18th soviet army (1th Ukrainian Front) April-July 1944

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Art
Forum Staff

Re: 18th soviet army (1th Ukrainian Front) April-July 1944

Post by Art » 24 Aug 2009, 14:58

Neither Khruchtchev nor Brezhnev wrote anything valuable about the events.

juzio

Post by juzio » 04 Jan 2010, 13:11

Gentlemen,

I have few questions for Hungarian and Russian guys about Hungarian 2.Armd Div. in Galicia in 1944.

1.Could somebody tell me which JS-2 (1?) unit was fighting against the 2.Armd Div. near Slobodka Lesna in April 1944?
2.Who was commanding officer of the 3./4. heavy tank (stug) company?
3.I wonder to know company commanders of the 3./II and 3./III tank battalions as well.
4.On July 23rd two 2. division’s combat groups were fighting near Stanislawow against Soviet bridgeheads at Jezupol and Uscie Zielone respectively. Once again names of their commanders are required. One of them was Col. Kemenyffy (commander of 3rd Motorifles Regiment) but it is all I know. In some sources Col. Bercsenyi is also mentioned, but I suppose he took command over a combat group on the next day.
5.I’m looking for any information about activity of 3./II and 3./III tank battalions and 4th and 5th motorifles battalion on July 25th.
6.During retreat from Galicia Col. lt. Kalman was commander of one of the combat groups. Could somebody give me more info about that officer? Which troops consisted of his group?
7.By whom was Col. Kemenyffy substituted after his death on July 27th?

Sorry if somebody will find those questions as not “very professional”. I’m a freshman.

Thank you in advance.

J.

studiosus2

Post by studiosus2 » 13 Jan 2011, 15:24

I wanted to share following data regarding the fights of the topic (data provided by "Anzac", Soviet Military Awards Forum):

"AWARD LIST

1. Last Name, name and patronymic Zakrzhevskij Nikolai Ivanovich
2. Rank Senior Sergeant
3. Position, unit Gun Commander, 6th Battery, 1036th Stanislav Artillery Regiment, 161st Stanislav Rifle Division
Is recommended for the Government Award Order of the “ Red Star ”
4. Year of birth 1922
5. Nationality Russian
6. Party membership Member of the BKP(b) (All-Union Communist Party (Bolsheviks))
7. Participation in the civil war and other military actions aimed at the defense of the USSR (where and when) since 12.7.42 - 1st Voronezh Ukrainian Front
8. Wounds or contusions received during the Patriotic War Doesn’t have
9. In the Red Army since Since November 1941
10. Drafted by what district military commissariat Chemkent District Military Commissariat, Alma-ata Region
11. Previous awards Medal “For Bravery” - Order № 08/N of the 1036th Artillery Regiment
12. Permanent home address (of the prospective awardee or his/her family) Krasnoyarsk Province, Achinsk City, Promishlennaya Street 18. Mother: Zakrzhevskaya Valentina Cesarevna

I. Brief description of personal feat or merits

Comrade ZAKRZHEVSKIJ is on the front of the patriotic war since 12.7.42.
In the battle for the LUPEJKA grove on 13-14 July 1944 the guns, commanded by Comrade ZAKRZHEVSKIJ, led a blistering fire on the enemy counterattacking infantry and tanks. Due to the sharp fire, 8 enemy counterattacks were successfully repelled. One German tank was destroyed by our guns.

In the battle on 26.7.44 for the city STANISLAV his weapon, shooting direct fire on the buildup of enemy troops and auto transports, destroyed up to 35 German soldiers and officers and 4 motor vehicles with military supplies.
For the shown courage and bravery in the fight with the German occupiers he deserves the government award order of the “RED STAR”.

Commander of the 1036th Artillery Stanislav Regiment
Lieutenant Colonel (signed) / Biryukov /

25 August 1944

II. Conclusion of the Higher Command

Deserves the awarding of the government award
Order of the Glory 3rd Class

Commander of the 161st Stanislav Rifle Regiment
Colonel: (Signature) / Novozhilov /

31 August 1944"

I note that Lupejka (Lupejka forest) is located West of Ottynia.

Questions:Any data regarding the relevant artillery unit at the relevant time ? (equipment, structure, strength, location).

I also take the opportunity to repeat a question I have earlier asked in another chapter and which has not yet received any answer:

Hello gentlemen,
I am looking for information and sources regarding the fights of the 16 Pz Div west of Kolomea in May 1944, area defended by the 25th hungarian infantry division (Markowka - Rungury - Peczenizyn - Sloboda Rungurska).
Information about the soviet side is also welcome.
Are you aware of any contemporary or post-war witness accounts, fighting reports?
Many thanks in advance for any hints.
Hungarian sources indicate that the Hungarian 25. infantry division suffered very high losses in May and later in July 1944 in this area (they point to a massive Soviet attack on 16 May in Rungury introduced by a heavy artillery preparation which lasted several hours; it seems that the Hungarians lost Rungury on that day )

Studiosus

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 13 Jan 2011, 20:26

Regarding T-34s in July 1944: according to "Voyenno-Istorichesky Zhournal" ("Military History Journal"), No.8,1969 18 Army had 1 KV and 32 SU-76 in mid-July 1944 (by the start of the Lvov-Sandomierz operation). It's probable that some T-34s could arrive by the end of the month, but nothing positively indicates this in sources I have. 1 Guards Army to the north of Stanislaw region had 3 IS-122, 79 T-34, 1 light tank, 6 ISU-152, 6 SU-185, 5 SU-76, total 106 AFVs (both operational and in repair) in mid-July.

GESAR_24

Post by GESAR_24 » 04 Jan 2018, 23:50

Dear friends! I hope for your help!
Now I'm studying the history of this photo.

According to my information in the photo Ukraine. Kamenetz-Podolsky operation (spring-summer 1944). The officers of the 2nd tank battalion of the 63rd Guards Chelyabinsk Tank Brigade of the 10th Ural Volunteer Tank Corps examine the Hungarian tank 40M Turan 1 destroyed in battle.
I propose that this photo was taken in May-June 1944, since July the 63rd Chelyabinsk brigade took part in the capture of Lviv.
I hope that you will help me determine which unit of the Hungarian armed forces belonged to this tank and where could it be destroyed?

GESAR_24

Post by GESAR_24 » 05 Jan 2018, 12:07

Dear friends! I hope for your help!
Now I'm studying the history of this photo.

According to my information in the photo Ukraine. Kamenetz-Podolsky operation (spring-summer 1944). The officers of the 2nd tank battalion of the 63rd Guards Chelyabinsk Tank Brigade of the 10th Ural Volunteer Tank Corps examine the Hungarian tank 40M Turan 1 destroyed in battle.
I propose that this photo was taken in May-June 1944, since July the 63rd Chelyabinsk brigade took part in the capture of Lviv.
I hope that you will help me determine which unit of the Hungarian armed forces belonged to this tank and where could it be destroyed?

GESAR_24

Post by GESAR_24 » 14 Jan 2018, 16:10

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”