mars

Re: Battle of Berlin: Soviet losses.

Post by mars » 16 May 2020, 14:33

Art wrote:
15 May 2020, 19:51
mars wrote:
14 May 2020, 17:44
considering the limited number of German units actually inside the Berlin
You see, even in May 2020 I cannot recall a single source which provides a comprehensive list of German units fighting in Berlin in suburbs not to speak of their strength and status. I find Hamilton's idea of the garrison (tiny remains of several divisions plus a mass of poorly armed Volkssturm) a little stretched.
Yeah, as dubious as his claim of "The Red Army suffered more casualties among its soldiers than during the six month siege of Stalingrad, and it lost more armoured vehicles than during the Battle of Kursk." (in 2020 !), but still it was a fact that main part of Germans army did not retreat into the city of Berlin, and major part of the battles in the Soviet Berlin offensive was fought outside of Berlin

Isee8836

Re: Battle of Berlin: Soviet losses.

Post by Isee8836 » 16 May 2020, 15:56

mars wrote:
16 May 2020, 14:33
Art wrote:
15 May 2020, 19:51
mars wrote:
14 May 2020, 17:44
considering the limited number of German units actually inside the Berlin
You see, even in May 2020 I cannot recall a single source which provides a comprehensive list of German units fighting in Berlin in suburbs not to speak of their strength and status. I find Hamilton's idea of the garrison (tiny remains of several divisions plus a mass of poorly armed Volkssturm) a little stretched.
Yeah, as dubious as his claim of "The Red Army suffered more casualties among its soldiers than during the six month siege of Stalingrad, and it lost more armoured vehicles than during the Battle of Kursk." (in 2020 !), but still it was a fact that main part of Germans army did not retreat into the city of Berlin, and major part of the battles in the Soviet Berlin offensive was fought outside of Berlin
I am afraid it is the editor's fault.
In his earlier work, "THE ODER FRONT 1945 Generaloberst Gotthard Heinrici, Heeresgruppe Weichsel and Germany’s Final Defense in the East, 20 March-3 May", Page 19, Hamilton's claim is "This final operation of the Russo-German campaign resulted in higher daily Soviet manpower losses than during Stalingrad and higher Soviet material losses than at Kursk."

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”