Battle for Tisza River near Debrecen Hungary

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
kvrsq1

Battle for Tisza River near Debrecen Hungary

Post by kvrsq1 » 19 Feb 2019, 09:18

Hello.
I am researching about my Hungarian Granduncle who defended the Tisza River/Debrecen region of Hungary in October/November 1944. He was captured whilst defending the Tisza River area and sent to Russia as a prisoner of war (POW) and disappeared. After 9 years of research and armed with his POW record in Russian given by the Hungarian Military Archives, I visited Ukraine and found the location of the Hungarian prisoner of war cemetery where he is buried with many other Hungarian soldiers, but, the cemetery was bulldozed by the Soviets soon after WW2, land sold to unsuspecting Ukrainian locals who built houses over the top. I have also pieced together an interesting story to tell about his army career from his regiments involvement in the reclamation of Erdely in Romania and his posting there for 3 years to the defense of the Tisza River/Debrecen city area. With my contact with Ukrainian locals they provided information about a 'silver' cigarette case who's unknown Hungarian POW soldier owner held a passion for Erdely/Romania. I have written a report about this cigarette case. I would like to know a few things about the Hungarian 1st Army (I think) as I have my Granduncle's military information from the POW records BUT before I start I need to confirm his regiment/military details. I have these but I am not familiar with Hungarian WW2 military jargon. Can someone assist please. From this information I would like to find out where his regiment was positioned near the Tisza River at the time of his capture in November 1944 if possible. Knowing this will fill a huge gap in his and our family history. I will explain more if someone contacts me. I look forward to hearing from someone. Joe (In Australia)

Peter89

Re: Battle for Tisza River near Debrecen Hungary

Post by Peter89 » 22 Feb 2019, 10:35

Hello Joe,

sure, go ahead. Give us all the infos you can and I will help you to run a research in the most detailed database of the Hungarian military deceased.

http://www.haboruskeresoszolgalat.hu

Only in Hungarian, sadly.

We can identify his unit and its involvement in the late-war fights in the Battle of Debrecen.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

kvrsq1

Post by kvrsq1 » 23 Feb 2019, 04:25

Hello Peter
Thank you for your reply and interest.
It is a long story so I will try and be brief.
BOROS Janos is my granduncle (my grandmothers brother). He was a soldier in the Hungarian army during WW2. I am seeking his "military record" if it can be found as well as information about the "location of his capture". I have a copy of his official Russian language "Prisoner of War Record" (POW) and it has been translated into English. I am currently having the English version 'verified' by another Axis History member. From what I know he was sent to Erdely/Romania as part of the Hungarian reclamation forces in 1941 and lived there peacefully until the Soviet advance. As the Soviets advanced, the Hungarians withdrew from Romania and eventually they defended a line of defense near Debrecen and along the Tizsa River. It was in this region that Janos was captured. Just before the battle he managed to return to his village nearby (Besenyotelek) to say goodbye to his parents and was never heard from again until 9 years later through my research I was given his POW record and location of burial. He was taken prisoner and incarcerated in a Prisoner of War camp No 110 in Korosten city/Russia (today Ukraine). I also found that 20,000 Hungarians were sent to Korosten and 70,000 Germans. I went to Korosten city/Ukraine and with little information and with the help of locals and my translator we found the location of the Hungarian Prisoner of War cemetery that was bulldozed by the Soviets and land sold to locals. They built houses on top of the cemetery and to their surprise, found bones! They also did not know of the Hungarian and German POWs. As a side note, I married my Uki translator (In Ukraine) and Tania now lives with me in Sydney/Australia. Before I entered Ukraune I find this website: http://www.haboruskeresoszolgalat.hu I have tried to contact them with no luck. I contacted Lukács Tiborné Éva who is listed on this website as she has a relative who also was sent to Korosten and I have briefed her about all my trips. As another side note I have written reports and submitted them to the Hungarian Military Archives with...no reply. I also would like to know in what miltary unit Janos served in. The English translation say this: Type of unit: Infantry, (30th regiment, 1th division, machine gun Coy. If I can identify which Hungarian army he belonged too I may be able to work out a rough capture location from the military maps I have for Oct/Nov 1944. battle. I can email all these documents if it helps. I look forward to hearing from you. Joe [email protected]

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 23 Feb 2019, 09:24

Was he born in 1916?
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 23 Feb 2019, 09:48

We might continue this conversation in private emails.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 24 Feb 2019, 06:01

Establishing the name of the village in Heves County where he was taken prisoner might help with further research.
(Looks like Nagyút to me, but it's unclear).
Anyway, just looking at Soviet maps of that area from November 1944 looks like he was taken prisoner by units of Soviet 53rd Army.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 26 Feb 2019, 01:44

It appears that the name of the village in Soviet document is Шарут. That matches Sarud (Heves County) near Tisza river.

Some links to Soviet documents:

Main operation: https://pamyat-naroda.ru/ops/devyatyy-u ... i-vengrii/

57th Rifle Corps maps: https://pamyat-naroda.ru/warunit/57%20%D1%81%D0%BA/
There are some detailed maps of the area for 6th and 8th of November 1944

War diary of 57th Rifle Corps: https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/view/?id=130078970
Interesting entries for early November.

As now we know the location, perhaps there are some info in Hungarian sources?

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”