Would the Soviet Union cease to exist if Germany had won?

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Anthonest

Would the Soviet Union cease to exist if Germany had won?

Post by Anthonest » 19 Aug 2017, 07:54

This question isnt about how or if Germany could have won, but if they had forced the Soviets into an unconditional surrender, what would have happened then? Obviously they would have annexed astronomically large amounts of territory, but how much? Would they have outright annexed the entire country and given some to Japan perhaps? Or would they have let some kind of Siberian government have whats left of Russia? I personally doubt Hitler would allow a communist regime to stay in power anywhere near Greater Germany, but im unsure if he would oust the government entirely.

Dann Falk

Re: Would the Soviet Union cease to exist if Germany had won?

Post by Dann Falk » 19 Aug 2017, 18:00

Good Question...I my opinion:

1. The Soviet Union would have been exterminated in every way possible.

2. Russia, would have most likely survived in some much smaller form.

3. I agree, some territory would have went to Japan, but not much.

Dann

Guaporense
Banned

Post by Guaporense » 20 Aug 2017, 06:49

Their objective was to conquer the USSR up to the Urals. So the bulk of the USSR's territory, which was in Asia, was to remain there. Though it had only 1/4 of the USSR's population.
"In tactics, as in strategy, superiority in numbers is the most common element of victory." - Carl von Clausewitz

Net_Skater

Post by Net_Skater » 20 Aug 2017, 15:03

That is correct. Plans were to conquer USSR up to th Ural Mountain range. Bigger cities had to be erased. On conquerred territories Germans planned to establish a network of fortified settlements, local population as a slave labor force. Work, malnutrition, climat woud decimate this population therefore project included massive resettlement of German population.
Bear in mind, that wast part of USSR located east of Ural had only fraction of industry comparing part west of Ural.

Guaporense
Banned

Post by Guaporense » 21 Aug 2017, 08:54

They would need to exterminate a large fraction of the USSR's European population which was 130 million strong in 1939.
"In tactics, as in strategy, superiority in numbers is the most common element of victory." - Carl von Clausewitz

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”