Battle for Narva. Schwere Panzerabteilung 502. Info request for a battlefield study.

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
HassoCherrett

Battle for Narva. Schwere Panzerabteilung 502. Info request for a battlefield study.

Post by HassoCherrett » 29 Jun 2020, 14:15

Good afternoon all.

I was wondering if anyone could help me in obtaining the war diaries/after action reports for the Schwere Panzerabteilung 502 roughly from the 19th April 1944 to the end of the month.
Specifically interested in Op Strachwitz III in the Auwere, Lemitu and Waiwara areas.

Also if anyone has any first hand mapping or Arial photos of events in the area this would help me a lot.

I’ve read Most of the books out there on the subject. This research is for a battlefield study I’m having to plan for the area so I would now love some meat and bones like mapping and reports to help the students/soldiers with this study.

I understand reports are likely to be in German this is not a problem.

If anyone Has anything at all or could point me in the right direction please contact me I would appreciate it so much.

Thanks again

I have questions

Re: Battle for Narva. Schwere Panzerabteilung 502. Info request for a battlefield study.

Post by I have questions » 05 Jul 2020, 21:53

there are a number of documents included with Otto Carius' memoir. Though those are from March, June, and July. From pages 120-136 (or the whole of chapter 20) Carius recounts his experience of Strachwitz III. Given that he commanded the 2nd company of the 502nd, he probably had some insight into the planning process and the results, but it's been a while since I've read it so I'm fuzzy on just how thorough he was with this. In addition, less specific to Strachwitz III, he has some drawings of the battle area of the Strachwitz operations.

Not sure if you've already looked at all this, but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”