German OOB Gorenjska/Oberkrain, Slovenia, December 1941?

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

German OOB Gorenjska/Oberkrain, Slovenia, December 1941?

Post by G. Trifkovic » 26 Apr 2018, 16:59

Hi,

can anyone provide me wit the list of German battalions of all armed branches which took part in the quelling of the so-called "December Uprising" in Gornjeska province, Slovenia? So far I have the following (thanks, Klemen):

- 44. Rez.Pol.Btl. (Major Klein),
- 93. Rez.Pol.Btl. (Major Wallesch),
- 171. Rez.Pol.Btl. (Major Willi Hertlein),
- 325. Rez.Pol.Btl. (Major Auscher),
- 1./Pz.Jg.Abt. 48 (unknown) and
- Polizei-Ski-Streif-Abt. (Major Otto Mann).

and

- 181. Res.Pol.Btl.
- SS Btl. "Westland".

I also found some info concerning the "322nd Btl.", but some sources say it's Landesschützen unit, others say it's police.

Also, I would appreciate if someone could throw some light on command arrangements. As far as I could gather, there were "Einsatzstab Südost" of the police, and "Wehrmachtsstab Süd" belonging to the army; so, what was their relationship, and who was in charge?

Thanks in advance; please add the full source for any information you might post as an answer.

Best,

Gaius

Mark V.

Re: German OOB Gorenjska/Oberkrain, Slovenia, December 1941?

Post by Mark V. » 28 Apr 2018, 00:14

Hi Gaius,

Your list is about right. Kdr. of Res.Pol.Btl.93 was Klein, Wallesch was Kdr. of Pol.Btl.44. Though in the order for the attack on Draschgoshe, in KTB Res.Pol.Btl.93, the Kdr of 44th is listed as Hptm.d.SchP. Kistner (BAB R20/217). Pz.Jg.Abt.48 was Pz.Jg.Ers.Abt.48. 322nd was a Landch.Btl. It was stationed around Domžale but was then apparently the first unit (or rather parts of it) available to be sent to the endangered area. Also in Gorenjska were Ldsch.Btl.857 and 510.
Pol.Einsatzstab Südost was in charge of the operations. There's little info (and some dubious) on the role of Wehrmachtstab Süd in the available literature and most likely it played only a supporting role.

Ferenc, Tone. "Množična vstaja na Gorenjskem decembra 1941," Borec: 12 (1971): 741-783.

Marko

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Re: German OOB Gorenjska/Oberkrain, Slovenia, December 1941?

Post by G. Trifkovic » 02 May 2018, 21:37

Hi Marko,

and a big (and belated) thanks for the info!

Best,

G.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”