. The point here is quite simply how you define "first echelon" and "right along the border". If you regard the whole forces on the Western MDs as the first echelon, then they had an initial strength of not much less than 3 million, if you consider only the forces covering the actual border, the number is smaller. In any event, the Western MDs are not synonymous with "European part of SU". The remaining 2.5 million or so men of the Red Army belonged not only to the forces in the Far East and the Caucasus (which were considerable), but also to other military districts in the interior, some of whom were in the European part and some of whom were not. Not all of these forces were field units. The Red Army of course, like all other armies, did not consist only of field forces, but also of a large apparatus for training, administration and so on. Hence, 5.5. million men is not the field strength, but rather the overall strength of the Soviet armed forces (if we add the Navy, which had roughly 400,000 men). This was at the time a considerably smaller force than the Wehrmacht.

In my opinion, you are pushing the argument too hard. You lack the detailed basis for it, and hence cannot produce a really valid argumentation. Again, in my opinion you need to acquaint yourself better with the state of the Red Army at the time before making assumptions you require for a theory that is based on other types of arguments. I do not think you will keep those assumptions after such a careful study. AFAICS there is nothing disingenious about Kunikov's argumentation here.

cheers

StaHit

Post by StaHit » 16 Nov 2005, 20:30

paulmacg wrote:This adds up to a grand total of 171 divisions of which most were severely understrength.
The chief of Red Army had more precise information on May 15 (translation by Oleg):
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... &start=165

3. Relying on the above suppositions we propose do deploy the Armed Forces of USSR as follows:
I. The Land forces of the Red Army , consisting of 198 rifle divisions, 61 tank division, 31 motorized division, 13 cavalry division , (total of 303 division and 74 artillery regiments of High Command Reserve) are to be deployed as follows:

a) main grouping, consisting of 163 rifle divisions, 58 tank divisions, 30 motorized division, and 7 cavalry division ( 258 division total) and 53 artillery regiments of RGK , to be deployed in the West; out of them - to give Northern, Northwestern, Western and South- Western Fronts - 136 rifle divisions, 44 tank divisions, 23 motorized divisions, 7 cavalry divisions ( total of 210 divisions) and 53 artillery regiments of RGK ; the High Command Reserve, which is to be deployed behind South-Western and Western Fronts is to consist of 27 rifle divisions, 14 tank divisions, 7 motorized divisions ( 48 divisions total).
b) The rest of the forces , consisting of 35 rifle divisions, 3 tank divisions, 1 motorized division, 7 cavalry divisions and 21 artillery regiments of RGK are assign to defend Far -Eastern, Southern and Northern borders of USSR; out of that number: at the Far East and in Trans-Baikal military district 22 rifle divisions, 3 tank divisions, 1 motorized division, 1 cavalry division and 14 artillery regiments of RGK. In the middle Asia - 2 mountain divisions, 3 cavalry divisions; in Trans-Caucasus region 8 rifle divisions, 2 cavalry divisions and 14 artillery regiments of RGK; for Black Sea coastal defense - 2 rifle divisions; for White Sea costal defense - 1 rifle division.
Concrete questions like my repeated requests for an explanation of what constitutes "offensive posture". You've danced around that one for a week or two now.
I demonstrated that Soviets were not acting according to their defensive theory at the time. I also showed that they were deploying MC's acording to their offensive theory at the time. What do you expect from me at the moment? If you don't agree I'm ready to hear counterarguments.
BTW, Kunikov is right in every respect concerning the airfields. Russians were in the process of building numerous airfields, but in the meantime their planes were packed into the exisiting ones. This is established fact. I wasn't even aware the point was open to argument.
Once again - may I hear the anwer to the question why Soviets were building airfiedls in a hurry near the border instead of defense zones???

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 16 Nov 2005, 20:33

3. Relying on the above suppositions we propose do deploy the Armed Forces of USSR as follows:
I. The Land forces of the Red Army , consisting of 198 rifle divisions, 61 tank division, 31 motorized division, 13 cavalry division , (total of 303 division and 74 artillery regiments of High Command Reserve) are to be deployed as follows:

a) main grouping, consisting of 163 rifle divisions, 58 tank divisions, 30 motorized division, and 7 cavalry division ( 258 division total) and 53 artillery regiments of RGK , to be deployed in the West; out of them - to give Northern, Northwestern, Western and South- Western Fronts - 136 rifle divisions, 44 tank divisions, 23 motorized divisions, 7 cavalry divisions ( total of 210 divisions) and 53 artillery regiments of RGK ; the High Command Reserve, which is to be deployed behind South-Western and Western Fronts is to consist of 27 rifle divisions, 14 tank divisions, 7 motorized divisions ( 48 divisions total).
b) The rest of the forces , consisting of 35 rifle divisions, 3 tank divisions, 1 motorized division, 7 cavalry divisions and 21 artillery regiments of RGK are assign to defend Far -Eastern, Southern and Northern borders of USSR; out of that number: at the Far East and in Trans-Baikal military district 22 rifle divisions, 3 tank divisions, 1 motorized division, 1 cavalry division and 14 artillery regiments of RGK. In the middle Asia - 2 mountain divisions, 3 cavalry divisions; in Trans-Caucasus region 8 rifle divisions, 2 cavalry divisions and 14 artillery regiments of RGK; for Black Sea coastal defense - 2 rifle divisions; for White Sea costal defense - 1 rifle division.
If I am not much mistaken, this is from the mobilisation plan, not an order to deploy the forces actually in existence on 15 May?

cheers

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 16 Nov 2005, 20:38

Isaev convincingly demonstrated (simultaneously shooting himself in the foot very badly) that according to the Soviet military statutes in fact there was no such thing as offensive or defensive deployment. Deployment is deployment - itself it cannot be called neither offensive nor defensive.That's why I want to translate his entire argumentation on that point, that you all Western military buffs could evaluate it, because Isaev arguments, IMO, contradict very strongly to Glantz's interpretation.
1. Why? Glantz' argument does not rest on an assumption of a Soviet defensive deployment. And, I think it is time you read Glantz before carrying on with this line of argumentation.
2. It argues against there having been an offensive deployment just as much as there having been a defensive, so it would seem to counter your argument as much as it counters Glantz.
3. If deployment is deployment regardless of offensive or defensive intention, then how is the soviet deployment an argument for offensive intention?

cheers

StaHit

Post by StaHit » 16 Nov 2005, 20:38

Qvist wrote:In my opinion, you are pushing the argument too hard. You lack the detailed basis for it, and hence cannot produce a really valid argumentation. Again, in my opinion you need to acquaint yourself better with the state of the Red Army at the time before making assumptions you require for a theory that is based on other types of arguments. I do not think you will keep those assumptions after such a careful study. AFAICS there is nothing disingenious about Kunikov's argumentation here.
I can agree that I lack some information in this department, but was I wrong that Red Army was not preparing to defend at all?

StaHit

Post by StaHit » 16 Nov 2005, 20:41

2. It argues against there having been an offensive deployment just as much as there having been a defensive, so it would seem to counter your argument as much as it counters Glantz.
3. If deployment is deployment regardless of offensive or defensive intention, then how is the soviet deployment an argument for offensive intention?
Those questions will be answered in detail when I post full translation. This is my last post this year.
If I am not much mistaken, this is from the mobilisation plan, not an order to deploy the forces actually in existence on 15 May
Now, this is not mobplan, all it required it was to do secret(partial) mobilization and it was done, btw.
Last edited by StaHit on 16 Nov 2005, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 16 Nov 2005, 20:43

Qvist wrote:
If I am not much mistaken, this is from the mobilisation plan, not an order to deploy the forces actually in existence on 15 May?

cheers
It is from a plan in case of war with Germany and her allies, he has highlighted irrelevant parts and ignored later on the more relevant and revealing parts. Notice he highlights 303, which constitutes the ENTIRE Red Army, yet leaves out the smaller number (210 divisions) which the northern, northwestern, wester, and south western fronts consisted of. Although even that I think is high hopes.

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 16 Nov 2005, 20:57

I can agree that I lack some information in this department, but was I wrong that Red Army was not preparing to defend at all?
Actually, yes. The strategic deployment plan that was being implemented, authored by Vasilevsky in 1940, explicitly assumed a German attack, which it was designed to counter. Revisions later that autumn maintained the basic character of the plan, while shifting the emphasis towards the south rather than the central sector. On this basis, each of the Western MDs prepared its own plan for the defense of its respective sections of the border, which were then gathered into a comprehensive deployment plan in April 1941. One thing it is important to realise was that planning was predicated on the assumption that there would be 10-15 days notice of a German attack, and hence time to deploy the covering forces while mobilisation took place. The Red Army units were not generally in their prescribed defensive positions on 22 June, in some cases they had to travel as far as 30-60 km to get to them, which was one of the many destructive consequences of strategic surprise. The Red Army was not deployed for defense on 22 June, but nor was it supposed to be - it was simply in a more or less peacetime and dispersed posture. SC, and doubtleslly also many other works if you read Russian, goes into great detail about avery aspect of both the planning and the deployments, and AFAICS none of it is inconsistent with a picture where defense against a possible German attack was the main framework.

cheers

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 16 Nov 2005, 21:15

A couple of pointless bickering posts were removed. Everybody, stay on topic, stop bickering.

Stahit - instead of refusing to answer other posters' questions and inventing new questions to ask of them (as you do with the airfields), start answering them. A good one would be the one by Paul.

I also suggest that you start working on your sources - your use of quotes from other posters to reinforce your point is not advancing the discussion.

All the best

Andreas

paulmacg

Post by paulmacg » 17 Nov 2005, 04:47

StaHit wrote:ALL Red Army was on the move to the Western border...
I think our impressions of this map differ somewhat. I see armies moving into second echelon defensive positions along the Dnepr which was in fact what they were doing.

20th Army was definitely not deploying to the Western Military District. 20th Army was in the process of deploying by rail to the Vitebsk-Orsha-Smolensk triangle where it was to build defenses along the Dnepr River. Most of the army was still in the Moscow Military District. It's deployment was never completed as the Germans arrived in the first week of July.

22nd Army was forming up along the Dnepr River. It was to form 20th Army's right flank from Vitebsk to Velikie Luki.

44th Rifle Corps was deploying to the Minsk area. It had barely started to form up when it was overrun.

19th Army was already positioned south of Kiev west of the southern Dnepr. 16th Army was right next to it. When the Germans invaded 19th Army was rushed north to support 20th Army, but was deployed piecemeal due to limited availability of rail cars. Needless to say, it did not fare well. Some of 16th Army (not even a full rifle corps and no heavy equipment) was moved to Smolensk itself, but barely had time to breath before Guderian's 29th Motorized Corps hit it in the second week of July. Any support that 19th and 16th Armies received most likely arrived from the Moscow area. The mechanized corps earmarked to support them were far beyond the reach of Soviet rail capacity and were forced to remain in the south. As a replacement, Moscow shipped down elements of the 5th and 7th Mechanized Corps (with very little support) to the Vitebsk area. These corps, never having seen a moment of combat, except for Luftwaffe harrassment, counterattacked and were torn to pieces in two days of fighting near Lepel. Reportedly, the corps KVs went into combat without AP ammunition and many of the T-34s had not been boresighted and so were unable to fire their main guns.

27th Army was concentrated about halfway between Riga and Luga coincidentally about the same distance from the front as 22nd, 21st, 16th and 19th Armies. All of them were arranged in clear defensive posture along major natural obstacles (like the Dnepr) which, also coincidentally, was exactly what pre-war Soviet defensive thinking called for.

Still stronger is the evidence provided by 13th Army deployed around Minsk which included a single understength rifle corps and two of the weakest mechanized corps in the Red Army OoB (20th MC was virtually bereft of vehicles of any type and marched into combat as an infantry formation). Given the importance of the Moscow axis I find it strange that the reserve army for Western Front was virtually being ignored.
Note, there was no full Soviet mobilization contrary to the German situation, but they already had 4 mil men IN PEACE TIME (while Germans in their turn were waging declared war with Britain) which were supposed to be deployed near the Western border in July.
I'm not sure where these numbers come from, but they are wrong. I already posted accurate figures for Red Army deployment in June of 1941. There were 57 divisions deployed in first echelon along the border, 52 understrength and relatively new divisions deployed in a distant second echelon (mostly along the Dnepr River and around Kiev) and 62 divisions in reserve. But note that reserve divisions were very much undertrength and short of equipment. Even at an accelerated pace most of them were not able to enter combat until August and even then were only able to do so with minimal support. Most of them were slashed to pieces.

The Red Army had succeeded in training around 11 million men in at least basic military practices. This was their saving grace.
I demonstrated that Soviets were not acting according to their defensive theory...
I don't see your arguments. Could you please post a quick link to them? IMO, the Red Army was clearly in defensive posture and was further preparing more defenses along the border and Dnepr River.
Oleg Grigoryev in page 12 wrote:MC is an exploitation formation; if anything it would have is ammo supply brought up later than the RC that were actually suppose to create breakthrough in which MC was suppose to go, and whose ammo expenditure would significantly exceed that of MC due to the very nature of the job they were suppose to do.
This person does not understand how a 1941 MC was supposed to function or the reality of their state of readiness. I have already posted detailed information showing the very real results of the poor state of the MCs.

Having said this, the state of the MCs, by itself, I only raise as evidence against an invasion in 1941. I also posit that they would have only been marginally better in 1942 unless a Soviet Industry could be quickly retooled to produce vast numbers of trucks and tractors. I also believe that the RKKA's performance in Poland and Finland could have left little doubt about the state of the MCs and the need for better logistics and organization.
And somehow traditionalists are very surprised that MCs were lacking ammo or not were brought to full strength and didn’t have enough fuel on June 22…
I find it difficult to find the words to express just how silly this statement is.
Soviets were acting exactly according to their offensive theory at the time. I think it was wrong theory and it seems later Soviets changed their mind during the course of war, but that doesn’t matter at all, when we’re talking about that what they were doing in summer 1941 – they were deploying according to their offensive theory.
This statement requires evidence which you have not provided despite several specific requests. My suggestion is to give an explanation of Soviet offensive theory and then to show how Soviet deployment in the Summer of 1941 matched it.
Kunikov said there were “few” airfields. I recommend counting all the Soviet airfields near the border in the map and comparing the number with German airfields :)
And I suggest you compare the number of aircraft in the VVS vs. the Luftwaffe and the comparative capabilities of those aircraft. I think you will find two very different beasts.
About the lack of ammo and fuel and transport – everything was on the way in the trains and was lost when Germans attacked first
I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. If it were true, that ammo and fuel would have shown up immediately on the battlefield once hostilities started. Even if they were loaded on trains, those supplies would still need to be moved from railheads to the troops and vehicles that needed them. Given the size of the forces and the distances involved, you are talking about a massive number of trucks which the Red Army simply did not have. The ultimate proof is the fate of Red Army mechanized and motorized forces. There is no other explanation for their demise.

I'm not sure if you are implying it or not, but the Luftwaffe was simply not responsible for the kind of destruction you are describing. No WWII air force ever accomplished anything even remotely similar to what you are describing.
Marshall of the SU, S.K Kurotkin said that "at the beggining of june,the soviet government(aka Stalin) agreed to sent 100000t of fuel from inside the country acording to the proposal of the general staff(aka Zhukov)"
(The rear of the Red Army during ww2,p 59)
The Red Army had over 20,000 tanks and hundreds of thousands of armoured cars, trucks and tractors. How much fuel do you suppose a force that large uses just in the run of its normal function? How much ammo?
So there was ammo.There was fuel.And the everything was lost in the first hours.How can this be defensive preparations?? Only if the Red Army was in the final stage of preparing an offensive ,you can explain the stupidity of such actions.Stupidity for a defensive war.Because for attack they were excellent.
I don't see how any of this proves anything.

Why did the shortages continue weeks after the start of the invasion? Why were the MCs leaving their tanks along the sides of the road even before they ever reached the battlefield? Why were Soviet formations going into battle weeks and months after the fact without ammo and weapons? Why did the Germans not report destroying or capturing these immense stockpiles that you claim existed?
And not to forget the Red Army was in trains when the germans attacked. Many units had to fight as soon as they disembarked,or worse were attacked while travelling towards the border. Heavy equipment such as tanks,guns were lost.It is impossible to disembark such equipment in the middle of the field.You need special sations for that.
That's a lot of trains.
gen A.S. Klemin says that "There were 47000 carriages carying military stuff on the railways at the beggining of july" (Vij,1985,Nr 3, p 67)

Let's analyze.We can assume that all this were loaded after june 22 and sent to the front.Wrong.After june 22 all fronts were asking empty carriages to carry the huge amounts of hardware and suplies already stored near the border.
Does this count the tens of thousands of trains you've already mentioned? What about the trains required to move 1 million men?
Paul, can you tell me now what was wrong with Soviet railroad capacity?
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. What I implied was that it was too low to accomplish anywhere near the kind of mass deployment of men and materiel that you are describing. Even under drastic circumstances, Soviet rail struggled to move only the rifle elements of 19th Army. It took over two weeks to move one incomplete rifle corps, with little or no heavy equipment, from Kiev to Vitebsk.
Btw, do you know what happened on June 14-17? Soviets started mass forced deportations of population to Siberia...
I didn't know that. It is a topic I know little about. What do historians have to say about it?
Btw, do you know what happened on June 14 simultaneously with the mass deportations, ah? The whole second echelon - one million soldiers and equipment with material supplies for the Red Army STARTED TO MOVE by trains to the Western borders in order to join 3 mil in the first echelon, but you are talking something about the lack of railroad capabilities. There was nothing wrong with railroad capabilities; just Soviets were doing GIANT deployment and deportations simultaneously in both opposite directions. Did our great specialist of Eastern front David M.Glantz mention that?
He didn't mention it. Neither did Clark, Erickson, Seaton or any other author I have ever read.

The Red Army did not have 3 million men in first echelon, but that is beside the point. Moving 1 million men by train is not an easy thing to do and even more difficult to hide. How many rail cars do you suppose would be needed to make it happen? Added to the massive amount of rail cars that you claim were already loaded with ammo, fuel and trucks I am stunned into silence by Russian rail capacity. I am even more mystified by the disappearance of said rail force once hostilities commenced. The Germans didn't make any claims to having destroyed it and the Russians certainly didn't sabotage it. So, where did it go?

Oddly enough, all of those second echelon troops were still digging in along the Stalin Line in July when the Germans reached them. Is it your argument that they all turned around in the same rail cars and went back to the Dnepr? What happened to those 1 million men? Where did they unload?

I'm curious. Where do you suppose the men who fought in the Battle of Smolensk came from?

Cheers

Paul

p.s. BTW, are you aware that Glantz has done more to raise awareness of the true valour and suffering of Red Army troops than all other authors combined? In fact, I am constantly impressed by his tireless devotion to making Westerners more aware of what really happened on the Eastern Front. Still more, he has been every bit as tireless in his efforts to put a human face to the Russian soldier we so cruelly forgot about after 1945. The vast majority of his books are written from the Soviet point of view. I can count the number of western authors who have tried to reverse the effects of Cold War propaganda on one hand. Only two of them have gone out of their way in an effort to ensure we do not forget the accomplishments of the Red Army.

paulmacg

Post by paulmacg » 17 Nov 2005, 06:32

Qvist wrote:Hello Paul

No problem - so long as you would explain to me just what I have failed to understand? :)
I only said maybe. :)

Remember, I'm discussing the logic of an argument for a Soviet attack in 1941. IMO, Glantz effectively shatters that argument and leaves it circling the toilet bowl. Political intentions for an attack in 1942 or later? Who knows? I don't think Glantz was aiming at that point.

In any case, I don't think you were going in that direction, but now I'll ask you directly. Do you think SC leaves the door open for the political intention of attacking in the Summer of 1941?

Cheers

Paul

paulmacg

Post by paulmacg » 17 Nov 2005, 07:55

StaHit wrote:Question to all my esteemed opponents – please, enlighten me – where were those antitank obstacles, mines and barbed wires when Germans attacked???
I found an answer to your question. Look at http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/weap ... es1941.htm for all of the pertinent information.

The Red Army deconstructed huge parts of the old Stalin Line and commenced operations on the new Molotov Line. There were a total of 4,927 fixed positions under construction, 880 already built and 575 manned and operational as of June 22, 1941.

Consider yourself enlightened.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”