Battle in Berlin

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
R_T_K

Battle in Berlin

Post by R_T_K » 25 Sep 2019, 11:49

Hello im new here

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some detailed information on the defences and order of battle for the battle in berlin.
Which units and what were their dispositions, what were the defences like, how many tanks and anti aircraft guns and artillery and bunkers etc and if possible were.
I have a hard time trying to find information on this and i would also be thankful for any detailed map.

I have questions

Re: Battle in Berlin

Post by I have questions » 26 Sep 2019, 04:53

firstly, I would recommend just giving a basic search, get an outline of the battle. Secondly, I would be willing to help you fill in the blanks but this is a really well discussed/covered topic, there are numerous forum threads about this subject and plenty written about online and in books. I know of several first person accounts/histories but what scale are you looking for? Just the city battle or the battle for the city as well as the lead-up (Oder Bridgeheads, Kustrin, Seelow Heights, etc)? Again, do some digging. It shouldn't be hard to find the OOB for the Germans, at least on the divisional level. This forum is for less mainstream topics and questions that are not as general/well known as what you have just asked.

-Max

R_T_K

Post by R_T_K » 26 Sep 2019, 14:52

I have googled around a bit but im having trouble finding details.
I was interested in just the battle of the city itself.
I was wondering about the strenght and disposition of the divisions, how the defence was organized, how many tanks there were, how many were dug in, where they were positioned etc.

I have questions

Post by I have questions » 27 Sep 2019, 01:44

well, within the city, as far as armor was concerned, the remains of the 7th Panzer Division, 503rd SS Heavy Panzer Battalion, and the 11th SS Nordland's Panzer Regiment "Hermann von Salza" were all there, though I don't have numbers I think I remember hearing the Germans had a mere 60 tanks total, but don't quote me on it. I am writing this from memory, I'll come back later with better material. The 9th Fallschirmjager Division was there as well as a sizable SS presence, it would also be key to remember that most German ground troops were Volksturm and HJ, not organized units.

I have questions

Post by I have questions » 28 Sep 2019, 02:58

this is a thread which lists a few of the units present: viewtopic.php?t=186986
for more digging: http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... /Korps.htm
more stuff on the dispositions prior to Berlin (goes to March 1st): http://www.diedeutschewehrmacht.de/

this should get you what you want.

Germandocsinrussia is also a great source, all this should keep you from asking these silly questions.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”