Are daily reports available (Ovruch, Ukraine, August to November 1943)?

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
history1
Banned

Re: Are daily reports available (Ovruch, Ukraine, August to November 1943)?

Post by history1 » 14 Dec 2016, 23:09

What´s the content of this roll, Biber? Are you sure that there´s no other roll which provides you some informations?

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 15 Dec 2016, 02:11

Bummer, Biber..........I was afraid of that. But don't feel like the Lone Ranger - I rarely find the rolls I'm looking for either. This leaves 3 options:

1) Someone here might be able to help;
2) You could try to obtain it through interlibrary loan at your local library;
3) Buy the roll from NARA - I don't know the current cost, but I think it's somewhere around $125./per roll.

Good luck!

L.

Biber

Post by Biber » 15 Dec 2016, 03:04

history1 wrote:What´s the content of this roll, Biber? Are you sure that there´s no other roll which provides you some informations?
Korück 580, August-September '43. Other rolls are before or beyond the time frame I am looking for.

Biber

Post by Biber » 15 Dec 2016, 03:14

Larry D. wrote:Bummer, Biber..........I was afraid of that. But don't feel like the Lone Ranger - I rarely find the rolls I'm looking for either. This leaves 3 options:

1) Someone here might be able to help;
I'm used to looking for things that don't seem to exist. I am hopeful though.
Larry D. wrote: 2) You could try to obtain it through interlibrary loan at your local library;
Ah... er... would you believe I am a librarian? I'm embarrassed to admit that it didn't even occur to me to pursue it through library resources. Well, in my defense I work as (read: consolation career) a fine/performing arts librarian.
Larry D. wrote: 3) Buy the roll from NARA - I don't know the current cost, but I think it's somewhere around $125./per roll.
Yeah, that's my understanding too. Just a little steep for my purposes.

Still, I'm not giving up yet.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 15 Dec 2016, 16:04

Ah... er... would you believe I am a librarian? I'm embarrassed to admit that it didn't even occur to me to pursue it through library resources. Well, in my defense I work as (read: consolation career) a fine/performing arts librarian.
There are several U.S. university libraries that have all of the rolls from T-501. You could have the interlibrary loan librarian check the World Cat (Worldwide Catalog) for holders, but IIRC Ball State in Muncie/Indiana may be one of them. Two others that ring a bell in my old memory cells are Cal State at San Jose and Arizona State at Tempe. And that was 30 years ago. There are probably others now, too.

L.

Biber

Post by Biber » 16 Dec 2016, 18:01

Thank you, I've checked world cat and have not come up with any holdings for reel 81 from the T501 series. I'll keep looking, hopefully there is something I've overlooked.

Library catalog records are tricky things and are quite often annoyingly counter intuitive. What you see is, quite often not what it seems. Bibliographic records, to which item records are attached, account for an item in its entirety. That is, the bib record for a series will describe and account for all of the constituent elements (volumes etc). It is only with the item records, attached to the bib record, that a library's holdings are specified. So looking in First search (WorldCat) records for "Records of German Field Commands : rear areas, occupied territories, and others" each of the items listed that are not guides gives a description of "363 microfilm reels ; 35 mm." It is only when you follow through to the catalogs of the individual libraries that you actually see what reels they actually have. I'd say at least one in five ILL requests we get is for something we don't actually have. I'll double check the libraries you suggested just to make sure, but I didn't find any who had T501 R81. I'll also need to search further using different terms. Library cataloging can be, uh..., quite dumb at times so one should never settle on the results of their initial (second or even third!) search.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 16 Dec 2016, 20:08

Starting from scratch, you have been able to whittle it down to the exact roll you need, so I think just about anyone would view that as good progress. You are at the end of the rainbow but the pot of gold is just barely out of reach. Please let us know if you find some way to get Roll 81 on loan. Short of that, you might be able to get NARA to print out just the frames from R81 that you need, provided you can identify them. I'm not sure anymore what they charge per frame copied, but I'm guessing between 60¢ and $1.00. If you only need 10 to 20 pages or so and you know the frame numbers from the T-501 Guide, then this might be a cost effective way of doing it.

L.

Biber

Post by Biber » 16 Dec 2016, 20:23

Thank you, I'm very pleased with the progress I've made, especially I'm way out of my element - been a very steep learning curve. There's a lot to figure out before you can get your bearings in this area of research, and I certainly would not have made ANY headway were it not for the folks here.

Would that it were as simple as saying I want/need frames XX-XXX. Though there would always be that nagging question if there was anything pertinent on the page before or after that range! I'll keep looking though. Who knows, i might get lucky yet.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 16 Dec 2016, 21:59

Sorry Biber, but I absolutely don´t understand why you don´t try to get informations through the rolls dealing with the 19th Hungarian Infantry Division stationed in this Ukrainian town?

Biber

Post by Biber » 16 Dec 2016, 22:03

I'll look into it and see where I can go with it.

Biber

Post by Biber » 07 Apr 2017, 15:45

Update - microfilm ordered. Fingers crossed.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 07 Apr 2017, 16:48

I think the Slovak Security Division may have been operating in the area at about this time. Have you looked at Axis Slovakia by Axworthy? It has a chapter or two on its operations.

Cheers,

Sid

Biber

Post by Biber » 07 Apr 2017, 16:53

I'll give it a look, thank you.

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 26 Apr 2017, 22:09

Slovak security division oprated in area. Group of Slovak soldiers under Cpt Nalepka deserted to Saburov's partisans. Cpt Nalepka was KIA on November 16th 1943 while oprating alongside Soviet partisans. Awarded Hero of USSR for his last action. Interestingly Nalepka got Iron cross II class for his action against Poland in 1939.

Saburov himself personally visited some Slovak units while incognito. There is book on Slovak security division with very detailed almost dat by day description of their action in Soviet Union.

Biber

Post by Biber » 19 May 2017, 16:57

Update:

Well the microfilm arrived and I've been through the parts pertinent to my time frame twice now and I'll probably soon do a third run through. Sadly I haven't found anything of use with regard to the event in Ovruch I'm trying to confirm. The film covers Korueck 580 records for July -September 1943, and Ovruch isn't even mentioned until the later part of September. Most of the reports pertain to road and rail security, with a few field reports of engaging with "bandits" and on the strength of forces and a few quartermaster-type memos. I found nothing pertaining to sabotage of any civilian/military facilities inside of Ovruch. I'll keep looking though in case something got by me, at least a couple more times through the film before I give up. Anybody have any suggestions as to where to go from here?

Where might I find records on a lower level than the Korueck level administration - pecificall F.K.549 and O.K. 1/327?

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”