German Grenades On The Eastern Front

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
gavmeister13

German Grenades On The Eastern Front

Post by gavmeister13 » 03 Apr 2003, 14:45

i think i read somewhere that German grenades were often booby trapped for the ruskies. can anyone confirm this?

Napoleon XIV

Post by Napoleon XIV » 04 Apr 2003, 08:09

Yes most grenades are booby trapped. They have this nasty tendency to explode when handled a certain way. ;) :D

How would they booby trap them? Shorter fuses? Does anyone know?

Sorry i dont know anything about this...

Brig

Post by Brig » 07 Apr 2003, 01:18

that is true with egg grenades. They'd unscrew the cap and attach a trip wire. When tripped over, it would tug the unscrewed cap, pulling the string, which would ignite the grenade, and after a 4-5 second interval, well...BOOM.

The US used a similar idea with Pinapple grenades, and I'm sure other countries with round (non-stick) grenades did so as well

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 09 Apr 2003, 00:52

German Grenades Attack!

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 09 Apr 2003, 15:31

Germans had some very nasty ways to make standard Einhandsgranate 39 (the "egg grenate") a booby trap.
The standard fuse had 4-5 second delay but there was also 1 second delay fuse available.This short delay was separated from normal by painting the cap of igniter in red(longer fuse had light blue colour).Germans put 1 second fuse to grenade and left it to be captured by enemies.1 second is a bit too short time to throw a grenade :) .
When this trick become known to Russians,another trick was developed.The igniter set was removed and safety fuse section taken off.Then friction igniter was screwed directly into detonator housing and igniter set replaced in the grenade.This left the enemy even less time to throw grenade,because grenade exploted when cap was pulled off.

Regards/Juha

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”