Fighting in Luga with Polizei-Division

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
ViKinG

Fighting in Luga with Polizei-Division

Post by ViKinG » 08 Apr 2017, 01:55

Hi everyone, I'm working on a section of the battle of Leningrad right now. I'm following the Polizei-Division along with the 269th infanterie division. Part of L. Korps. During the breakthrough of Luga in AGN sector (August-September) it pushed north to just south east of Gatchina. I have very detailed information of the fighting both divisions encountered however my sources never state which Red Army units the divisions were fighting against!! Does anybody have any detail on which units they would be facing precisely ? I have this for the Luga sector - 111th, 177th, 235th rifle divisions, 1st tank division, 3rd DNO's 1st rifle regiment, 260th and 262nd machine gun battalions and the Leningrad artillery school's machine gun battalion. Any help would be appreciated. Also here's another quick one, in the book - In Good faith by Friedrich Husemann , he mentions Polizei supporting a StuG Unit Page 71. Does anybody know which unit this was?? I'm thinking its StuG-Batterie 667 which fought at Sabesh supporting SS-Totenkopf and then moved to the Luga region in August 19th-27th. Also it took part in capturing Ishora between September 12th and 15th. What do you guys think?

Luc

Kelvin

Re: Fighting in Luga with Polizei-Division

Post by Kelvin » 08 Apr 2017, 16:23

I think you mean Luga pocket in late August to early Sept 1941, where Soviet 41 Rifle Corps with 111, 177 and 235 Rifle divisions were trapped. 8. Panzer division attacked from north, 96. infanterie division attacked from east, 269. infanterie division from west and Polizei division from south. I have no ideas if any minor units you mentioned involved in this battle.

ViKinG

Post by ViKinG » 08 Apr 2017, 17:59

Yes that's the right battle Kelvin, I'm just curious if there were other Soviet units involved in the battle, was the 41st rifle corps completely destroyed in the Luga Pocket? Also if someone can confirm the StuG Batterie..

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » 08 Apr 2017, 18:17

ViKinG wrote:Yes that's the right battle Kelvin, I'm just curious if there were other Soviet units involved in the battle, was the 41st rifle corps completely destroyed in the Luga Pocket? Also if someone can confirm the StuG Batterie..
Soviet casualties were 30,000 men, 20,000 of which were POW. I guess almost destroyed, regarding other units, I have no ideas. Some units you mention is minor units like MG battalions or school unit, probably included, just guess.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”