Germans in the UPA guerilla movement

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Edward L. Hsiao

Germans in the UPA guerilla movement

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 20 Feb 2021, 06:15

Were there any action reports of German soldiers fighting alongside with the UPA guerilla movement. The Germans came from stragglers or escape German POWs. There Germans in the UPA were still fighting even after the German surrender of May 1945. Correct me if I'm wrong but does the UPA had aircraft of its own?

Edward L. Hsiao

Eugen Pinak

Re: Germans in the UPA guerilla movement

Post by Eugen Pinak » 22 Feb 2021, 23:38

Edward L. Hsiao wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 06:15
Were there any action reports of German soldiers fighting alongside with the UPA guerilla movement. The Germans came from stragglers or escape German POWs. There Germans in the UPA were still fighting even after the German surrender of May 1945.
Different nationalities fought in UPA, but I can't remember any Germans among them.
Edward L. Hsiao wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 06:15
Correct me if I'm wrong but does the UPA had aircraft of its own?
I've heard stories about 3 aircraft.

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 23 Feb 2021, 07:37

Just in case if you don't know what UPA stands for,it stands for Ukrainian Partisan Army. This Army was armed mainly with captured Soviet weapons. The that the UPA had captured were Soviet too.

Edward L. Hsiao

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 24 Feb 2021, 01:29

The 'that' UPA had captured were Soviet aircraft.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 24 Feb 2021, 14:49

Hi Edward,

What Soviet aircraft, when and where?

What is your source?

I can find reference to one Po-2 in unknown condition taken back by the Red Army in 1944. The same source says of aircraft, ".....no OUN/UPA documents noted the usage of such equipment."

However, for your titillation, in the winter of 1938-39 the Sic Guard in Ruthenia did try to form an air force. From memory, it had five pilots in training but only two cars and no aircraft.

Cheers,

Sid.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 18 Mar 2021, 00:49

Hi Edward,

I have come across a photo of a UPA aircraft on p.202 of the following link: https://old.uinp.gov.ua/sites/default/f ... orenyh.pdf

It appears to be a German Go145 but the absence of the nearside wings rather undermines its potential usefulness!

However, it seems that a Soviet Po-2 was used on one occasion. A Google translation of the text reads:

"It is also known about cases when the insurgents hijacked planes: German reconnaissance Gotha 145 and Soviet U-2 (Po-2), which in the Red Army served as a scout and a bomber. We have a mention of the only case of the use of the plane by the insurgents, which, of course, was the exception, not the rule. During this flight, the flyers spread leaflets on the territory of Dolynshchyna (Ivano-Frankivsk region)."

The book might also be of wider use to you in your hunt for Germans in the UPA's ranks.

Cheers,

Sid

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 18 Mar 2021, 14:18

Edward L. Hsiao wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 07:37
Just in case if you don't know what UPA stands for,it stands for Ukrainian Partisan Army.
Ukrainian Insurgent Army. UPA is an abbreviation from the name in Ukrainian - Ukrainska Povstanska Armya.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”